Young adults doing a PDC

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tamara, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

Hi All,

I have a couple of young friends (12YO and 14YO) that have been helping me here on my acre at least every other day for over a year and a half now. They are well versed in planting guilds, fungus, planting trees, mulching, have helped me dig and can explain swales to visitors, orchard preparation and wattle interplanting, chook, duck and goose care, vegie sowing growing and harvesting - basically lots of practical stuff.

What I want to know is what is the youngest person that has done and enjoyed a PDC.

14YO girl (year 8) is at an intensive school to help her catch up her grades but if very good with her hands. She would probably not be able to sit for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks for a PDC. Has anyone taught a PDC to troubled teens?

12YO in performing well at school, (year 6) and is probably still a bit young to do a PDC similar to that I did with Geoff Lawton.

I would like them both to learn the design concepts of Permaculture, perhaps that they could apply here this summer (they are going to grow their own pumpkins to take home).

14YO might not finish high school - maybe a PDC at 16??

Anyone with some experience in these matters I would be really happy to hear from you.

Love to all,
    Tamara