Who else lives in my worm farm???

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Ellen, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I have one of these round commercial wormfarms now for a couple of months, and it's going quite well. However, the worms don't live alone!
    There are thousands of very tiny white somethings. I can't see legs, looks like little white worms, but they are just like 1 mm long! Can anybody tell me who these guys are? And if they are good or bad?? Thanks!!

2. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Ellen,

I have them too and while I can't tell you what they are, I can tell you that there will be hundreds and thousands of different insects and micro-organisms that live in your worm farm with your worms. They are nothing to worry about, and all form a part of the break-down cycle. Make sure you pour a good watering-can full of water over the top of the scraps every week (catching it in a bucket at the bottom for fertiliser) to ensure good worm farm health. This will ensure things don't become anaerobic and smelly. Keep the lid on well to ensure you don't allow fruit-fly in, and never feed fruit-fly-blown fruit to your worm farm, as they won't necessarily die in there.

Paula.

3. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

thanks Paula, then I will let them live in there happily. When the worm tea comes out of the "tap", these white guys are also in there, and then go to the garden. I hope they are also okay there???!