What's wrong with my apple trees?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Nomad Dan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Nomad Dan

Nomad Dan New Member

Climate:
    Temperate wetland, New Zealand
    Hello,

This is my first post so far. I've been practising Permaculture for about 5 or 6 years now in different locations around the world.
    I've started working on a Permaculture farm in New Zealand about 3 months ago. We're in a temperate climate in a wetland valley. There is a lot of rain, especially in winter, and a lot of wind. We get frosty nights in Winter, and it gets really hot in summer. We're on the north part of the South Island, in Marlborough.

On the property there are three old apple trees, I have no idea how old but at least 6 yrs (could be much much older though with stunted growth). They apparently bore no fruit last year, and this year I noticed their leaves browning and curling, and then noticed unusual knots and cracks in the bark. Looks a lot like burr knot with some kind of borer taking advantage of the knots and cracks- but no clear holes or anything for evidence of a borer? The trees are hosting a huge amount of lichen which shows that they are quite sick (or just old?). I can't tell what the problem is- because it could be a combination of things, can anyone identify it by the photos?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks in advance :)

2. Francisco Costa

Francisco Costa New Member

Studying
    Climate:
    Mediterranean
    can you add the photos again??

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C low, 35C high, 10cm rain/mo avg, clay, full sun
    sorry the pictures don't appear to have worked. please edit to fix.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Nomad Dan's images are hosted on Google Photos, which is notorious for having difficulty in posting to forums.
    If you "open image in a new tab" by either right-clicking in Windoze or ctrl-click on a Mac, you should be able to see them (worked for me anyhow).
    Here are the images. Google provides links to the image location (which is what Dan posted above). To post in the forum, you need to open the image by clicking on it, then right-click (or control-click on Mac) and select "Copy Image Address", then paste that direct link into the forum insert-photo dialog box. Clear as mud.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nomad Dan

Nomad Dan New Member

Climate:
    Temperate wetland, New Zealand
    Thanks for re-posting the pics! That method makes sense, I'll do that next time!

9anda1f likes this.
  6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    My apple tree did not produce any where near what they normally do last year either. This, I think was more to do with the weird weather than a problem with the trees themselves.
    One of mine also has a split going up the trunk. So too does one of my Plum trees. I was told that this was caused by the trees growing too quickly for the bark.
    This year though, so far, they have a load of fruit forming. It wasnt raining when they were in flower this year.
    How are the baby fruit looking this year?

Not too sure that the lichen is a sign of something wrong with the trees.