What disaster next?

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by fiona, Mar 16, 2011.

1. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
  2. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

The federal government has urged Australians within 80km of Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant to evacuate, amid mounting concerns of a full-scale meltdown.

The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) said Australians should observe an exclusion zone much bigger than the 20km one imposed by Japanese authorities.

"Australian officials in Tokyo can provide emergency loans to Australians who want to leave Japan but can't afford air tickets," the department said in a statement.
    excerpts

https://news.smh.com.au/breaking-ne...aussies-away-from-reactor-20110317-1bxyf.html

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
  4. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Building nuclear plants on the coast in eathquake/tsunami zones should not be allowed. Where are the regulators? Will the cost in human lives be in the accounting of their "cost effective plan"?
    _________________________________________________________________-
    Despite budget cuts, there were farsighted regulators. One of them, Stephen Hanauer, wrote an internal AEC memo in which he suggested that GE was less than serious about it's reported tests of reactors like those at Fukushima I:

"Recently we have reevaluated the GE test results and decided on a more conservative interpretation than has been used by GE all these years (and accepted by us). We now believe that the former interpretation was incorrect, using data from tests not applicable to accident conditions." Stephen J. Hanauer, Atomic Energy Commission New York Times pdf September 20, 1972 (Article)

GE's use of "data from tests not applicable to accident conditions" is the height of reckless cynicism taken to an extreme.

After praising the logic of Hanauer's the suggestion to discontinue the GE reactors with the Mark I design, nuclear energy chief Joseph M. Hendrie suggested that adopting the plan, "could well be the end of nuclear power." He concluded that such an act would generally create more turmoil than I can stand thinking about." Joseph M. Hendrie, 1972 from the New York Times pdf, March 17 (Article)
    excerpt
    https://www.opednews.com/articles/2/Power-Corrupts-Nuclear-Po-by-Michael-Collins-110320-47.html

5. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    They make no sense to me anyway. they are to easy a target for enemy planes and the devastation they cause.... To many people willing to die for a "godly cause." It also worries me whether one of these countries (un-named) would cause there own reactor(s) to blow on purpose. I mean Hitler began shelling his own people at the end of the war so why wouldn't another leader take the mindset "If I go down we ALL go down?"

6. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

7. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Do what? This is to much. When is this country going to revolt and remove our stupid leaders while placing barriers to prevent same from being bought by big industry. Sometimes it's shameful to be associated too this country.