Volunteer project Victoria, Australia to build your own and live for free

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Michael Zobel, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    cold temperate rainforest
    I want to create a community where people can live, grow their own food, do their own thing while looking after the environment and the community, be artistic and inventive, learn from each other and teach yet others again.

My Permaculture farm is 200km east of Melbourne in Gippsland,

The landscape is kind of like ‘lord of the rings’ story environment. A cold temperate rainforest. It is totally remote, stretching over several mountains and valleys with clean drinking water, native forest with massive centuries old trees (no pesticides ever been used to my knowledge). Cliffs, bridges, creeks, waterfalls, some old growth forest, fern trees, abundant wildlife etc. I guess you get the picture. We have a lot of rainfall so stuff never stops growing. But it gets cold in winter (frost).

I want to find like minded people and get together in spring, build some tiny houses, huts or hobbit houses together for us to live in. Also a big kitchen with pizza oven, a bath and a toilet or two. Initially we have about 15 to 20 acres to use but can expand later if we need to. If it works out, we all get on and you want to stay - we start some bigger projects over the years like an earthen (adobe or straw bale) training centre and community hall and an Earthship style underground house that doubles as a fire shelter. This is a big, wild place and will take years of hard work incl. building infrastructure such as roads, dams, bridges, power stations (solar and hydro) apart from food gardens and recreational gardens for us to enjoy. I have been potting along myself but really need help to get it all done.

I am experienced with concrete structures and sculpting, structural engineering, underground buildings, stonework, mosaic making and also alternative energy power generation and storage from solar, heat and water or wind. I will teach anyone who wants to learn. I myself studied engineering, became a bookkeeper, then tradesman (electrical), concreter and later logger – now I am a want to be farmer.

I am not experienced with growing food and would appreciate anyone who is keen to help design and implement a herbal/vegetable garden and food forest. I have started planting fruit/nut trees and veggies but have a long way to go. I’m looking for several people who are interested and motivated. If you have skills or experience, that’s even better. Maybe you want to stay for a few weeks or a few years. You live for free but share in the expenses (such as food until we grow our own, rates, fuel for machinery etc.). The long term goal it to be as self sufficient as possible and to create a very special, artistic, spiritual and inspirational paradise for humans and animals to enjoy.

Please respond if you are interested or simply have suggestions or ideas. Thanks from michael

Helenka likes this.
  2. Helenka

Helenka New Member

Climate:
    Cool, Rainy, Seasonal
    Sounds amazing Michael! Interested in helping out just for the experience. Me and my partner are doing a PDC atm and enjoy growing veggy gardens. We are both artists with backgrounds in animation and comics, and we also teach kids and adults how to draw. Would like to chat further.

3. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    Hi Helenka, Great – I love comics. Both of you must have a load of imagination and creativity (that’s what the world is missing) and soon you’ll know more than me about permaculture – I have never done a course. I’m not so good with veggies but good with trees and fruit. Please contact me on 0412172724. I’d love to meet up. Wherabouts is your PDC ? regards from michael

Helenka likes this.
  4. Helenka

Helenka New Member

Climate:
    Cool, Rainy, Seasonal
    I will give you a call and we can chat some more, cheers.

5. seanyb

seanyb New Member

Climate:
    temperate
    wow! what an amazing opportunity for yourself and like minded people.. I will be starting my PDC course in January , but would love to see your place and once I get more knowledge I would love to help out!

6. Nathan Czachur

Nathan Czachur New Member

Climate:
    UK, so mild summers and cool winters, with lots of rain!
    Hey Michael,

Reading your initial post got me so excited! I'm not sure if you're still going ahead with the project if you are I would love to help out.

I don't have any farming/ permaculture experience, but if you need a hand labouring I can help out and think its such a great experience to help get this thing going.

I am living in Melbourne right now, but I am just working as a chef and already told the owner I am thinking of moving soon.

Let me know if any of this sounds good and maybe I can come down with a tent and see what happens!

Nathan

7. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    Hi Sean, cool, you are doing the course. Maybe you should check about it with helenka. She did it already.

Please stay in touch. Help is always welcome. Michael 0412-172724

8. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    Hi Nathan, Yes, still going ahead. 4 people are planning to come at xmas. We are currently making plans. Who cares about experience! Willing to learn, help and achieve is what really matters. I never had experience and still don’t know much but I learn every day. Call me on 0412-172724 any time. We will probably have a couple of spare tents and sleeping bags. We have a caravan and they are putting up a tipi, maybe also a gypsy wagon. If you have a car would be great because some of the others don’t. Being mobile is kind of handy as it is too far to walk or cycle to town. michael

9. Nathan Czachur

Climate:
    Sweet Michael! Well, I'll be leaving Melbourne in around 2 weeks, so I could come around then or have a few days on the beach first if your not ready :)

I don't actually have a car :/ So, I might try to pick one up cheap before I leave.

Do you want me to bring anything like tools or something that might be cheaper in the city?

10. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    Hi Nathan, please give me a call some time so we can coordinate. And thanks for the offer - don't need anything. I'm usually in melbourne every month or so anyway. I have to pick up a ute there next week maybe we can even meet up.

11. Nathan Czachur

Climate:
    Hey, sorry I didn't call you. But I have been talking to a farm near to Cairns and think I am going to go there first to learn a bit. I might only be there for a month or so. Maybe we can meet up after or I can come visit after Christmas.

Thanks for getting back tho!

12. Melanie

Melanie New Member

Climate:
    All climates (nomadic lifestyle)
    Hi fellow members,
    My partner and I contacted Michael and visited him end of November as we were travelling in the area and it was a really nice experience. We could only stay a couple of days but we do intend to come back when summer's over and stay a week or two so that we can discuss and come-up with a few permaculture design options.
    I would say that at the moment, Michael's property is predominantly zone 5 and the immediate living area is absolutely overloaded with old and recycled stuff that has been accumulated for years. This means pretty much everything is to be done but also offers limitless options for design and creativity.
    Michael and his 2 dogs are adorable, very welcoming, make you feel at home, and Michael's also very open to learning and suggestions; we had very interesting discussions about all sorts of things.
    I believe that organised and proactive people who can operate autonomously are the best profile in this early stage. The idea is to get people who can develop their own lot while also contributing to setting-up common structures such as a community kitchen, etc.
    The land is beautiful and wild mostly on slopes surrounded by mounts, but also has great potential with a few flatter areas and creeks and abundant rainfall.

Thanks Michael for welcoming us and see you again soon.
    Melanie

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  13. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    Thanks Mel&Tobi. I am looking forward to seeing you again soon. Your extensive experience and your friendly faces will be appreciated. michael

14. Erik Wang

Erik Wang New Member

Climate:
    tropical
    Hi Michael. Sounds like you have a nice offer on the table for like minded people who are wiling to work and contribute. My wife and I are currently looking for pretty much exactly that. While I may not have experience in this area, I have done lots of research and I have helped design a project or two. I'd really like to chat with you more about where you're at and what's happening now and maybe we can help out if there's space still? Looking forward to hearing back from you! Cheers, Erik

15. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    Hello Erik, nice to hear from you. You don’t need experience, just an open mind and willingness to learn – the experience will come by itself ! This project is only starting. So there is a lot to do, much to learn. There are about 5 fenced in garden areas now but no buildings, only temporary ones. There hasn’t been much response so far. You are welcome anytime. There is plenty of space. Please contact me so we can meet and you two can have a look around. My number is 0412-172724. Kind regards from Michael.