Square 1

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Edensgardener, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Edensgardener

Edensgardener Junior Member

I am trying to use the https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/ to create a downloadable arial map with contour lines. I have it downloaded, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what program to use to see it? Anyone?

Or, is there a better way to get the contours in a format I can download and share?

The land is pretty darn flat - there's only 1 contour line on the whole 14 acres and it looks like it's 500' (according to another place just to the east of mine with same color lines and 500' indicated.)

Thank you anyone for some guidance!

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Maybe just go with....its pretty flat?

3. Edensgardener

I had been asked to provide a contour map - so that's what I was trying to do. But yes, other than man made ups and downs, I suppose the land is pretty much flat. I can "read" the dips and know where the water runs much of the time just by observing it over the years, but the lady who offered to help me a bit was asking for a map.

Thank you.

4. Edensgardener

Sheet Mulching and Fire Ants

Providing a nicely shaded, moist and protected home for fire ants is about what I get whenever I've done sheet mulching in the past. Any suggestions as how to keep these buggers out?? I'm thinking beneficial nematodes will be my best solution - but they can be costly to reapply every year. Do the ants just finally wear themselves out in a permaculture environment after a few years of added biodiversity? Please, someone say yes. :)

5. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Ant dirt holds potassium. Dig out the dirt once and awhile and make use of it. Then add some kitchen and yard waste to the hole so they make more. I did this for the first time this year and it knocked the population down, and now, I am anxiously waiting for them to make more enriched material for me. The problem is the solution!

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Fire ants dislike wet soils, but they'll just laugh at moist. That's about all I really know as far as controlling fire ants without killing them(with boiling water). Chickens will not mess with fire ants, in fact fire ants will tear up a chicken. It does seem that fire ants are more prone to having hills where there are no plants, or just grass growing. I've never seen a fire ant pile in a forest(edge of a forest, yes) but that doesn't mean they don't exist either. I have a butterfly garden in the front yard, and I've not come across a single fire ant pile in it. But when you go outside of the bed where there is still grass, I can find a find a fire ant pile. So if this is correct, then plant densely. Come to think on it, if I plant a single plant, like brocolli, then sometimes I have ant issues. But if I plant carrots(12 in a square foot), onions(same), or lettuce(4 per square foot), then I don't think I have ant issues in that square foot. Maybe too many deep roots mess them up when they tunnel.

For topo maps, go to: https://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usg...rd&carea=$ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

Don't be misled by the storefront or the cart. You're not paying a dime.

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    The download files from https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/ are compressed files in a .zip format. You can uncompress them using an online tool, such as here. Once you have your file unzipped, it will be a .pdf file and can be opened with Adobe's Acrobat Reader (free software). The map is highly zoomable so you can view at a very high detail level.
    Thanks for the link to that ... always good to find other mapping with contours websites!