songbird's roost

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by songbird, Sep 26, 2013.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Damn Songbird, hope you keep checking back from time to time. I'm expecting a new editor soon and am anxious to work with her/him to get these forums back on track.

songbird likes this.
  2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    thank you for the reply and the notice. i will check in from time to time. :)

in the short term, broke my camera and am looking for a step up from what i was using before so i can get better pictures of what i'm after.

the gardens are doing ok. much rain, way too much rain but still the plants are growing. the farmers who are stuck with their few crops and no flexibility in planting are faced with now having seeds that they can grow but will not get a crop from them because it is too late. they might be able to grow them as a cover crop and some plants can be used as animal feed, but nothing like normal. in the mean-time, me with my small area and diversity am looking at some kinds of returns. already the strawberries have come in, the peas are coming along, cucumbers are just now getting big enough to pick.

diversity brings resilience and alternatives.

ok, that is just a short update. be well. :)

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    most of the harvest is in - at least the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions are finished well enough. beans are still finishing up. recent rains are making a mess of them, but we'll see how it goes.

the other day i was wondering if it was going to rain, looked at the radar and saw a big enough storm heading our way that i went outside and picked some beans so i would have something to do that afternoon instead of being stuck inside without much to do. i picked two large box tops of beans to shell out and that was what i did the rest of the day. now i have them spread out and drying so they can later be stored...

in other news, the local library may start a seed library and so i hope to get involved with that if i can and that they will work it out with the director/board of the library. i will not be the point person on this, me and the management there are not that compatible so i would much prefer a buffer if you know what i mean?

otherwise, just ambling along, trying to work on projects as i can...

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    any news @9anda1f ?

i am checking back from time to time as i get a break from other thngs.

for us here the theme this year has definitely been rain. abundant rain. beyond abundant rain. the past week and a half alone we've probably picked up between 10-15 inches more of rain on top of the rain we've already had this season. which was also way above normal. they had flood watched out the other day and the rivers are all running high.

if this trend holds the Great Lakes will be in record territory next year.

our own tiny corner of this planet erf has produced in spite of the crazy weather. since we are not like farmers and have planted a diversity of crops we did fairly well with almost all of them. the only real outright failures were one of the squash varieties which like the other was planted late and not many were planted so they didn't germinate or got eaten by the deer before they got far along. we did get some other squash to finish (a kabocha squash) but they clearly did get planted too late and the results were ok, but not the best.

in all other regards the harvests were good to great, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, peppers, beans, peas...

i found or verified some of the beans i planted as being very good to keep working with, along with having some new cross-breeds show up. one in particular i'd been trying for years and finally there it was. :)

no new camera yet.

still trying to get projects done as i can get to them. the pallet mess i have the gravel moved back from along both edges now and have removed the top layer of pallets that are mostly sound and may be salvaged in parts somehow. the really rotten ones will be a big mess to remove and i'll try to get as many nails out of those that i can so i can reuse the wood/humus without worrying about rusting nails. anything i can't reused will be used as fill and so the rusty nails will be in an area that won't be gardened. a lot of work yet to get there.

in the meantime no frost in the forecast this week and looks to be nice enough weather that we may dry out enough to mow one last time and to get other things done too.

i have beans to check out and pick through that haven't gotten knocked back by the cooler weather and this week no frost so that is one more week for some of them at least. a few of the plants are going long for sure...

i can go on about other things but i'll keep this short. :)

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    getting colder forecasts now, just a few degrees above freezing some overnights. brr! i'm not ready for cold weather! don't wanna be! :)

project coming along ok. just a few more feet of cleaning out the ditch/trench and pulling out some rocks that are in there which don't belong and i can then get on to the next part which is removing some drain tubes from another garden and getting them put down in the trench and then filling it in with as much pea gravel and sand as i can before topping it off.

the big piles of old/rotting pallets i'll have to deal with eventually but for the moment at least they're out of the way. ugh.

picked the last of the lima beans. love lima bean shellies. :)

other beans could use some going through to see what i can pick before more rains and eventual frosts come along.

6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    ready for the next part of the ditch project. cleaned out the end, removed the rocks that didn't belong in there and then fixed the upper part too so all is now ready for pulling some drain tubes out of another garden, putting them in the ditch and then moving pea gravel and fill it back in. once it is fairly level again then we'll bring in some more crushed, rinsed limestone to cover it and make it all look about the same. i was trying to not have to do all this hauling but Mom didn't like my idea of just moving the pathway over (and regaining some garden space) so she wants to spend the $. ugh. but it's her place...

in other news, hard frosts have put an end to most everything garden produce production, i still have some beans i can try to find in a few gardens, but otherwise nothing else is coming in.

planted some garlic for next season in the garden where in the past i'd placed the apple tree seeds and then kept cutting back the saplings. they weren't supposed to stay in there as long as they did, but finally i got around to it the other day as i was working on the neighboring small garden i looked over and saw that weedy mess and decided to just do it. so i dug out as much as i could to get the loppers down in the ground to cut those trees out of there. since i'd done all that digging it was a good time to amend that space with some wood ashes and bury some organic material in there and that raised it up well enough that the garlic should be ok. we'll see what next year brings. i was rather surprised that the garlic turned out as well as it did with all the rain we'd had this spring and early summer. i did harvest it a little later than normal but it was all in good condition compared to what i expected.

have only some cosmo seeds to harvest and i think those are mostly done now too that the frosts have knocked them back, also picked some pods from the butterfly weed and common milkweed plants, getting just the seeds from those is a fun thing to do. fuzzy wuzzy! :)

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    new camera and some photos of recent things goings on:

can i make a mess or what? :)

[​IMG]

this is the other part of this project, removing drain tubes and pea gravel from the neighboring garden.

[​IMG]

but at least i got this garden cleaned up before i started the mess...

do you like our new Road To No Wear?

[​IMG]

an icicle.

[​IMG]

old mirror in the pyramid reflection.

[​IMG]

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    i hope things improve, it has been somewhat unstable lately. hope my recent edits are not lost if they make any more changes.