Solar System is installed & will be building next summer

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Carol, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Carol

Carol New Member

Self-employed in Accounting
    Climate:
    Zone 5 with cool summers
    I have been trying for some time to figure out how to add pictures to a post, but I guess you can't unless you already have them posted online someplace..

So I'm just going to tell everyone that I spent this last summer building an 8 x 12 storage shed (with some help from my brother) on my ten wooded acres. This is where I hung the solar panels - two on the east wall & 4 on the south wall. The rest of the solar system went inside the shed. I was able to install the system myself (except for lifting heavy items) because I was given complete instructions from the vendor - Backwoods Solar in Idaho. They give you great support and help you adjust the settings on the system so it works for you.

Because my current home is a 24' yurt, I had to install a breaker box and wire in it, as well as run the 175' of wire in piping from the solar shed to the yurt. I know that's a long distance but the shed is on the highest part of my property - the south edge. My property has some slope from southeast to northwest and is difficult to find an open area for the panels but I am happy with the results. The sun is too low in winter, but for about 8 months of the year I will be getting enough sun to run it without using the generator. Just wish I didn't have to be dependent on gasoline even for that - but I guess there's no avoiding it.

Next summer I plan on building a sauna building with shower, composting toilet, dressing room & greenhouse on south side of it. I have to install some kind of rainwater collection system as well, for the water supply.

If anyone will be visiting the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska next summer, please stop by & visit. And if you want to help, I would welcome it.

You can contact me at [email protected] or at 907-399-0656

Thanks, Carol

I guess I should also say that I would like to turn my property into a Permaculture Research Center for Alaska ( or at least south central Alaska) as I don't believe there is any in this State.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    clicksun and 9anda1f like this.
  2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi Carol, You live in a Yurt, in Alaska? Um, I am gobsmacked. Good on you!!!
    I have a problem with my photos too, I;m going to assign this to my daughter to keep up to date for me. Their generation just seem to know how to do this sort of thing.

I wouldnt worry about having to use your generator part of the year. There may be some way of reconfigureing your panels to get more light.....but Alaska? Isnt it mostly dark for some part of the year? I have just realised again, how little I know.

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hi carol
    With pictures you will need to resize them , I use whats on my computer (Microsoft office picture manager)
    I resize to 800 x 600 . Open with picture manager then edit photo button , then resize button , ect then save and name resized pic .

Alternately resize them on your camera before you take them .
    Probably plenty photo tools online

Also I think you cant post photos until you have a few posts on the board , guards against inappropriate content

4. clicksun

clicksun New Member

Climate:
    Sunny

That sounds good! I'm also curious about installing a solar system in our new vacation home. I just do not know if it is possible then. By the way, I got this step by step guide: https://www.thesolarplanner.com/steps_solar_installation.html .

5. Caribean

Caribean New Member

Medical Herbalist/Natural Beekeeper/Psychologist
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Zone 11A, Arid, Subtropical, 7-42C, Mediterranean
    Is the program Whats the standard photo program on a Windows computer? I am trying right now, but do not find the resize button. So no pics here from me so far.