Psychological cons of Urine in the garden?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sweetpea, Aug 26, 2010.

1. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Yep so long as it doesnt come with pink gumboots.
    I dont do pink.

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I see myself falling over or kicking it instead of peeing in it.

when my old man was home I use to put the bucket in the bath at night. He use to get on the sauce a bit ... & I never read where it says pee's good to wash the floor with! :) This tip is also good for husbands who aren't good shots ;)
    I would recommend taking the bucket out of the bath before you pee in it though ... I tried to pee in it while balancing on the edge of the bath a couple of times & only narrowly avoided disaster ... I never read where it says it's good to bathe in it either! Also ... in winter ... the edge of the cast iron bath is so bloody cold on your bum that you can't pee for another few minutes after sitting down anyways :)

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Take a 10 litre bucket with you, why not.

:) :) :)

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    okay so how do you sit on a bucket?
    do you use a 10 litre bucket like one for paint or gib stopping compound, surely not a little 5litre thinwalled thing?
    Dont think the bath bit will work the bottom of mine is alittle rounded at the edge
    Maybe in the shower then if I miss I just have to rinse down with my niffty handheld nozzle.

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I just sit on it ... it's an ordinary plastic 10 L bucket. You can't miss :)
    Now I'm home on my own I just leave it on the floor, I don't put it in the bath.
    It doesn't smell when it's in the house ... although when you pee in it it can stir up a bit of odour for a minute. It doesn't worry me ... being a country gal I actually like the smell of pee ...
    When you empty it it can get a bit whiffy now & then. I just leave it out in the sun for a few hours ... or every now & then put a dash of vinegar in the bottom of it with a few cups of water & leave it for an hour or so. Probably ceramic like the old chamber pots would be better for no odour ... but I don't have one of those.
    If you want to use a bit of loo paper just throw it in the bucket if the bucket is going on the compost. If it's going on the vegie garden I don't really like to see the lettuce decorated with loo paper so I keep an old face cloth near the bucket & pat dry with that :) Just throw the cloth in with the wash or just rinse & dry each day. More environmentally friendly & more economical than paper.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Okay.
    I have a 10 litre bucket I can use it even has a lid.
    I'll give it a go from tommorrow.
    I have an Orange tree I need to make friends with again.

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

You'll never look back :)
    I have the healthiest lettuce, snow peas, spinach, zucchini, tomatoes, corriander, parsley & garlic you've ever seen in my garden right now. They love it.

8. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I didn't know everyone was so unstable in the powder room!! :rofl:

9. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

In case anyone is wondering about my infamous pink bucket, it started off red, as in 'contaminated - do not use for feeding animals or gathering fruit and veg' but it's spent about four years living next to the compost heap as the ladies' pee bucket and these days it's faded to pink. The house buckets are ten litre white buckets with lids, good strong handles, and slightly soft, flexible plastic that's not too uncomfortable for sitting on. But I also keep a little five litre bucket in the bathroom as the boys find it easier to have a tiny bucket to hold while they pee in it, and then they tip it into the ten litre lidded one. And, like Helen, I have a facecloth (black - not for faces - I seem to do colour coding...) in the bathroom which is never touched by anyone else and is used as a 'wee wipe', rinsed and put to dry.

And then, as the house we're in to look after the old man isn't at the farm, the buckets get emptied into 5 litre plastic containers that once contained cheap wine and are carried through the village (often in full view of the neighbours who have never batted an eyelid), put in the back of the car and taken to the farm. And there's also the see-through 5 litre containers that the old man's catheter drains into - they get carried through the village too, and it's perfectly obvious what's in them but the neighbours don't seem to care about that either.

10. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

What ever happened to the beautiful porcelain Victorian Chamber pot?
    Colloquially referred to as a"Guzunder"?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A bucket indeed!
    These forums have no class!

11. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I would hate forthem to get broken, they're gorgeous.
    Got my bucket its in the back porch at the moment but havent yet been game to start yet.......I will i will

12. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

It's the modern beds. They're too low! Nothing guz under them...

And Mischief is right, they *do* break too easily! There was one in the farm when we bought it, outside and disturbingly close to the well, but it wasn't in a fit state to use. But you're right, those old potties are beautiful. I think I'm going to have to try to find an old one for when I'm an old lady living at the farm instead of stuck here so I can practice being dainty and ladylike and carry a porcelain pot to the heap every morning instead of playing with plastic buckets.

13. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I have plans to trial a sawdust and wood chip composting system using urine as the main ammonia source. Simple half 200L barrel with drainage. I will probably use 2 systems to allow the first to self decompose while filling the other one.

The sawdust should act as a filter of sorts so any liquid drained off can be poured around the lemon tree - if the sawdust isn't too fresh...

14. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Great Stuff been using it for years. diluted at 20/1 is great for a instant mild liquid high nitrogen boost to any most crops especially the leefy veges and onions garlic etc....

ONE downer to urine that may put some off is urine contaminated by high doseages of of various hormones and other medicinal componds..... Fact is our wee is only as good as what we put into our bodies....
    Ive no problem with my wee at all or no2s old tea towel when camping and red bucket...into 2 litre mik bottles or up a new fruit tree or any where i can, without being seen, thankfully, i live on 1.5 acres.... and theyd need real good eye sight to see my willy let alone any of my wee sprinkling nearby vegetation....I even wee around my chook Houses...To give that "bugger off im bigger then you" to anything that eats chooks .....

15. Michaelangelica

Good point tezza re "marking your territory" any idea about who/what it scares?
    My main competitor in the garden - the possum- seems unimpressed.

just found acouple of old links that may interst readers of this thread
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/08/AR2007100801028.html
    Apart from anything else plant peeing practice saves heaps of water!
    The fertiliser value:
    https://www.springerlink.com/content/km386u8967256354/

16. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

hiya thanks for the back up. re urine... See i wasnt takeing the piss as some mayov thought lol..

Dont know how i got into the weeing thing,but been doing it for about 5/10 yrs..think i musta read or saw a nature documentary, re animals being, put off or atracted to various animals. Female wee will attract males probly....male wees will be a warning to others to EFF off.. etc etc..
    I dont know if i scare my foxes,dogs,cats or other unwanted animals... I geuss not too many humans like haning around toilets either, we dont like strange smell,let alone disgusting,and AS predators like fox,dog,cat eagle etc etc, rely on their sence of smell to find their prey,surely it must help to confuse or give a message to poss predators to EFF off ?

Dont know if it works, just know that i dont see to many foxes or hungry dogs........ WORDED DIFFERENTLY from 1st intentions as i dont want to tempt fate,its not verry nice at all seeing whole flocks destroyed, ITS NOT a nice sight...

I also use urine in my aquaponics system.....

Tezza

this is mad i cant remove these pics out my system can anyone help?:y:

17. Michaelangelica

I thought everyone knew urine was used by animals to mark territory and warn others off. If we did it, we might not need wars?!
    Scent is used by animals in many, many ways, a sense we often neglect.
    (Apparently they have recently trained dogs to smell human cancerous growths long before they are detactable by any other means.)
    BUT he puns are getting worse LOL :)

How?
    Me too they are supposed to automatically disapear-- they don't If it worries you let me know.

18. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

yeah i figured some may not no about scents.. espcially as a lot of humans dont have any sence 8)

So is 8.9 high,good bad or what? ..i dont use those gadgets lol

yes i wee into a bottle and use it to increase nutrients on my seedling,and for just a top up when the goody bits are in low availability...

smallish fish dont poo as much as middleish fish or bigger fish...crops arnt allways small or large,it can be fun to figure it out right...

i dont pee gallons into the system tho too busy doing it many places lol.....

the last two pics are same shot 13 months apart... before the aquas were started off.. notice the tree in fore ground..its tripled size in 12 months

Tezza

19. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Ok, that wasnt too bad.
    I peed in a bucket.
    Somehow I feel quite liberated.
    Sortas helps to remember the little wee cloth doesnt it.
    Havent got hubby to give it a go tho, cheap and nasty still come to mind for him I think.

Thanks Tezza for the ratios, I knew I should water it down for the seedlings so now I know.

20. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

I have written a short 10 minute play about a some rebels in a community that were smuggling their morning wee to a "community return" compound in special drink bottles they ran with or had in extra bottle hoders on their pushbikes. Funny scene where a guy hands the bottle to his wife who is suspicious about what he is doing and she drops it because it is still so warm. The stockpile it and sell it to a farmer.

Also working on a design for a ute that has two camping shower curtains that swing out. One is a male public urinal and one is a female public urinal where disposable paper "she-pee" funnels discharge into a pipe, pump chamber and up into a big bladder on the back of the ute. It is all about trying to get people used to the idea without vandelism and security issues and enable the mass collection of urine at large public events. Then we might be able to get the more expensive urine splitting toilets installed in public toilets when a market is established on local farms - something that will happen as fertiliser and fuel gets more expensive. The greenhouse gas impacts of not properly processing urine is very clearly also a problem in that conventional sewerage treatment of urine costs dollars, environment and wastes a resource.

Good on you sweetpee !