Pressure cooker!

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by andrew curr, Aug 19, 2013.

1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

High risk high return !!! they shouldnt fail without a reason!
    8)

2. Gourmet Garden

Gourmet Garden Junior Member

When I was a little kid, my dad tried making some soup in one of those old-style stove-top stainless steel pressure cookers but he didn't know what he was doing, and he was too impatient to get to the soup, yeah...nah.

3. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Yeah folks. You can't leave the fire up when that snake starts hissing. Also make sure the gasket is in good order and the lid snapped securely in place. I'm in my eighties and have used them all my life. In fact I just purchased a Wolfgang Puck "pressure" oven and made some good roasts in half the time the conventional roasting takes place. The commercial looked interesting so we bought one. I realize this is an old blog, but I'm going to have to stir up a pot of pinto beans and then make some refried beans for burritos. Of course I'm using dry beans and so will have to soak them overnight, emptying the water a few times before cooking. I've never tried putting the beans right into the pressure cooker, and, being that it might not work, and my mouth is already watering, I'm putting them to soak right now.

Later, folks.
    Love is the answer.
    Uncle Ben and Auntie Willie

4. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

OK.
    Beans are soakin'. They surprised me. I can remember there being sand and even small pieces of gravel back in the old days that had to be separated out. And these beans are at least a few years old. The last time I made burritos was a couple years ago. I made the mistake of taking some of them down to McDonny's for the poker game. They've pretty much given up convincing me to make some more for them, but ...every...once ..in...a...while.....like last night, I get cornered by Donny. And now with all the talk about cooking....Well.
    We just recently got turned onto the "real" dark chocolate and did enough research on it (the child slave labor part) to be on the look out for the more ethically grown and harvested stuff, mostly from South America, rather than from the Ivory Coast, and the 85% and up healthful stuff. I used to add a small amount of coffee in my chili and refried beans. I'll try a little chocolate instead in part of this batch to see how it'll taste. With the coffee addition it was just enough to leave you wondering what that extra ???? was, but not enough to recognize it.
    We've been turned onto the benefits of the bean, but also warned about the fattening effects of the cocoa butter, so we don't overeat the stuff. The price of the mmmmmm is also a fair deterrent to overeating the stuff. We were out yesterday going through the stores, pricing the better bars as we went. The average price over here is about $2.25 to $3.00 for a 3.5 oz. bar. Lindt has a 90% cacoa bar for that price range, depending on what store you're in. Tastes great with "organic" peanut butter. Even better with a little agave or honey.

Well gotta get off my arse and ........Well...can't work out in this rain, but there's stuff around the house that could use a little "tweaking", so Y'all take care.

Love is the answer.

Uncle Ben

5. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Sooooo? don't stop there, now that you've got our attention....

6. Gourmet Garden

Well, he did have enough sense to take the pressure cooker outside before he...did something to its pressure valve...
    I was in my room at the time. There was an almighty BANG!!
    I rushed out to take a look. Imagine a scrumptious soup version of this:
    View attachment 2922

7. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Sorry Gourmet, but I couldn't open the attachment. Sounds to me as though he didn't release the pressure before trying to take the lid off. Wow! I can just imagine. Anyway, after soaking the beans overnight I just decided to cook them in a regular stainless steel pot. They've been on the stovetop all morning and are getting a little tender and I can start adding veggies. (onions, garlic, peppers, etc.)

Uncle Ben

8. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

To Andrew Curr The reason it failed was simple. First it was an electric pressure cooker so it was temperature controlled, not me forgetting to turn it down. Next the lid was on correctly, had used it many times no problem there. The weight on the vent was correct and swinging as it is supposed to do so that pressure can not get too high. The little plug of rubber that is the "fail safe" was in good repair. So why did it fail? Simple like all things, things can go wrong. I was cooking lentils and rice. The weight on the vent started swinging all OK I left the room then without me seeing the lentils created a froth that "sealed" the vent hole, the weight would have stopped swinging at this time but as I was not watching it I didn't see this and do something about it, so with the vent sealed with lentil froth the pressure could continue to rise The same thing with the froth must have happened with the little plug. So pressure rises and "Boom" lid's off and flying, lentils are on the ceiling. The manufacture admitted this can happen when cooking anything that can froth. It is written in mirco print in the instructions so no problems for the manufacturer. No one was injured so I left it at that. But I sure am not going to use one ever again.

9. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Ah So........Now we know two things. 1) we must be close enough to hear the snake hissing (or stop hissing), and 2) we must keep "frothy" things (hydrophobic canines?) at a distance from the PC (pressure cooker) lol. That being said, Bon apitite, and happy cooking, Gourmet.

Love is still the answer

Uncle Ben (not to be confused with the "rice" Uncle Ben.

10. Gourmet Garden

Sorry, Uncle Ben, I'll try again...

Imagine a scrumptious soup version of:

View attachment 2923

Attached Files:

11. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Cool pic, Gourmet. I'm glad no one was injured in the "Big Bang".

Uncle Ben

12. Muddy Waters

Muddy Waters New Member

We have just bought a hawkins pressure cooker, found it for $10 because the person we bought it from was scared of it. I have decided after reading this to try it out so just pulled some home grown lamb out to try tomorrow night. We recently bought a 12 volt oven (more of a slow cooker) and have been relentless with it so will be interesting to see the difference as I really can't remember ever using a pressure cooker.