Opinion on BIOLYTIX home waste water treatment

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Parata, Apr 11, 2008.

1. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Re: Opinion on BIOLYTIX home waste water treatment

Hi,

The Dowmus was their original system and was not a success at all. It is very different from their current design of which I have already written about.

They are a real company with real people - at Maleny. His wife wrote the book "Paradise in your Garden: Smart Permaculture Design" - Jenny Allen. Hey I should get a job with them! Seriously though their design is well thought out and is easy create the same for yourself with a little time and energy. Anyone need more info just ask.

Ross

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

can't beat nature-loo for affordability, simplicity and durability, need more capacity just add another drum, too easy. have seen home made versions looks easy enough for a handyman to do, works the same as well, as told it was lots cheaper.

len

3. urbanus

urbanus Junior Member

An interesting plug on the A&A (https://www.wormfarm.com.au/) worm/bug based system at https://mtbest.net/worm_farm.html.

I now see the difference between Dowmus Biolytics and the much awarded Biolytix; still wonder about veracity of 20 yr warranties.

4. Parata

Parata Junior Member

Most traditional HSTP providers will give less than 20 warranties. It is probably only an indication on how much biolytics has confidence in it's product. Beside the pump there is no other things that can go wrong.
    The polyethylene grade tank should last about these 20 years.

There are not the cheapest to buy but you should recover your cost over time as compared with traditionnal HSTPs. Biolytix is most likely to be suited to most "average" citizen who want to do their bit for the environment at the scale of their house.

Personally I prefer Biolytix because it's most suited the large family life and it will take the whole house grey and dark water to a clear water stage suitable to reuse for garden/orchard/vegies.

I am looking forward to install one at my new place.

Parata.

5. ashleywilson

ashleywilson New Member

Hi All,
    I was reading interesting discussion now i will share my Opinion , The Biolytix Filter is a robust, organic soil ecosystem that converts sewage, wastewater, sanitary items and food wastes into irrigation water.

All the wastes are simply fed onto the Biolytix Filter bed using standard plumbing. The top layer is made up of coarse mesh bags with plastic media in them. This houses the wet soil ecosystem. It accommodates worms, beetles and billions of microscopic organisms. These soil creatures are vital “macerator” organisms, breaking up the organic material, converting the waste into humus and structuring it so that its drainage and air porosity are continually renewed and maintained indefinitely. one week ago i saw a website for BIOLYTIX waste water treatment so i will share the URL https://www.jnblabs.com

6. nicolae

nicolae New Member

I have been reading some interesting stuff abut reed beds for treating wastewater . The system involves a fair bit of DIY to set up, it seems, but many people (councils included) speak well of this approach to dealing with sewage and waste water. e.g. https://www.lordhoweisland.nsw.au/librar ... lation.pdf

7. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All :)

Slightly off the original topic, however the Vic Gov has just released this document:

https://www.ourwater.vic.gov.au/__data/a ... /H2OME.pdf

The info on "waterless toilets" is a little ambiguous...but then this is a government publication after all...

The link (contained within the above) to the EPA Victoria approvals, etc. is worth a look:

https://www.epa.vic.gov.au/water/wastewater/onsite.asp

All the above is Vic-centric...so sorry to you mob whom live elsewhere.

Hooroo, Mark.

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: planning/health approvals in Vic:

Our local health dept. refers all on-site wastewater treatment applications to EPA Vic, and as far as I know (at least as far as our LG is concerned), if your intended system is on the following list (see below), and if there are no other site constraints, then the dept. can do no other than give you the big tick.

https://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/epa/sept ... scending=2

Hooroo, M.

9. Julian

Julian Junior Member

Apparently Michael Mobbs of the 'Sustainable House' fame has been extremely disparaging towards Biolytix... I note that his house had the Dowmus system installed which is now superseded, but regardless, he makes no bones about his flat disapproval of Biolytix as a whole.
    Could be getting confused with the earlier system
    Could be a legit problem
    Though could also be sour grapes... hmmm.

10. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate

Just in case people are not finding my other post that could be helpful here it is

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7629

Regarding the downmus system - having seen one of these they are really a disaster unless you really look after them and for most people it is unrealistic. Really biolytix should have offered all previous clients and upgrade - imho

As someone else commented - being eco is getting really expensive - but life is probably going to get a lot more expensive in the near future so it is in everyones interest to become a lot more self reliant and be able to reduce costs by their own labour - once again - imho.

Good luck to all.

Kindest Regards,
    Ross Cuthbertson

11. ozneil

ozneil Junior Member

Hi,

We have had a Biolytix system in use since October 2006. Technically, the system seems to work well. Unfortunately, our system was commissioned by an agent (now no longer associated with Biolytix). The system ended up flooding because the maintenance contract and alarm weren't set up.

Biolytix have come to the rescue and are offering to cover most of the cost of repairs. They now seem to be insourcing their service obligations after their experience with agents who did not perform.

Neil Robertson
    Chidlow WA

12. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

There are lots and lots of similar systems to BIOLYTIX. Check the fine print on ALL the others in relation to maintenance, service requirements and costs, warranties etc. One thing with BIOLYTIX is that only company accredied plumbers can install and service the unit, which may be a problem for remote properties. They have had a problem with some of their reps here in Victoria.
    I helped a client get approval for a BIOLYTIX to be installed in a sewered area (central Castlemiane) after 9 months lobbying the council EHO, tomes of documentation and submissions to EPA, water authorities etc. Finally we got approval which as far as I am aware is a precedent in Victoria. So you can own your own water and nutrient in urban areas! Anyone who wants to do a similar thing can now reference this (PM me for info) as planning regs are fairly uniform accross Victoria.
    Phil :mrgreen:

13. greenishboy

greenishboy New Member

I have installed a biolytix recently for our new house. It seemed to be the most elegantly designed system on the market, with low running costs stretching into the future!

My only concern is the effect on the grey water on my soil in the long term. I have designed a sub-surface irrigation field with two wings, so they can be alternatively spelled and also a riser so I can connect a hose and sprinkler to water areas not covered by the irrigation field. Are my concerns justified or is my use of the greener products enough??

Floyd

14. mandrake64

mandrake64 New Member

The Biolytix system seems price comparable to Envirocycle units but with a much lower energy requirement. This is most important when you have to provide your own power and do not want to waste energy on running a UV lamp all the time.

John

15. Phil Hansen

Greenishboy.
    The resultant water coming from the filtration unit is extremely clean, so worry not about your soil. Just be cautious about irrigating on proteaceous plants (grevillias etc.) as the level of phosphorous wil be too high; the same with any system. I would be more worried about the levels of sodium and clorides other systems output.

Rubbish in / Rubbish out!!

Phil

16. juan1

juan1 New Member

:arrow: Hi there, I my opinion the biggest sources of bacterial pollution are failing septic systems and pet wastes. In rural areas, you can usually add livestock waste. In some areas, wildlife contributes their own pollution. Each year, health inspectors focus on a handful of watersheds in Kitsap County. The fact that local waters are growing cleaner in the face of expanding development must be testimony to their success. If you want more information about your question visit the website which is given below it will help you https://www.jnblabs.com/.
    Hi there, in my judgment Ceramic tiles are made from refined clay and other material. Maintenance is important through routine cleaning with mild soap and water. If you have some stains to remove, try a few of these suggestions to get your tile looking new again.
    1. Clean the stained area with plain water and a soft cloth. Dry thoroughly.
    2. Put on gloves. Use these to protect your hands even if the product is considered natural or non-toxic.
    3. Mix borax and lemon juice together on a disposable plate or bowl. The consistency should be a paste-like substance. Rub onto the stain and allow it to dry completely. Rinse the ceramic tile with water and repeat until stain is gone.
    4. Use a mixture of a vinegar and salt to make a paste. Apply to the rust stain and wait 4 to 5 hours and then rinse with hot water. Repeat as necessary.
    5. Consider purchasing a Lustrous Italian cleaning kit. Apply to area with a moistened, soft cloth. This Lustrous Italian will remove the stain and not scratch surfaces. :finga:

17. Barkri12

Barkri12 New Member

Wastewater and food waste is treated in Biolytix Filters using Biolytix Filtration, a patented passive aerobic process. The technology is based on layered, flexible modular filter elements that are designed to also be installed into a conventional septic tank unit but are equally suitable to be used within any vertical cylindrical tank (normally a minimum depth of approximately 1.5m is required).
    The Biolytix System emulates nature's highly efficient decomposition process to odourlessly treat sewage, wastewater, food wastes and even scrap paper & cardboard.

18. Julian

Julian Junior Member

im starting to hear mixed reports about biolytix and systems breaking down.

anyone hear of any bad results??

19. Phil Hansen

Only when they've been installed incorrectly, there are only two moving parts (one if you use gravity irrigation), what can go wrong?

20. farmboy

farmboy Junior Member

Yep you are quite right if it is installed incorectly. A good system but keep an eye on the Biolytix installers. Some are just after the money.