My thoughts and opinions on Climate Change

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Earth's Internet, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

I actually hate the term Global Warming. I think the ones behind the research have done a disservice to their cause on education of the present climate crisis. They focus only on one symptom, two if you factor in CO2 increases. I'm more interested in mechanisms and how the natural world really works. I wrote a piece today and it's by no means a final say, but a beginning in my ongoing interest in the networking abilities found in the natural world.

Everything You Wanted to Know About Climate Change Reversal and Were Sorry You Asked!

Not sure if there was already a thread on this, but i did see the correct sub-forum.

Cheers :y:

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

good luck EI,

it can only get worse all been said before and freedom of speech is being attacked

take care

len

3. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

4. Myles

Myles Junior Member

Seems to me to be a biased view of the science that has been done. Cherry picking the most extreme investigated actions is just over dramatization. Why not consider more of the 'responsible/respected/real' science approaches, for example the free ebook below contains various mitigation strategies that may help more balance your view:

CSIRO Climate-Change-Book

Global Warming IS one of the symptoms - the most concerning one - of Climate Change - it will likely be the major cause of the noticeable changes and therefore the best to use to try to get the message through to people of the changes being caused.

5. Earth's Internet

Interesting video and some good ideas. I understand this Hugelkultur is becoming popular, but I didn't really understand why they were bulldozing one of those mounds inside of what was already a wild forest woodland ? While I think it has some merits, I'm never overly excited about weedy gardens of such sites as viewed by the photo shots. I like a clean manicured infrastructure around what I do. Granted the mounds were full of green plants, but this type of circumstance can be found in flood plains where debris and soil pile up in mounds after a rainy season passes by. If it could just be organized better as a presentation. I do like the way that organic matter is put back into the soil to break down. Most folks in urban and in some cases rural settings haul such stuff to the dump. It's a waster of good free fertility resources.

6. gardenlen

yep myle's tell 'em,

stop destroying habitat and the weather will return to more normality.

len

7. Earth's Internet

Next time it will behoove you to read the entire post and the links provided before you come to such a conclusion. I don't worship on the Alter of Scientifism for which many put faith in every word coming out of a scientist's mouth as if it's etched in stone truth. These people are just as human and imperfect as everyone else. They are also biased and motivated by what goals their employers demand of them. To that end they are results driven even if further studies regarding the consequences of their technologies are avoided or buried in the interest of making shareholders happy. BAD SCIENCE has gotten this planet into the sorry pathetic condition it's in presently and it is for that reason such forums as this one and others have been created because people who actually use their brains are fed up with the degenerate conventional profiteering status quo. Again, next time read the entire post. I utilize science, that is the science that agrees with how nature really works. I've used it for over four decades and have continued to do my own experimentation and write about it and share with others to do their own testing of the concept. No one is cheery picking anything. Those absurd, asinine and completely incompetent technologies are held up as what will save mankind and they are lies. These things here in Europe are actually given massive amounts of press time. When's the last time you ever saw conventional biased media give much press time to permiculture or even HugelKultur ? I'm not talking privately funded documentaries or obscure public media outlets, I'm talking CNN , BBC , FOX , MSNBC , etc, etc, etc ? They continually pimp conventional bad science like Craig Venter's (Dr Menegele inspired) GMO Franken-Bacteria scheme of engineered micro-organisms being let loose into the wild to eat up carbons. I don't want theat and who in their right minds do ? Read the entire Post Myles, The solutions I presented actually come from science and I didn't Cheery pick anything, what I did was blow the dust off excellent research that gets shelved in some obscure libraries basement somewhere because it is deemed nonviable as to profit pursuits.

Very interesting information and worth a look, As a matter of fact it did touch on something I said in the post. Addressing behavioral changes. That's the one thing science is incapable of addressing, since science is normally being used as a tool by some well known ideologues to destroy the concept of absolutes and relative truth. Again, rebuilding forests and other important vegetative systems should take priority. There seems to be a lot of talk on accepting climate change and adapting to it. I don't accept climate change. I want to work against it and rebuild what was and worked for countless thousands of years before some collection of intellects thought ot think they know better.

This is about the one thing we can agree on. Warming, CO2s etc are mere symptoms. The causes are what need to be addressed. I've got several more drafts on the blog to finish. some have graphs and charts I'm getting others to help me with. There is a change of phenomena that leads up to the present bad set of circumstances and it all points to human stupidity. The CASES as you say are where the focus needs to be. Thanks for your imput.

-

8. Earth's Internet

Agreed, rebuild habitats and go beyond that and create newer ones where they in recent history never existed. Re-vegetate. I like your Peter Andrews and his Natural Sequence Farming. His concept of slowing down water as much as possible as spot on. Amazing turn around where conventional science disrespect you until you show the results and then they have nothing to say but admit they were wrong.

9. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I honestly hate this topic and have added to the list along with politics and religion of things to not talk about in polite company. It seems to me that people either understand what's going on or they don't. But either way, you have little chance of changing their mind. Just yesterday I talked with a coworker who thought that climate change was invented by the government. Once people associate something with one of their pet peeves, they kind of stick with it to support their own arguments....just like religion and politics.

I've always seen humans as a scourge. I'm not sure where I picked up that philosophy, but I haven't come across anything to change my mind yet. Yes, there are some small points of light, but nothing has caused as much destruction to this planet as we have. Maybe it's time to pass the baton of dominant species to something else, maybe we won't have the choice if we keep going the way we're going. I wish we'd run out of oil already...

10. gardenlen

to true unmutual to true,

those who worship and believe science, politics and danged religion hey, right with you there. can't stand any sort of dogmatism.

oh! the only bit i don't agree with is I and lots of other little folk who simply tried to exist in a material world created by teh greedy, caused no destruction others who had interest in profit and power did all that on their own with help from the plastic wealthy yuppie set and their posh mates.

take care

len

11. Earth's Internet

Agreed Unmutual. I can't understand the denial thing either. It has more to do with the hatred of another side's politics than to do with reality and one doesn't have to actually look at any science to understand something is clearly wrong. I speak with folks over here in Sweden from India, South America and Africa who have come here to be educated and they tell me that even peasants and poor dirt farmers with little or no education know and feel something is wrong because of the changes in present seasonal rainfall patterns don't match historical patterns.

I know what you mean. Their is massive amounts of evidence which says that humans are directly responsible. There truly is no argument there. I'm almost finished with a historical perspective with regards a collection of different subject matters and historical patterns. It all points to human beings as the culprit, even the increase of intensity and more frequency of destructive earthquakes and it all comes off the reporting done by the United States Geological Survey site.

12. Myles

Myles Junior Member

I'm sorry, however I did read many of them and my conclusion still stands. You seem to be suggesting that only old science can apply - to me it shows your lack of knowledge of recent science.

I would class Permaculture as an evolving science, after all it is very much a study of nature - do you include any advances in Permaculture as a "Fix-it-pill"?

I have no doubt there is some cases where the above is true, but to suggest that all scientists are driven only by their employers demands etc. is simply not true and in my opinion, to suggest it discredits what you write. You are in effect suggesting that you yourself are biased and driven by some goal - what if that exact goal is to prevent/reduce/mitigate climate change?

It is your right to blame everything on 'BAD SCIENCE', but I would suggest that science is just science - it is human greed that is the cause, not the science. Sure science can investigate some 'BAD' things, but it's what is done with this type of science and by who, that is the problem. Sometimes we don't know it's bad until sometime in the future. Is 'BAD SCIENCE' forcing people to burn fossil fuels?

Permaculture is not 'main stream', I wouldn't expect to see much of it on main stream media (TV) - though here in Australia it does get the occasional mention. I'm not sure why this is important - main stream media is the last place I would go looking for reliable information about anything?

There are Sciences that study behaviour - Psychology?

Perhaps you don't agree - but the science... - we are already locked into some Climate Change, it is not something that can be reversed in a short amount of time, we will have to live with some change so it is prudent to look at ways to adapt, while we address the issues.

Agree - how do we make humans less stupid?

13. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

If the little folk bought the goods and didn't support the environmental protection laws and taxes they are part of the problem too.
    Everyone in the west is a Yuppie wether they have posh mates or not
    If everyone on the planet lived like the average Australian, it would take 3.76 planets to support the world population.

14. Earth's Internet

Interesting, Google Translate doesn't cover Aussie lingo, so perhaps one of the natives could help out here ? *smile*

15. gardenlen

that's it grasshopper hey blame those less fortunate who only buy waht they need to live, the yuppie set good at buck passing makes their hearts feel good.

so sorry i'm not into blaming the less fortunate whether they are western or eastern, i was born in australia in a time of simple living that would have done me ok, but no the greedy yuppies and money manipulators couldn't leave well enough alone. in the last 40 years we've only had about 5 cars all second hand except for one new one around 1975, so flashy SUV's boats or caravans see the highways full of them.

we were born in australia not anywhere else, so compare oranges with oranges not with apples.

len

16. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Posh mates = rich(or upper class) friends. I assume that's the bit that gave you problems.

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

This is the problem people not taking responsibility for their environmental damage or collusion ,the denial set good at buck passing makes their hearts feel good.

18. gardenlen

so waht were teh poor classes to do buy nothing if at their simple level, mostly for us second hand furniture, not big buyers of furniture, or would you have us sit on rocks with no roof around an open fire.

i bit of blame the blameless holier than thow stuff

sad hey wanting those who can't afford to carry the pale for the upper crust. maybe those of us should have hopped on boats and gone elsewhere?

len

19. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Earth's Internet
    i read your page and found it most interesting (Perhaps typeface could be smaller?)
    Yes there are some silly 'fix it' ideas out there; from people who don't seem to understand the word ecology
    I guess people criticised you not putting in some of the ideas that might help like biochar and Carbon trading

The psychology of it all, is I agree, very intersting

As for science I have more faith in it than you. I know short term it can be captured by money and vested interests (as can most things) but in the long term the truth mostly prevails. I am not sure you fully appreciate how science works. In many ways it is an adversarial system a bit like courts or parliament, so arguments are important but facts always/eventually rule (Though the fact that 30% of Yanks believe the sun revolves around the earth is a worry At a time when science permeates debates on everything from global warming to stem cell research people's inability to understand basic scientific concepts undermines their ability to take part in the democratic process.)

Overall Good work Keep talking just don't loose the plot by getting overly sensitive or defensive in forums like this. You asked for feedback.

20. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

lose not loose

Sorry.....I am on a mission to rid social media discourse of the proliferation of the incorrect usage of 'loose' which seems to have flourished like the snails in my strawberry patch :)