My favorite Royal

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, May 6, 2011.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ng-sustainable/2011/05/04/AFElR0nF_video.html

Prince Charles on what makes farming sustainable
    In this clip from his keynote address at The Washington Post Live event, The Future of Food, The Prince of Wales speaks about sustainable farming and how these techniques could be used to improve agriculture production around the world and help eliminate hunger. (Washington Post Live)
    Larger Video

Thanks to Eric for this.

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Good one MA - and I thought my favourite royal was penny. Lets hope Charles can make a real difference in the world as we need him and others like him to step up to the plate about NOW

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

"Woodland House" Builder Ben Law on Why Prince Charles Rocks
    Ben Law's stunning woodland house and woodsman lifestyle, and his subsequent videos on how to build a roundwood timber-frame home, have become somewhat legendary in permaculture circles. Now Permaculture Magazine has a great interview with Ben Law in which he talks about building with wood, loving the land, the limited value of networking, and (perhaps surprisingly, for a back-to-the-land woodsman) his admiration and respect for Prince Charles:

I am not an advocate royalist, but Prince Charles has stood up and spoken out about his environmental beliefs. His 60th birthday speech was an amazing example of where he passionately put the case for 'Nature' and how he felt he must stand up for nature and give nature a voice. For someone saddled with the expectations and rigid lifestyle of royalty he has let his truth come through.
    https://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/05/woodland-house-ben-law-interview.php

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Prince Charles allowed a book to be written on his home in Highgrove ,I'm sure it must have been over 20 years ago.
    I got this out of the library many times as a source of inspiration.
    At the time he was ridiculed but just kept on with doing his own thing.
    I have always admired him for this.

I once had a neighbour who used every spray available and when I showed her 'the new book I got from the library', she stopped spraying completely.
    I wish he would let an update be written as there is now supposed to be a waste water system in place using the reed bed system.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Maybe the 2012 Mayan prediction isn't about Apocalypse, but rather change in the right direction like he seems to be taking. It would be nice to see more of this from world leaders, and a lot less short sighted greed... ..thinking generations ahead is a lot more profitable.

6. Steve Burgess

Steve Burgess Junior Member

Just found this video talk from Charlie Winsor - delivering the Sir Albert Howard memorial lecture in 2008. It is certainly worth listening to while you are doing something else. I think there are probably many large European agribusiness companies with vested interests who are very keen on this chap never making it to a position of power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dadwzpIbfo

7. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Both he and Mal fraser seem to have aged well!!