Moo goo & spellbound lou :)

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by helenlee, Nov 2, 2013.

1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Pix has found the moogoo to be beneficial!
    The English leicesters are looking after themselves occasionally they stay put the progeny crossed with border L look somwhat promising!
    PLH
    Andrew

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Still, the amount of effort that went into those shots is almost the definition of a spruik ("To promote a thing or idea to another person").

The only thing or idea I was trying to promote was gratitude for someones support - the products were just an aside. However seeing as I had a real moo-cow, some real cream cans, & a real, hand split post & rail fence that is the original fence from a real dairy, I might as well make a photo of it :) And then, being the friendly little PC person that I am, I thought I might as well share it :)

What does S.O.P stand for, by the way?

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Awesome :) I bought a pack for my mother for her last birthday, but was too cheap to buy it for myself. It's kinda nice that someone else thought I was worth it :)
    Are the crossbreds looking promising as fat lambs do you mean?
    How are you getting along as far as drench resistance goes?

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

Ive two sunken baths both have fat happy tadpoles in them and few water plants the gate keeps the Labrador out.

I love my raised beds my subsoil is just gravel / rocks 500+mm deep so the ground garden is hard work through the summer , my new mandala garden is heaps better cant believe how much organic material has gone into the soil , maybe by next summer they will be improved enough to run a couple of beds through the summer .

The bird net is easy to manage I have weights with simple wire hooks on them to hang around the edge this stops the wind blowing them into next week also get very few cabbage moth inside the net and if they do they cant get out in time 8) . The net is also good at cutting the wind which helps strawberries a lot .

The fruit tree enclosure has been terrific , leave fruit hanging as long as possible the grapes were fantastic I have been trying to grow decent grapes here for 24yrs with dismal failure , 6 trailer loads of horse manure and two tonne of straw have completely gone into that soil . Will do the same again this year where does it all go ???
    Rob

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It's bizarre how the organic matter disappears isn't it? I lived on really poor sandy soil once & it was like I was throwing the manure & mulch down a well! It was literally like the soil was eating it! I would have been happier if I could see a result, but it honestly was like it was just being sucked into the centre of the earth. I ended up putting all raised beds in there.
    I had to laugh about keeping the labrador out! I have a very large cream kelpie who might pass for a labrador in a pinch, & he is a water freak too. I had a big square terracotta pot once, I guess the sides were about 55 cm wide & it was maybe 70 cm deep? It was outside, & my daughter had goldfish in it. I looked over one very hot day to see Dozer wriggling & squirming to get his fat butt into it! He was a pretty tight fit so I have no idea where the fish were! Doesn't bear thinking about really :shake:

7. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

I'm guessing people aren't realising they need to click on the words "upload files". See instructions here:

View attachment 1873

Attached Files:

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    sandy soil

anytime you're up against sandy soil organic material helps, but some clay is also very helpful as a binder and holder of moisture. you don't need much to go a long ways... you'll find that your organic goodies will last longer.

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

At that point I didn't have a trailer nor access to clay on another area of the property. (We are talking 100 acres of poor sandy soil here!) So I just made raised beds for the veggies, heavily mulched & manured the fruit tress & ignored everything else. The bloke before me tried to do organic small crops - strawberries & I think zucchinis, & gave up in disgust.
    How do you incorporate the clay into the soil? It sounds suspicious like very hard work :p

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Nup ... I've clicked "upload files" & tried every other combination of clicks & buttons imaginable & still nothing is working. I have a suspicion it is related to the exclamation mark in the red circle I am seeing after I click "upload files". When I run the mouse over the exclamation mark it doesn't tell me what it is - but I think I remember seeing it in the past when I have uploaded photos here & it was because they were too large. I have resized the photos & they are the same or smaller size as others I have successfully uploaded, so I don't think it's that.

11. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Im using EL/BL rams over merinos for a hybred effect
    The resistance /resiliance is going to be a long slow process ,(i introduced some meat merino a few years back and while improving meat yield worms increased)
    think i need more cattle /chickens /other species
    Met some nice felt folk from Stanthorp on weekend (are u still dooing it)??

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Worm tolerance & /or drench resistance are very significant issues, especially in sheep. Fortunately I don't have any problems here with the cows, but I still cull with an eye to keeping the ones with the most pronounced natural worm resistance, just in case! :)
    How come humans don't have big problems with worms, by the way? Any idea?
    Met some nice felt folk from Stanthorp on weekend (are u still dooing it)??
    What on earth does this mean? The "are u still dooing it???" bit? :) Taking a stab in the dark here ... do you mean spinning & felting?
    think i need more cattle /chickens /other species
    Everyone needs more cattle/chickens/other species, don't they? ;)

13. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

mix small amounts of clay into a slurry and water in ... its that easy .. start small with a watering can ... think big .. a 200lt drum and small pump .. just muddy water adds heaps .

14. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    sandy soil and adding clay

a little does go a long ways, but a 100 acres is quite a large site to amend. i was thinking personal garden sized spaces. the farms around here have plenty of clay already so not many people amend it, but they do bring in lime and spread it by the truckload. strawberries on sand? oh my! that guy was determined to irrigate frequently... for a small planting i would certainly amend with clay if i was doing strawberries. i have about a thousand sq ft of strawberries here in mostly clay and they do well. i don't have to incorporate clay and most of the time i let the worms do the digging for me unless i am thinning, burying or planting. the drainage projects don't count... that is just playing in the mud... :)

to amend clay i'd just toss it on top of whatever mulch material i was using and let the worms and gravity do the rest. as a cap it would help hold moisture in. a few ounces per sq ft is often plenty to start, then add a little each season as some will get washed down through.

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Says the woman who knows how to skin a fox bare handed. And here she is already having meaningful conversations about sheep with worms.

You've been trying to upload photos here since 2010! (I found that when I was trying to find the fox skinning thread - which I can't. :(

16. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

Hi again Guys.

I'm sorry, but I don't have time at the moment to read this whole thread to figure out who is having a problem, and what their operating system and browser versions are. So, if anyone has an issue with the image upload/insert feature, please email me directly on craig (at) permaculturenews (dot) org with "Forum image upload issue" in the subject line of the email, and let me know exact details (operating system and version number, browser and version number), and ideally, for those who know how to do so, a screenshot or two so I can see what you're seeing, then I can investigate further.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

17. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Computers hate me!

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

They do in parts of the world were poo ends up on the ground and in the water supply. That sets up the same cycles for the worms to get in as it does for animals (eating stuff with eggs on it, or stepping in it where the larvae can burrow in). Once we figured out that keeping it in a pile behind the shed solved the problem life got easier.

19. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

And she can shear 80 kg English Liecesters with scissors (idont recon she weighs50kg)
    Still hoping to do some felting one day when ive got some time.

20. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Says the woman who knows how to skin a fox bare handed.
    I can absolutely guarantee you it wasn't bare handed! Foxes S.M.E.L.L!

And here she is already having meaningful conversations about sheep with worms.
    I've thought of a few cheeky things to say about this but have decided it best to just smile :) :) :)

You've been trying to upload photos here since
    2010! (I found that when I was trying to find the fox skinning thread - which I can't.
    Don't tell anyone, but I'm pretty difficult to motivate to do things I don't want to do :) And I think there's a bit of passive aggressive & learned helplessness thrown in there on top of the stubborn :) After all, what's the point of enduring teenagers if they clear out leaving you with all this technology you have no idea how to use? It was so simple to get them to do it :) Yes - it works both ways that stuff - & if they couldn't figure out how to use a washing machine or a broom, I can't use the computer ... except now it's kinda backfired because they have girlfriends who can use washing machines & brooms & I still can't use a computer :) ;)