Mollison MP3s - 47 Hours of Listening.

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by permacultureplants, Nov 16, 2006.

1. permacultureplants

permacultureplants Junior Member

In September of 1983 I had a rare opportunity to spend two weeks at a Permaculture Design Course by Bill Mollison. It occurred to me that not everyone had such an opportunity.
    In an attempt to make that course available to everyone I took professional recording equipment with me. Much editing later, I worked it into a set of audio cassette tapes.
    I'm now happy to report that it is available as an MP3 set on DVD.
    [​IMG]
    You can hear short samples to determine the quality of sound. (The whole set is over 2500Mb, so samples will be relatively slow to download on dial-up connections.)
    https://www.permacultureplants.net/Audio/audio.htm

[​IMG]
    Someone commented recently on this forum that Geoff Lawton listens to Mollison tapes in the car. This is the set he has.

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Well Done Jeff,not without time........ :lol: 8)

I have 2 of bills videos,his book,and will get back to you re getting myself a copy of your tapes,Ive heard the fire tapes,and i reckon its great with the Natural outdoor Sounds makes it more life like to say the least..

Tezza

3. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

It is a pretty awesome recording Tezza. I have been listening to it as I work around the place and it continues to blow my mind... The evidence part of the course is all too eerie. There's Bill in 1983 talking about climate change by the year 2000 and how weather will get more and more extreme if people don't stop poisoning the earth. He was pretty spot on, except in 1983 hardly anyone else was saying it...
    I also know what you mean about the natural sound effects. As I said in an email to Jeff, you can practically smell the sulphur of Bill's matches as he lights up his ciggies. Hopefully he has quit that habit now!
    I can recommend the dvd to everyone out there.
    Kudos to Jeff for making it happen.

4. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Just wanted to publicly thank Jeff for making this available. Have been avidly listening to these tapes whilst travelling about all over the place. Amazing content and equally amazing to hear so many catch-cries that continue to be recanted by so many. Great material....

This kind of media would appeal to a lot of people I imagine. Especially those who are not so inclined to reading or are operating machinery all day long. I will be buying a few copies for some broadacre farming mates of mine to play whilst they are recreationally plowing with their 400hp tractors....

Good on ya!

Seasons Greetings,

Daz

5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Hi Jeff - I notice that the price of the DVD is quoted in American $. Do you also quote in $Aus or does one just get the conversion rate of the day - ie 1 Australian Dollar equal 3 American Cents :cry: .

6. permacultureplants

Yes VB you pay in Yankee Dolla.
    Conversion here: https://www.xe.com/ucc/
    Cheers, Jeff

Daz, thanks for kind words, Jeff

7. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

For some reason that annoys me - maybe because I have always been proud that permaculture originated in Australia, yet to buy Bill's word I have to pay American Dollars :-(. I know this is easy to do and that when I use my credit card it is a seamless transaction - but it annoys me all the same :?

8. permacultureplants

Hate to be the source of anyones annoyance but that's where they are manufactured. You can please some of the people some of the time but....
    :cry:

If you feel that strongly though, work out what it was going to cost you and send me the cash in $Oz and I'll send you one of my copies, but make no mistake where it will have come from all the same (via Western Australia). :wink:

Cheers, Jeff

9. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

it all comes at a price doesn't it?

10. Richard on Maui

You know, Chicka, I agree that it woulbed be awesome if it were freely available.
    But you know what? I didn't go to the trouble and expense to get the recording equipment to Stanley, Tasmania in 1983, nor did I go to the trouble of handling reel to reel tapes or any of the editing work or the hassle of finding a company to put it on cds and distribute it.
    So, it really isn't my place to decide that it should be free is it?

11. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

12. Richard on Maui

:cry: I am trying really hard not call you a bad name. :lol:

13. Richard on Maui

No seriously, I agree with your general idea, but my point is that if you want to publish something valuable about Permaculture yourself and go and put it out there for free, that is righteous and I would applaud you for it.
    For you to assume the right to do the same thing with someone else's work is despicable.
    I actually wrote privately to Jeff and we had a bit of a debate (that he admittedly wasn't too interested in getting drawn into - he is probably too busy working on his next publication!) where I encouraged him to think about making it free for the good of all. I asked his permission to copy the thing for friends who I know will never spend the money on it, and he politely told me he would prefer if I just gave people a few sample files and told them where they could buy the whole thing.
    So, I disagree with his politics somewhat, but value his work, and so I am not going to disrespect him as much as you are prepared to.

14. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

So did BM copyright his lecture and is this recording legal. I would assume it was. If so, do part of the profits return to either BM or Permaculture [per se]?

Dont get me wrong, I am not a naysayer I just have a couple of questions.

Regards

floot

15. permanut

permanut Junior Member

I have to say I'm with you Chickadee, $70 is taking the piss I reckon.
    Don't get me wrong I'm trying to make money too practicing permaculture but capitilising on Permaculture and BM is taking it a bit far.
    I mean I have taken recordings of the whole of 2 of my PDC's with my minidisc (from very good teachers mind) and I would'nt dream of selling them unless it was to fully recoup my costs,time etc. If there was any surplus I'd be investing it in more Permaculture works.
    Permacultureplants it would haved been a lot cheaper, good EROEI if you had just made it available to people online, like us.

16. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I would be happy to pay for the CD set - but having thought about it a bit since first seeing it was available, I have decided I am not willing to pay the price being asked. If Bill was the one selling it – having produced it from his own work - then I would be much more likely to pay the price - because I would be paying for Bill's intellectual property. For this same reason I was happy to pay the hundred or whatever for Joel’s aquaponics book and DVD – even though by the time I bought it I knew more than was in the book (largely from interaction on the net with Joel. Similarly I purchased Rush Wayne’s e-book on growing mushrooms, even-though it was readily available on the net, having been put there by pirates.

A bit of a story that crops into my mind:

Last year I went to some permaculture lectures - a lecture tour of Australia was being done by a group of prominent oversees aquaponics experts.

Before the lectures started - I had a chat with a few of the people that were there (as you do). Attendance was small - which was a shame cause the lectures were cheap at $100 for the day including lunch. Anyway there were 4 of us that were early arrivers and who were having this chat. There were 2 women who introduced themselves as school teacher and school lab assistant and explained how they were interested in setting up a small aquaponics system for their high school curriculum. I introduced myself explaining that I was interested in running aquaponics in my backyard as a food production system for my family (and had a small system already established). Also mentioned my long running interest in permaculture. The last person introduced himself as an 'entrepreneur' and proceeded to speak absolute shit about his visions for franchising some aquaponics venture. He had come accros the concept only a couple of weeks earlier. I disliked him instantly - though of course nodded politely at all the right times etc.

Once we got into the lectures he pulls out a video camera and asks the organiser if it would be okay for him to video tape the days events. Stupidly the organiser raised no issue - didn't even ask for a copy or anything. Turns out the guy runs a backyard video production company and obviously had thoughts of making a buck from the presenters' and organiser's hard work, knowledge and research completed over many, many years - as well as no doubt using the information to help set up his bullshit franchise.

Anyway - I know this situation is vastly different - but the story came to mind. Jeff is a genuine permaculture enthusiast (for decades clearly) and he has done the world a great service by capturing this course on tape - as opposed to this tosser I met at the aquaponics lectures who I wouldn't pay a cent for anything, out of principle if nothing else.

I just think it is a bit of a shame the DVD is not a little cheaper, because it would likely result in many more being sold and this invaluable information getting to a wider audience.

For what it is worth – I do not agree with pirating the work to Limewire or similar.

17. Jez

Jez Junior Member

If I were to buy one of Jeff's DVD's, I'd merely look at it as getting good value for money when compared to a PDC cost, supporting a good person who has done a lot of great Permaculture research and even helps out here with valuable info, plus getting a recording which it would be a privilege to own considering the person who was recorded and the era it was recorded in.

Having done some research into converting from reel to reel to more modern media, it's not cheap unless you have the equipment to do it yourself (which is in itself a fair cost). Even converting from VHS to DVD of from foreign formats - professionally done - is not cheap. Like most things sold, the consumer seldom has a good understanding of the work gone into it, or the inbuilt costs in producing it for sale, or the need to cover your arse cost-wise when you're totally unsure of its saleability.

Let alone an appreciation of the fact it's even available.

IMO, the most staggering aspect of this thread, is that the lowlife thief strutting around bragging about his intention to steal the work of others, thinks that spending thousands on a structure for half a dozen chooks is money well spent, but $70 to vastly increase his knowledge of something he freely admits he has a poor understanding of (and apparently wants to learn more about considering he still hangs around - hey, it's free!), is a rip-off.

As would be the petrol/bus ticket spent to go to the library and take out a FREE copy of Permaculture: A Designers Manual. Fortunately, his computer was built for free and he pays nothing for the online access he uses to stir up as much trouble as possible whenever he feels the burning desire to make a sociopathic arsehole of himself.

18. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Im with Jez on this one

Hey Chickapee Get A Life

Tezza

19. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Wow,

How to denigrate a lifetime's effort of enabling a perspective. Seriously, in 1983 a very forward thinker actually made a commercial decision to back his judgement. ... What is the issue now, is it whether Jeff made a smart commercial decision to save aspects of a BM speech and share it at a cost?

Or should he have just 'listened' to it and shared his 'perspective' as anecdotes?

Come on folks, this is history for we permies. You can either get from the horse's mouth or we can continue to scrabble around at chat sites.

floot

20. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Chickadee is welcome at this site and Tezza you are not in a position to call him on it!!

Permaculture, can be, about aspiring to a perfect world. The big issue here is about Nugent's ability to capitalise on a product. The product is a speech made by Mollison.

When Nugent made these tapes he musta been really inciteful or just a lucky chancer.

Consider this, if Nugent had recorded BM on the off chance we would still care, he was either prophetic or observant. The choice is yours as is the asking price.

In a perfect world these recordings would appear as public domain. Sadly, messrs public domain were not sitting in Tassie and recorded Mollison.