Michael's Infallible Sore Throat Remedy

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by Michaelangelica, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Michael's Infallible Sore Throat Remedy
    This is very effective.
    Heaps better, and heaps cheaper, than Strepsils Throat Lozenges
    Quantities are not crucial.
    In a big tea-pot place in
    One goodly sized handful of fresh Lemon Thyme
    3-5 sprigs fresh Sage (S. officinalis & vars.)
    3-6 small Comfrey Leaves
    6-10 fresh Violet (V. odorta) leaves
    3-5 sprigs of fresh Greek or Golden Oregano (not the rubbish stuff sold in all Oz nurseries).

(You can replace Lemon Thyme with one of the other cooking Thymes (T. vulgaris spp.) but lemon tastes heaps better)
    Leave out any ingredient you don't have but the Thyme is essential.

Fill the pot with boiling water. Cover & let seep for ten minutes
    Sip hot or cold thought out the day.

If you catch the sore throat early enough this remedy will stop it in it's tracks almost immeditely.

2. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

Re: Michael's Infallible Sore Throat Remedy

G'day
    thanks for the recipe, currently give my son thyme tea for sore throats and coughs, but will put in your additions next time, seeing as they're out the back anyway
    cheers

3. chandan20

chandan20 New Member

Hot lemonade mix with honey relieves the pain quickly. Here's a couple:
    - Put 1 tablespoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and do gargle, at least 4-5 times a day.
    - You can also have 1 spoon of honey mix with ginger juice. But it should be taken once a day because it’s very strong.
    - Instead of water you can do the gargling with betadine or even vodka. They are best in killing bacteria.
    - Hot lemonade mix with honey relieves the pain quickly.

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Some mountain tea works wonders
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideritis

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I always use cider vinegar and honey at the first sign of a cold, but your tea definitely sounds more tasty.

6. Ma&Pa

Ma&Pa Junior Member

Here in Canada we have a remedy made from 4 essential oils. I'll give you the recipe.
    Thieves Oil recipes:

Equal amounts of eucalyptus, rosemary, cinnamon, clove and lemon. Mix with base of olive oil. I usually put a tablespoon of each in a 2 oz. bottle and then fill the rest with olive oil. you can make a larger batch in a quart jar following the same proportion method.
    Same ingredients, but measured out in different strength's. Clove Bud Oil 200 drops, Lemon Oil 175 drops, Cinnamon Oil 100 drops, Eucalyptus Oil 75 drops, Rosemary 50 drops.

The essential oils contained within this formula have been noted for anti-bacterial, anti-viral, antiseptic and anti-catarrhyal properties while stimulating the immune system, circulation and the respiratory system.

Try a diffuser so that you and all your family can benefit from this mixture.

7. Michaelangelica

That would kill or cure you

8. Robert Knops

Robert Knops Junior Member

A beautiful recipe thank you for it. I alway's use a spoon honey and sometimes a extract of garlic with citrus (it's not very tasty). I would be careful with essential oils, because they are carcinogenic.

9. Ma&Pa

Ma&Pa Junior Member

10. Michaelangelica

I doubt it,oils have very diffident chemical compositions, some kill cancer cells in vitro and are antibiotic and anti-fungal. So such a blanket statement is patently false.
    The continual & and ever increasing diet of "plastic" chemicals, one gets in the food chain & water these days, are more likely to be cancerogenic.

But many people use far too much and that is likely to do liver damage. Taking (Internally& frequently) more than a drop or two, of most of them, is reckless. Occasional external use is fine; though I think Ma&Pa's recipe is overkill externally and esp. internally. The fresh herbs I mentioned work like magic, quantities are not critical, and they will not harm, in fact some are quite nutritious.
    Everything in moderation?

Karma Barnes likes this.
  11. wenrolland

wenrolland New Member

Nice recipe Michael. Do you reckon the herbs could be dried and used as efficiently during the winter? Here in Canada, there is no fresh lemon thyme in winter. Thanks.

12. hagiography

hagiography Junior Member

I gargle salt water at the first sign of a tickle at the back of my throat. Chasing it up with some apple cider vinegar to get rid of the salty taste sounds like a nice addition.

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hi wenrolland - Michael is no longer with us to answer your question unfortunately. He'd be here in a flash if he was.

14. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Junior Member

Yes it is very much a loss to have lost Michael.
    I would expect the dried herbs would work well if not as good as fresh as some components might be lost in the drying. The previous comments about essential oils ... some are very wrong. Essential oils are very safe when used in the correct dilution and with some specific restrictions regarding pregnancy, breastfeeding and very young children. Ensure they are essential oils not fragrance oils and consult an aromatherapist or recognised textbook for accurate info. Stick to the dilution rate usually not stronger than 3% (50 drops in 100mls) 5% for cleaning ond 0.5 - 1% for children, frail elderly or very sensitive people. For use with children less than 12mths seek advice from a health professional. Oil burners (safety with candles) are fine around young children and with the new diffusers, which are great, ensure they do not mist directly over the child.
    Enjoy your use of herbs and oils.
    Namaste
    Cathy

15. wenrolland

wenrolland New Member

Bless him. Thanks you for your answers.

16. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

wtf?????

17. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

18. logansandres

logansandres New Member

Climate:
    Humid
    I'v been using the essential oils blend when haveing a sore throat, which is a usual occasion with me, you see the recipe I use here https://natadviser.com/essential-oils-for-sore-throat/. It really hepls. just use it as a morning routine, every day and feel much better! Might help you too!

19. Felicity

Felicity New Member

Climate:
    Temperate
    Great recipe from Michael, I too would avoid essential oils internally; my addition to the sore throat scenario is extract of neem, just chuck a squeeze down when you first feel the symptoms. I use neem for a variety of purposes and in my years as a healthfood shop owner it was one of the most versatile and effective products I found. Available in UK from the Neem Team and online from various places including iHerb. I appreciate it is not a 'make your own' from the garden suggestion but if your garden is not obligingly producing these things when you have a sore throat, or you feel too rubbish to go and look, neem will be waiting patiently in your cupboard for you.