Making Permaculture Stronger

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by matto, May 29, 2016.

1. matto

matto Junior Member

Dan Palmer, from the Permablitz concept, has started this new blog from his learnings in Permaculture and Holistic Management. There have been some good insights already and Im sure we will learn lots in the coming future.

www.makingpermaculturestronger.net

As the introduction states...
    "...as being an insider to the permaculture movement, scene, whatever you want to call it, I am also a critic. Though my journey with permaculture is relatively young, I have been around long enough to be able to proclaim, with confidence, that permaculture well and truly needs a good injection of critical self-reflection. From within.

Why? In order to make it stronger. You see I not only like permaculture, I’d like to see it get stronger. I’d like to see permaculture become more and more mainstream, but in a way where it is a shape to offer solid, holistic solutions in a world flying headlong over a cliff where shit is about to get even more out of control.

The best way I know of strengthening something is to identify weak links and then to direct energy toward making them less weak. This approach seems blindly obvious to me, and yet for some odd reason seems to me not to be a significant part of the culture of permaculture. In so much permaculture literature, education, presentation, online media, and so on, the focus is on links that are already strong, and in some cases on making them even stronger. I would like to contribute to the bucking of that trend."

Im looking forward to these developments. I hope you enjoy it too.

mischief likes this.
  2. Annelie

Annelie New Member

Climate:
    Melbourne
    I am soo happy to hear that someone is thinking like me. I too want permaculture to become more mainstream. I know there is a lot of resistance, and definitly a lot of missconception. Most people seem to think that permaculture is a just amother hippie dream. Despite trying to educate them, they do not WANT to listen, because they think it in financially unprofitable. And if it is, then why have big corporations and businesses not implemented it to maximize profit? I think we have to start with a marriage between permaculture and buisness in order for the average person to want it. And we do want the average person to want it. The world is going down the drain and we do know something that can, if not prevent it, slow it down significantly.

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I dont think that there is alot of resistence to it. Misconceptions, yep- hard not to be when someone tells farmers to throw down a mattress and plant a tree= Mollison.
    Stories like these hang around far longer than they should.

This morning on TV (watching before I went to work), there was an item on a farm trying to make a difference, going past sustainable farming to regenerative farming, bringing people in rather than trying to keep them out and even the sharing of surpluses in the form of funding profits towards chosen charities. I was impressed.
    I was watching and thought- yeah, permaculture in action rather than words.

After all these years, the things for me that differentiates Permaculture from everything else is the Ethics and Principles of Permaculture.
    I find myself going over these on a regular basis almost as a part of a checklist for what I am currently doing and trying to achieve.

It helps to know where you want to go, if you havent figured that out yet,how can you ever arrive?

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Permie
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost
    I totally agree with you Mischief. For me it is about the ethics and this is something we carry around inside us. It seems less important to have Permaculture in the mainstream than to have the mainstream in permaculture. For me the direction should be to build models that show the system is a better way to live with benefits to the practitioners as well as to the planet. I am reminded of the Buckminster Fuller quote that goes something like
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”

mischief likes this.
  5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi Mr Pear,
    I have missed you! Your mandalas are looking splendid! but I dont see any sign of guinea pigs seeing to the paths.