Living fence for 5 acres

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Carpunky, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Carpunky

Carpunky New Member

Climate:
    Zone 6
    Hi

I recently bought 5 acres without many trees I wanted to create a border around this square 5 acres
    I am older 55 and prefer to still be alive by the time this is accomplished. I was thinking white pines , black locust , hybrid popular and tulip trees With fruit trees sprinkled in the mix Do you guys think this sounds about right

Thanks

Jeff

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hello Jeff and welcome!
    That's a good mix if your water situation (precipitation and/or irrigation) will meet the needs of the hybrid poplar and tulip trees. The hybrid poplar will grow very quickly with sufficient water and give a 20-40 feet tall tree in just a couple of years. We also use hybrid willow as a fast growing (but water hungry) windbreak tree.
    White pines would be good, again if your natural precipitation is good (greater than about 20 inches annually) ... maybe consider Austrian pine if your rainfall is less.
    Black locust is one of my favorite trees; grows quickly, fixes nitrogen, and is excellent firewood and rot-resistant fence post wood. You might check whether you have locust borer in your area and, if so, consider honey locust instead.
    Have you considered some understory shrubs in the mix? Nut trees? Will your perimeter serve as a windbreak?

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    apple seeds will sprout and grow into a 5-7ft sapling by the end of the 2nd year. they are thorny.

plant a few every foot and you'll have a nice living hedge in two years.

ask your local cider mill for some of their cider pulp.

plant the seeds in the fall.

4. Carpunky

Carpunky New Member

Climate:
    Zone 6
    Hi

Thanks for your replies ! Yes, i was going to add Red Mulberries , Apples , Black elderberry , choke berries and for the smaller areas , I was going to plant some Hansen bush cherries.... I wast sure whether to plant the white pines where i want them or plant them in a patch for a couple years and replant the ones that are doing good or plant a couple by each other and dig up the worse of the 2 in a year or so

I was thinking the white pines would be in front and then a mix of everything else behind them , with the cherry bushes being last, so they wouldn't be shaded out. Yes the perimeter will be for privacy and windbreak

any thoughts again

thanks

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    9anda1f likes this.
  5. Boiledfrog

Boiledfrog New Member

Climate:
    Zone 6 dry American sagebrush desert
    Willows are a quick hedge. Maybe mix some vining plants. Brambles for security. I have a dozen hardy orange trees sprouting that I’m thinking of using for a fence. I just don’t need a fence....