Is This All Humans Are?

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by 9anda1f, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    George makes my case for me ... we need to "evolve" to the next level, from homo sapien to homo scientes (aware man)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/24/humans-diminutive-monster-destruction

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Yep. As a species, we are aware enough to be able to exploit nature and the planet, but not aware enough to be able to know when enough is enough.

I think we need to go beyond awareness and on to species enlightenment. As your discussions in the other thread with respect to 'competition' and the 'fair share' ethic show, when you put tools like permaculture into the hands of tradesmen who lack that kind of enlightened awareness, it just becomes another tool for the capitalist paradigm. The appearance of what I call the American 4th ethic is evidence of this.

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Go figure, the quote is from Public Enemy, and IMO, it's right.

It's not that we aren't aware enough to know when enough is enough... ..it's some humans are sick, mentally, & the lot of them have been nicknamed the top 5%

4. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

As a species, we suck. But then most species when they get to a certain population threshold suck. I'm torn between letting nature do her thing and protecting your life. For example, wild boars. They can be very dangerous, especially during mating season. Deer can decimate your crops and they can bring in lyme disease via ticks. I guess if you also eat what you kill, then a balance is somewhat struck. But then again, as a species, we've never been good at balance.