How do we best chart the popularity of thread posting and viewer numbers?

Discussion in 'Environmental and Health Professionals Interested' started by Callum EHO, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Callum EHO

Callum EHO Junior Member

What is the best way of presenting on graphs the popularity of threads by plotting post and viewer numbers?

Is it good to show these at their max at a point in time or maybe analyse for change in these figures each week to plot the popularity then die off in interest then maybe ongoing residual interest.

Why is it that some threads "go viral" and hit a high popularly?
    Is the site being trawled by computers looking for key words that come up as viewers?

Maybe we could go fishing for these by putting up words that do not make any sense on their own but will excite computers!

Generally it appears that the number of threads is proportional to the number of views because it keeps putting the thread up in the "new posts" lists.

I need to prepare a graph that will best get across the popularity of the threads I have created to hopefully encourage others from my profession to participate in more public debate and discussions.

Maybe a simple column graph with posts at the front and views at the back or alternatively I could go 3D and include a timeline and plot how these parameters change over time.

I could show all the charts all lined up along a weeks since started time line or with staggered starts along a real time timeline in weeks.

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    way too scientific for me Callum = I prefer a more organic approach.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yes.

Personally I don't see the point. The message board isn't a popularity contest. (Australian politics on the other hand....) If you post something completely esoteric, but there is one person out in cyberland for whom that information is vastly life changing, is that not more valuable than a frequently visited screaming match over something deliberately designed to inflame passions, but not really improve our lot in life?

4. floot

floot Junior Member

Callum,

Dunno about graphing posts of posts. I have been on this forum for about 9 years but somehow appear as a newbie now [which is of no matter]. The biggest subject matters and threads have invariably mentioned 'chooks, cats or Round-Up'. Chooks cos they are of perennial interest and when you think permaculture animals they are at the top of the list.
    Cats is a vary divisive issue with most people being in one camp or the other and a lot of emotion comes in. I once kicked off a thread on composting cats, now I did this tongue in cheek knowing it would provoke responses. I found it a lot of fun but the reality was it did probably unduly distress some members. There is a current cat thread that I have left alone for this reason.

Lastly, glysophate/glyphosate[??] or roundup. This topic has evoked such emotion at times as to literally chase people off the forum. Gladly, nowadays the merits, if any, and evils of Monsanto and its products and practices are more widely known and understood. This means this topic can be discussed without folk being too hot-headed.

One of the craziest and spiteful threads was one I was involved in was over the US holiday of Thanksgiving, a huge thread that rolled on for days and perhaps weeks. It was one of those issues where fact trumped belief and to the believers the facts were simply wrong. The silly thing about it all was the only permaculture thing mentioned in the entire thread was something about pumpkins. Now with a number of forums to choose from this type of thread would likely turn up in a 'views' type section and with more moderators now it would be shut down or extremely well monitored at that time it was just in a general forum.

IMHO, some of the best threads have a topic and 1 or 2 replies but 200 plus views. They are often technical in nature so whilst I enjoy reading them and admire the writers, generally, I am too dopey to contribute...:) So I dont think graphing thread popularity could actually be a productive thing.

Cheers,

5. Callum EHO

Callum EHO Junior Member

Sorry Eco,

I should have explained that I would like to suggest the environmental health profession utilise this website which is full of participants that share an interest in food and the environment and public health. This is far more useful than a closed up password access only site that does not have much interaction.

I am dam sure the viewing and posting figures would be far greater on this open website so I want to be able to present the exposure and interest we have already got in a logical way so it in turn generates more professional and public participation.

Cheers

Callum

6. Callum EHO

Callum EHO Junior Member

Floot,

Great observations. I agree with you on the cat topic. Happy to get your comments any time. Made me think a bit more about how I frame my threads and posts - sometimes maybe they need to be pitched at different levels if there is a lot of interest and no comments. Good call, Callum

7. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

a lot of threads are just too wordy for the average person i think.
    seems the more educated and well read you are the words get longer and longer
    to the point where a numb nut like me feels i'm way outta my league.

there should be a level of communication so everyone feels like getting involved,
    so the more intelligent you are I guess you have the intelligence to tone down your words much easier then it is for my type to try and sound like I know what your talking about and end up looking up a dictionary.

yeah many guests are simply search bots, they are always there, if they weren't then no one new would ever find the place.
    so for instance if you searched on google for linda woodrow mandalla garden,
    the first thing that comes up on google is this thread.. https://forums.permaculture.org.au/showthread.php?128-Linda-Woodrow-s-mandalla-gardens
    a relatively nothing thread, yet it has over 5000 views, only 'cos of the google bots that keep it up on top, it doesn't mean that anyone found the post interesting, it's just 'cos it's first in line so people look.

8. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey Old buddy "Free".... I just typed my name into google.... Wow what a spinout.... 1st result was P.R.I. website.... on the global permaculture site lol

Hi to Everyone ESPECIALLY ECO...happy mid season growing ,and a possitive (up untill 21/12/12)8)8)8)8)

Then the good bit might just happen.... "Long Live Our Futures"

Tezza:bow:

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Smiles, waves and winks back - Hi Tezza my old mate! I always suspected you were a globally famous permie....

10. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

Have a good solstice all.

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

with what ive typed in here,I would not surprised if it was monitered by someone...Id like to think theyd loved my work,(spys) lol

12. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

g'day Tez :hi: long time between drinks hey :party:

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Well "free" Im glad your still into permieculture..... and you still around the place.. 306 posts too... you have been busy. Glad i didnt frighten you off this place ,thanks for comming back... you must be allmost an expert now....

Well done mate

Tezza

14. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

ReVinKieth,

i'm with kieth.as
    popularity is not something i am real good at, and the prospect of being measured on popularity has this eccentric concerned.
    the most popular stuff is fodder for the herd.

unpopular, esoteric and distortions of the norm are beautiful....
    it is the radicals, the avant guard , short on numbers that need equal air.
    pop perma pulp is distracting from the mission.

just the opinion of one man with a clearly evident mental disability,
    cheers,
    k

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

ReVinKeith is spamming - he's quoted me directly. So I've deleted his post and banned him.

16. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

You are right and I am glad you commented and spoke up for the many who look but don't comment. Sometimes the comments will get technical and complicated to try and tackle those that want to work with these terms but if permmaculture is going to influences some professions then sometimes we will need to slip into their "speak" then hopefully draw some of them back into our "speak" and some common sense.