Home Grown

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by 9anda1f, Mar 28, 2015.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    I knew it!
    = )

"Home Growing Produces Ten Times the Food of Arable Farms"

https://www.resilience.org/stories/...g-produces-ten-times-the-food-of-arable-farms

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Thank you, awesome read, and yeah...

I knew it I knew it I knew it!!

I want to go see Shiva at the heirloom fest in CA if I go this year. Still sketchy on going this year, next year more likely.

3. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Great post Bill, thank you.

I have read several articles with this theme and all ring true to those of us who already see the light. I just wonder if any of the sheeple understand the message, if they bother to read it at all.
    The more articles like this that are put out there for the masses, the better for our cause of grow your own food.

I find it puzzling though that these articles always mention the inputs of gardeners and then say the "modern Farm method farmer" doesn't give his fields the inputs. That modern method farmer gives inputs, they are just the wrong ones. Chemical fertilizers are harmful inputs instead of nourishing inputs like compost, mulches and manures. As the article mentions, the chemical fertilizers do little to build the soil but rather strip it of nutrients, leaving it near barren without the chemicals.

The few farmers that are now practicing remediation of the land through holistic management are far enough along now that they can show the marked improvement in both yield and drought tolerance that "modern methodology" neglects.

Vandana Shiva is a champion of biodiversity and soil husbandry, she is one of the few that recognize and speak out about the necessity of maintaining biodiversity instead of opting for the monoculture of the western world farmer. When we loose the genetic diversity of our seed base, starvation will be not far behind.

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    Bryant, while i agree with the overall sentiments, i really wish you would rethink your attitude and use of the word "sheeple" as i find it an extremely derogatory term towards a wider audience that we really wish to influence in positive ways. using derogative terms will lose their attention and put them in defensive listening mode (which means they probably won't listen well or be influenced much at all)...

5. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I suppose I could refer to that group as "the silent majority" since it has been my experience that the groups are mostly the same, non-thinkers who just follow the mainstream unless they get all hot and bothered over some one pointing out the fatal flaw that is compliance with out question. I am sorry you think it is derogatory, but the term is in the dictionary and this https://www.thedailysheeple.com/ is a magazine dedicated to waking up those people, or at least making them more aware, of course they most likely don't read this magazine because it goes against their nature.

The "herd mentality" that is more and more prevalent in humans would mean that they wouldn't listen in the first place, no matter how "Nice" you put information to them. After all, if you just go with the flow, you expend much less energy, never mind that this sort of thinking also is eroding the freedoms we used to have.

What method would wake up those who now act more like Ostrich and lay their head on the sand so no one will see them?

6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    some folks won't be "wakened". most of them in my experience are not younger and are not a majority. in time they will be gone and the work of doing things that need to get done is much easier. i remember when i was a kid many ideas of environmentalists were new, clean water and clean air were not as important back then as they are now. times do change and some people can change too, but usually it is incremental and through the children where the biggest changes happen.

i'm not talking about "going with the flow" i'm talking about not alienating people by using derogatory language. many people will make changes given time and encouragement, but if you drive them into defensive stances that becomes a much harder task. those who won't change can be worked around as new regulations can be passed which affect them too (recent changes in energy efficient appliances, autos, air quality, water, etc. all show this is possible and is happening -- it may not be exactly what you'd like to happen, but most of it is moving in the right direction).

mischief likes this.
  7. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Point Taken, I will do better.

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    thank you! :) i do have to admit that the word "sheeple" has become a peeve of mine. i'll try not to jump on it...