Hello from Western Washington

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Daron Williams, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Daron Williams

Daron Williams New Member

Restoration Ecologist
    Climate:
    USDA Zone 8 - Temperate Marine
    Hello all,

I just wanted to say hi and share a bit about myself and my place. My wife, son and I own 2.86 acres of land in Western Washington north of Olympia - the state capitol. This has always been our dream and we call our place the Wild Ride Homestead. We have been living there for about one year and four months so we still have a lot to do!

We have been slowly implementing our permaculture design for the property. So far this has focused on starting a native forest, a native wetland, and over 200 feet of hugelkulture beds. The hugel beds are the foundation of native plant hedgerows that will form a living fence along a shared dirt road. We have also started a separate native plant hedgerow along another section of our property.

Native plants are a big focus for me in part because my day job is as a restoration ecologist managing a restoration program for a land trust on preserves located all along the south Puget Sound. My property is fairly degraded due to past management decisions and I believe that by providing habitat for native species that I can create a solid foundation for my future work installing a food forest, garden area, chicken system and other food focused work. Though all of my future work will still include native plants to provide habitat for local wildlife.

There is a seasonal stream that flows through my property that really is the centerpiece of the whole property. The native forest I mentioned earlier is located where the stream enters my place and the native wetland is located where the stream leaves my property. Both areas were heavily degraded but I'm hoping the native plants I have been planting will help to improve the stream. Ultimately, I want to install a series of ponds along the path of the stream to have water year round.

Currently, I'm finishing up a large hugel bed and getting ready for 200+ plants that are showing up next week. I will make some posts later on sharing some of my projects. I look forward to exploring this site and seeing what you all are up to!

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Daron and welcome!
    I've put out of my mind the battles with scotchbroom and blackberry I've waged ... don't envy you on that account. Your property sounds wonderful, cant' wait to hear more.

3. Daron Williams

Daron Williams New Member

Restoration Ecologist
    Climate:
    USDA Zone 8 - Temperate Marine
    Thanks! I'm from Eastern Washington originally - grew up in Deer Park north of Spokane. I miss that side of the state at times and I wish the west side did not have all the scotch broom and black berries to deal with. But I also enjoy harvesting black berries :) If they did not spread so much I would let them be on my place. But I am keeping them along the road in a couple areas as a living barrier. I'm planting trees and shrubs where they will eventually shade out the black berries but for now the berries give me food and provide a good fence.