Hello from tropical North Queensland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Carol_AF, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Carol_AF

Carol_AF New Member

Climate:
    Hot, humid tropics
    I've mostly been lurking in the background reading of your wonderful projects and learning from your knowledge and experience. So, I thought it time I introduced myself.

My permaculture project is simply my home, a modest little house nestled amidst a moderately sized garden. I don't have acreage, but my garden, being rural, is larger than the general quarter acre block of the suburbs. My location is between Townsville and Ingham, Qld. My climate is wet/dry tropical, with all its ensuing wet season floods and cyclones, followed by a long dry season. My garden looks across to the Paluma range to the west, and, when the cane fields across the road have been harvested, I get a glimpse of the tree-lined coastline to the east and Hinchinbrook Island to the north.

Quite a beautiful place to live, and being between two World Heritage Areas, the southern tip of the Wet Tropics in the Paluma Range and the Great Barrier Reef just 9kms eastward, I feel that I have a special duty of care not to further damage these delicate areas by my gardening practices. Hence, my garden is fertilised only by mulch, compost, worm castings and worm liquid. Until recently a small flock of ducks also carried out fertiliser duties and pest control. The flock was aging and natural attrition, plus a hungry python, reduced their numbers until my flock was no more. Indeed, one day I rescued a little duck that I thought had tangled herself in rope, only to find myself holding a python at arms length! That was an adventure.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Carol!
    Would love to see photos of your place if you get a chance. Pythons! Are you in crocodile country also? I'd love to have a postal address in Rollingstone ;)
    How do you deal with the dry season ... do you have a bore or rainwater storage? Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

3. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

G'day Carol
    We've not long moved south from spending some time up in Tully.
    Keep your birds locked up, the pythons around your way can grow huge!