Hello from South Carolina

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Benjy136, Jun 5, 2012.

1. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    Pak, are the rains still hitting you pretty hard there?

things are quiet for me in the winter season.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

We have offically started flooding yesterday. Road to the main town (Coos Bay) has the slough going over the railroad tracks & onto the road in several places. I am worried about being able to pick up mom this week for appointments & Christmas the following week. Waves are at 30 feet or higher. Swales are not draining fast atm.

On the plus side, a large flock of quail have moved in, and love my roof.

Oh, we are supposed to get rain ALL of next week as well. I hope Gandalf is getting some of this. He needs it as much as I do.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Thanks Pak, yes we're getting the leftovers from your storms. Our ytd precipitation was seriously low (6-7 inches for the year) until the past week when we've finally obtained our lower-bound (9 inches) with more to come (normal precip here is 9 - 12 inches). I got two of these tanks for the new greenhouse to help catch some of this precious water:
    [​IMG]

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

The entire Coquille River Valley is completely flooded & It is still raining. I'm watching the weather report like a hawk atm and I see another massive storm coming on Wednesday. This is going to be an interesting few weeks.

Meanwhile I am a lil worried for Sweetpea & CA, I've seen the beautiful persons area get no rain at all. What rain I do see they get is North of the Sacramento river & Shasta Dam, thus no water for irrigation from the North, or just no water from the North sent to lower CA.

On the plus side, I got a 50x50' electric fence kit & 3 Colossal Chestnut (14 nuts per pound on avg.) tree saplings so we can start raising the hogs next year.

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Pak, i watch the CA water situation every day and they are picking up some of these recent storms and the reservoirs are now getting some good inflows. almost all of CA has gotten some recent precipitation which is a great help to all the trees that were being stressed.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reservoirs/RES

i recall you are well above the river so will not suffer direct damage from the river coming up higher. the road being flooded would be no fun. do you have supplies on hand?

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

We have supplies but the Mrs. wants to try and go out again today for more supplies. I'll try and take photos today when the fog lifts. Right now temps dropped down to 39f but we have another storm on the way that is supposed to drop 4" of rain in 24 hours again. Even though it is 10 days away, I worry I won't see Mom for Christmas.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

[​IMG]
    This is the bottom of the driveway. This area is normally my neighbors paddock with apple trees. It's under at least 6' (2 meters) of water.

[​IMG]
    This is normally pasture land

We are about to get a minimum of 4" but more likely 8"+++ of more rain.

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    rubber duckie time! be safe.

9. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Hello Pak and Songbird. I am in New Zealand at the moment. Putting my feet up and relaxing. The last few months have been hectic. I finally registered as a business back at the start of October. Still doing it as a hobby but really busy. Come the new year and it starts all over again.
    I have heard nothing from Ben. Someone has hacked his email as l have had weight loss emails from him. Pak you sure are getting some rain. Every few years we get rain like that and flooding. My house is high so no problem for me. Hopefully it will drain away so you can see your Mum (Aussie spelling).
    Sunbird l hope all has been well with you?.

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    hi Brian, glad to hear things are well with you and that you could get away for a bit of a break before heading back into the fray. :)

hope Benjy will be able to sort out his account and get back to us soon!

things are doing well for me here, it's winter and so mostly indoor projects and puttering around types of things. doing some music editing, waiting for a memory chip for the new/used camera so i can get some pictures going again, feeding the worms,

daydreaming of joining:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...1s0x8eba2e27874a6ba5:0xd4977f2fd2cfd39b?hl=en

reading about and admiring coconut crabs:

https://blog.nature.org/science/201...tion-invasive-species-hawaii-nature-wildlife/

the weather here has been warmer than normal and so it stretches the heating $ further.

11. briansworms

Merry Christmas Songbird and Pak.

12. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    thanks Brian, i'd say the same, but it's on to happy new year's type wishes already! :) are you going to be expanding your space for doing more?

we just cooked up the last of the squash and the worms have been feasting on cooked squash skins and other goodies for the past few days.

when i was checking out my native worm breeding bin i found a nightcrawler in there. not put in there on purpose but i must have picked it up as a juvenile when i was collecting from the gardens and now it's very full sized and it was pretty healthy and active. came right up when i started putting goodies in there for the worms. i'll have to let it go in the spring when i can as i don't know if there are any others in the bin for it to breed with and they really should have more room than the bin provides. still it may be a decendent of night crawlers i planted in the gardens four years ago. i didn't find any around before, but they are around now. :)

Pak, how are you faring? did your plans for Christmas turn out? we did well here, nobody got us stuff we can't use and we got to get together for the first time in many years. my one brother has a very hard time getting around by car (very bad back problems) but he made it for a while and it was good to see him. i don't think he'd been to my other brother's place in eight or ten years...

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Got to see Mom and bring her over for Xmas, so it was quiet and pleasant. However, today, via serendipity, I found out it can rain here (and has) clear from now till November, which is when an actual 'Indian summer' will start.

I'm prolly going to be quiet for a few weeks while I sort out a scary medical thingy. ./hugs

Happy & Healthy New Year all. <3

OH, btw, we got 2, 50x50' electric fence kits for pigs come march.

14. briansworms

Well Christmas and New Year are done and dusted. Pak glad you got to see your Mum. Where we are staying it is fresh fish just caught a few hours early for breakfast most days. Organic vegetables from the garden for lunch and dinner. You can't get better than that. We have to pick peas later as they are ready.
    Back to reality tomorrow as we fly home. It has been 19 days of doing very little. Fishing here is good. All the New Zealanders are complaining about the heat and humidity. I find it cool and very pleasant compared to the humidity and heat we will find when we land in Brisbane.
    Pak good luck with those health issues.

15. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    safe journeys Brian! it would be very hard to come home here after being in such a place as we are getting well below freezing now, especially at night.

Pak, hope the medical stuff works out well and i'll adopt Brian's word and say i'm also glad to hear you got to have Mum around for Christmas.

i just made some shortbread for strawberries frozen from last summer. if this works out well i may do more frozen berries and less freezer jam.

16. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hi everyone ive been unable to sign in forever so I better say gday before I disappear again

17. briansworms

Hello Terra
    Hope it is not too hot over there in South Aussie.
    Songbird my friends in New Zealand grow lots of veggies and freeze for the winter. They don't get as cold as you but have crap weather in winter with strong freezing winds coming off Antarctica

18. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

So some good news... A 'white tailed kite' which has not been seen in our Coquille River Valley has been spotted for the 1st time since 1970!

Now the bad news, I am under doctors care for at least 6 months.. It's going to be a very difficult spring, but I must keep going & trying.

19. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Pak, i hope they can help you out. if you want to be more specific send me a PM. *hugs*

Brian, hope you are back and that your bug and worm friends are all in their places with bright smiling faces?

Terra, i'm impressed by how much you've gotten done already at your new place!

we've gotten our first fill of propane for the heating season. used 30% (around 70 gallons) of the tank from the start of fall until last week - the weather has been pretty mild. will be much colder the next month or two if history is anything to go by. it's winter, it should be cold! at least enough to give the plants and flowers enough chill time so that they don't bloom too early and get frosted. still all said, it would be nice to not have to fill up the propane again until next fall. the price was much better than the past few years. a nice bonus for the new year. i don't drive much so the lower gas price (which is also nice) doesn't affect me as much as many others...

20. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Yeah Yeah. Finally got back in. Thought the site might have shut down. Willie and I are about the same as usual. A lot of politics goin' around here. COLD after loooong Indian Summer. Probably have a cold Spring to make up for it. I found some GREAT tasting raw unfiltered honey. 50 gallons will be here this week in one-gallon buckets that I'll repackage into glass 1 quart canning jars. I had started to buy a little bit of precious metals, but when push comes to shove, you can't eat gold, and honey will last longer than I will. And at the rate we are poisoning our beneficial insects I don't see the price of this liquid gold going down any time soon. Sorry to hear you're not doing well, Pako. If we can be of any help, let us know.
    I can really empathize with Terra, having been beating down the door to this place unsuccessfully for so many weeks. Songbird, it's nice to see your post again. And Brian, I notice that some of the old gang are still amblin' in for a palaver here. Now that I'm back in, I hope I'll be able to post here more often. Chooks are fine. The garden is taking a land-Sabbath. ECO's Yakon are asleep for the winter. I might dig them up and replant them this Spring if the chooks don't get too hungry and dig them up first.

songbird likes this.