Hello from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by CallistoRose, Apr 14, 2018 at 12:59 AM.

1. CallistoRose

CallistoRose New Member

Climate:
    cool temperate
    Hi all, new to this forum after reading lots of posts while planning my tiny 5x5m food forest. I'm on a triangular 440 sq m block in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne, so more cool than warm temperate, although little frost. Keen gardener but new to permaculture - will do a course when time and funds both align

My soil is about 30cm/1' of heavy clay loam over yellow clay, so nutritious, slightly acid and holds water well, but hard to work when it's very dry or wet.

My front yard faces north, and I have established vegetable, herb, butterfly and flower beds out there in the 2.5 years I've been here. I am trying integrated pest management which has attracted a huge variety of insects to the garden, but still have trouble with aphids on my cabbages and roses.

Only one end of the back yard gets any sun year round. It slopes down to the NE, no idea what gradient but gets steeper towards the bottom, fairly gentle at the top.

Due to a sugar intolerance problem (FODMAP), I can't eat pome or stone fruits, but can manage berries, citrus and some tropical fruits. My brother is visiting from Canada and was amazed to see a banana against the back fence! I am currently working out how to create a food forest with guilds around a pomegranite, dwarf mulberry, feijoa/pineapple guava and loquat. I already have rhubarb and blueberries in pots to go in, and lots of strawberries. Citrus in the front yard in full sun all day.

My obsession du jour is working out whether to try a form of hugelkultur as I have lots of prunings, mostly thin branches and twigs but also things like rose prunings and cordyline (nothing you'd call a log). I was going to use these on the bottom of a lasagne/no dig arrangement over cardboard, and stabilise the lower edges with bigger branches and scoria rocks.

Hopefully I can get these broken down nicely over winter and then plant my trees and understorey crops in spring. I was planning to treat the beds like big compost heaps for now rather than planting straight into them as I will need to cover them with shade cloth pinned down with rocks to keep my dog out of the manure/blood and bone (he ate one of my gardening gloves after I had been blood and boning last year!

I'm looking forward to sharing my progress and getting lots of helpful tips from this lovely forum!

Callisto