Growing in NW Uruguay

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Pia, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Pia

Pia Junior Member

Some geographical sites in Uruguay have awesome soil and most have high water table issues. My site (my residence) has construction base under the first layers and the usual high water table! So, my work is deep and regular in creating a sustainable space.

I started some of my organic and gmo-free seed (corn, basil, artichoke, tomato, echinacea, spinach and cabbage) indoors on 24 October and began transplanting yesterday (19 November). In the first week of living here (11-18 Oct), I put black plastic down to eradicate the weedy plants to prep the growing areas for a "clean" start. Rocks arrived the other day and a crescent moon planter is built and will receive an addition tonight upon delivery of more rocks which will also be sued to create more planting spaces.

The soil a friend delivered is dark, rich and has the famous abono mixed in already. More seeds to be started soon. See https://yesusi.com/about/house-of-salto/ for more info.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    I saw the deep, rich soil in the pics on your link! Great stuff.
    (I often wish I had a high water table ... my well is 320 feet deep ~100 meters) It sounds as though you could have a pond quite easily.

3. Pia

Pia Junior Member

!!! yep, been thinking about a pond and yesterday's heavy rain run off patterns convinced me a great pond exists behind the house with a little earthwork to divert and retain the water. The soil is courtesy of a local man whose horse and cart are used to deliver soil, rock, and sand. Otherwise, I'd be pulling tons of brick and cement out of my garden areas to prep.... not very practical for the moment. Thank you for your comments!