Green during the drought

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Jason_H, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:25 AM.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Member

Climate:
    Cool Mediterranean climate
    Hello
    I live in South West Australia which has a typical Mediterranean climate of wet winters and 8 months or so of little to no rain and hot temperatures (summer drought). I have a small farm that has been conventionally farmed since we bought it, along with all other farms in the area. During the dry season everything dies and browns off. We have planted some hardy trees which are the only things green at the moment.

As green plants year round are one of the things that helps create soil and soil health, what is the permaculture take on having green plants year round? Especially multiple levels of the system, shrubs, grasses, Forbes, etc. In a farming sense you want to graze animals on forage year round

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    is anyone else in that area grazing all year? does that area support that kind of native grasslands?

when someone says "farm" it can mean about anything. farming grain, livestock, vegetables, fruit trees, grapes, etc...

and then what do you mean by small?

what do you want to accomplish? what resources do you have?

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Member

Climate:
    Cool Mediterranean climate
    People graze all year but use hay or standing dead annual pastures. It's cattle, sheep, hay, grain country hundreds to thousands of acres per farm typically.

I want to have year round green plants and soil coverage to maximise photosynthesis all year, and all the benefits that brings, while growing sheep grazing in the same paddocks.