Full Body Scanners from July

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by annette, Feb 5, 2012.

1. annette

annette Junior Member

The Australian Federal Government has announced that as from July 2012, all people taking international flights will be subjected to full body scans at the airport.:(

I find this outrageous. They do not know what the radiation effects are going to be of subjecting people to this. They say it is to stop terrorism, and sure we need to be vigilant, but this is over the top. Why not make everyone who takes a train or bus have one as well?

At least if you have a normal xray a medical professional is doing it. In this case a customs officer will be in charge. What happens if there is a malfunction?

Some company is making a motsa out of this.

No overseas trips for me.

Not happy Jan.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Don't worry Annette - the price of petrol is about to sky rocket so you wouldn't be able to afford to fly anyway!

3. annette

annette Junior Member

haha you're right eco. What it does for me is really push me into finding a community somewhere (thinking Eumundi, Yandina or Kin Kin area) which is more in the mode of self sufficiency and working together than where i currently live. When peak oil really hits it will be necessary to have a community around to barter trade and share.

It is disturbing to see the incremental infringements on civil liberties and individual rights. Brings out the activist, rebel and subversive in me.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Miso soup helps against the radiation in case you need to travel.

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I guess terrorism has done its job then. And once the fear is embedded there are always going to be folks out there ready to profit from it. Fear is one of the most profitable businesses to get into.

The only way to fight fear is through love and spiritual confidence. Don't buy into it, go about your business. I have no business flying these days. My business is at home and in my local community.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Yeah, fear is a great way to create demand.

7. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

So your government is playing lapdog to mine.

Bummer. I'd say I'm sorry, but I didn't vote for mine.

8. annette

annette Junior Member

that's what concerns me

Yes Dirt seems we here are heading down the same track as the US. I'm not fearful of terrorists, gosh you got more chance of being killed by a champagne cork. I'm extremely concerned that these incremental dissing of individual rights in the name of protecting us, will lead to even more government control over our daily lives. The vast majority of people don't seem to take any notice of it and have this mindset that the government looks after us. I have worked in the government for 18 years and I know you can't trust what they say and do. It's all smoke and mirrors.

You have the TSA, the Patriot Act and the NDAA and I don't want to see similar here.

Having said that, I feel karma will get them in the end. I'm not scared but am prepared to highlight these things in the hope people are aware of what's going on. That way we are prepared.;)

9. TheDirtSurgeon

Don't you worry. We still have our guns.

You lot are just fucked.

10. annette

annette Junior Member

seriously Dirt, I fervently hope it doesn't come to that (although it might just). I'm hoping that as part of a community we will be able to provide and share and look after each other. If it all goes to @#$$ in a hand basket I will protect my family, friends and community any way I can. I can make bows and arrows and see well in the dark. We may need to get creative. lol

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I hope it doesn't come to that. Wagging my finger with a stern look and saying "you've been really naughty" is about the extent of my self defence capability!

12. TheDirtSurgeon

You and the Russians under Stalin. Or the Cambodians under Pol Pot. Or the Chinese under Mao. Germans under Hitler. Etc.

Hey, good luck. Keep that finger loaded. ;)

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Rookie....

What do you do when you are out of bullets? The bullets give away your position, especially when you have to double tap. (Zombieland survival rule #4) You won't hear an arrow coming that has owl feathers on it till it is too late, I guarantee it.

https://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_16631.html

14. annette

annette Junior Member

Good point Dirt. If history teaches us anything it is that governments can get out of control and attack their own citizens. People need to be educated to head it off at the pass. They can't do it unless the sheeple let it happen. But if it gets to that point and someone tries to hurt me or mine I'll fight like a mumma bear all claws blazing.

You crack me up Pak!

15. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Totally agree flying will be for the only the super rich in the not to distant future and these super X-rays will end up being a de-facto rich person sterilisation program......doesn't sound like a bad outcome.... less rich people breeding= less resource use

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Wow - Zombieland as inspiration! I'm suitably impressed. Do they have 3 ethics and 12 principles of Zombie killing that we could borrow?

17. TheDirtSurgeon

Oh, Pak... bows and arrows are kiddie stuff. I don't mean FOR kids... I mean, the stuff we learned as kids. That's for when I run out of ammo. Which will be somewhere at least 150 years past my life expectancy.

The thing you have to remember is -- effective range. What is your effective range... and what is the effective range of your opponent? May I suggest you buy a year's subscription to Guns&Ammo, and read it.

To illustrate, let's say a "zombie" has a rifle with an effective range of 250m. You have a bow, and owl feather arrows, with an effective range of 80m. I have a rifle with an effective range of 700m.

'Nuff said.

18. annette

annette Junior Member

Ok well must admit i wish I had a gun just now. Was just watching a carpet python on the fence and a full blood adolescent dingo just wandered out of the bush and was heading towards my chooks. I chased him and he ran back into the bush. Now I will have to keep the chooks confined to the chook house and run. Never seen a full blood dingo round here before. He's only a youngun so I figure there's more around. This is rural residential not outback or cattle country! Bazman and SOP keep an eye out for them.

19. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

With the amount of video games I played growing up, I know better then to waste ammo on headshots; That's what baseball bats are for.

20. TheDirtSurgeon

Let me know how that goes when they're shooting back at you. ;)

What was this thread about, anyway? I forgot!