Fixing the Soil

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by MicheleM, Mar 3, 2010.

1. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

THe booger man is a wimp compared to monfuc#@%gsanto he just hides under the bed and then goes boo!!!
    monasnto takes your money and your health and they do so by destroying the environment.Reality is much scarier.

Does that fit the more militant mould Steve?

2. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

You got me good Butchasteve! Here I was thinking I'd actually managed to get through an April Fools without getting fooled.... Fool me. H aha hahah ahh sigh... and I was trying to be soooo diplomatic too.

Yes I imagine you'll get some right royal laughs with that signature around here :)

So does that make me a militant? Bugger if I can talk about the middle path as a militant....

3. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

pebble, so true! I don't mean that Monsanto has a bluesy way of dancing!!

But they are giving the world one huge dose of song and dance!

4. smithgerry

smithgerry Junior Member

Here are steps to fix the soil:
    1. Mark off your site in late summer or early fall, using stakes and string, a rope or a garden hose as guidelines. Leave the turf in place. Trample any tall weeds, but you needn't cut them.
    2. Lay a 1-inch layer of newspapers over the site, overlapping the edges as you go. Wet them down thoroughly. Spread 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) of peat moss over the paper.
    3. Cover the peat with 4 to 6 inches of organic matter such as compost, well-cured manure, leaves, dried grass clippings, seaweed, shredded paper--or any combination thereof. Avoid oils, fats and animal protein.
    4. Add alternate layers of peat moss and organic matter until the bed has reached 12 to 24 inches high.
    5. Water until the material is saturated. By spring, your heap will have decomposed into 6 to 8 inches of rich soil.
    6. Sow your seeds or set in your plants, and mulch with compost, peat moss or dried grass clippings. As the plants grow, continue to mulch with the compost, peat moss or clippings. As the newspaper disintegrates and the organic matter decomposes, the layer of loose, rich soil will extend deeper into the ground.

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    That's a great idea. I'd suggest using something other than peat though (it's generally not a renewable resource and best left in the land that grew it).

6. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

yeah laughs are better.. although if there is the odd bite resulting in a paranoid rant here and there we can all have a laugh at that too... :D

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Steve, I'm not sure if your rant about Monsanto being fuzzy wuzzy puppies is for real or a joke but i would like to make a point or 2...

Monsanto (and other similar companies) force us to consume chemicals through the food we eat. They don't give us a choice. Most chemicals are proclaimed to be safe organic compounds having at one point in time been derieved from nature.

We are medicated with chemicals through food consumption on a daily basis. We don't have a choice.

What if a new chemical was introduced that controls some type of weed or insect which was derieved from... lets say "Sodium Valproate". Would this be considered a safe fuzzy wuzzy puppy suitable for human consumption ?

Just because a product is derieved from nature, doesn't mean its safe.

Potatoes in one hand... A bottle of vodka in the other -> which would you feed your kids ?

The fermentation of potatoes to make vodka does not make potatoes bad -> the process and the end result does.

The same applies to the chemical manufacturing process. They start as single possibly safe compound... then shit happens!

8. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Interesting... How can we think autonomously when companies like monsanto make our decisions for us. Companies like this should be sued for STEALING our Autonomy.

9. butchasteve

10. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Be careful who you go baiting Steve - some of our members are really hurting out there.

11. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Flaming and trolling are considered unacceptable behaviours on most forums (and in most communities). Steve's behaviour fits the definition of flaming and trolling. Why someone in a permacuture community would intentionally want to rile people is a mystery to me.

"Central to permaculture are the three ethics: care for the earth, care for people and fair share"

https://permacultureprinciples.com/ethics.php

12. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Add to that:- Cooperation - not Competition.

13. butchasteve

See page 8. always been open with the truth.

Its a joke. hardly trolling.

I use and learn from this forum like many others.

Be buggered if i am gonna change it now.

14. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    From page 8:

"nah just stirring.. came on here to find out monsanto is the Permie equivelent of the boogie man (except real).."

"Umm, yeah.. I don't work for them though.. I just put it in my sig to annoy the more militant permies.. stirs up a bit of fun.. agree they are a shit company though, and ruining agriculture. doesn't make it any less fun though."

(my emphasis).

You've freely admitted you have that signature to stir and annoy. That is trolling. The nature of this forum and the kinds of people here, means that using the signature is inflammatory. Like I said, trolling and flamming*, albeit relatively low key.

But also like I said, why would someone do that on a permie forum, where care for people is one of the key tennets. You know that for enough people here it's not a joke and you obviously don't care about those people.

It's obvious you get something out of being here, but you seem to miss the point that we share this space and it needs to be welcoming and encouraging for all. Your signature goes against that IMO. I'd have some respect for you if you actually did work for Monsanto (and am still not convinced that you don't, so I guess your behaviour here has left me unsure how to trust you).

*well known internet phenomena. Not sure what the term is for people who think that they don't have to give a shit about others they share space with though.

15. butchasteve

if i were a troll i would post inflammatory remarks and continuously make POSTS that wind people up.

apart from my inaugural posts i have never posted with the sole intent to upset somebody.

to say i don't give a shit about people because of a joke in my sig is sensitive to say the least, or do you guys seriously have night terrors about big bad monsanto, and its mere mention causes anxiety and stress?? if so i will happily remove it. otherwise, lighten up. we are here for a good time not a long time people.

16. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    I believe Milifstyle may well have issues with his kid and the possible intervention of chemicals. But if not there are perhaps people among us who do. This does call for some care Steve. You have so much more to offer the forum without controversy. Cowabunga dude

17. butchasteve

furry muff then :)

18. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Steve,

Being a Taoist I don't like to label things good or bad, but I do like to get to the root of things. If you looked into many of the apparent 'issues' our society and planet are facing, I suspect you may find it difficult to find many that don't have the fingerprints of chemical giants all over them. These are BIG corporations and as such they play a BIG role in the way society (read Economy) runs. As a proponent of perma-culture I believe that humans belong in a Society not in an Economy - surely we are more than just a 'human resource', another thing to mine?

So, whilst I will not label them as bad I can certainly say that they do not fit into my concept of society and permaculture - there is no place for them in Mandala Town

Peace my friend

19. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

There is a positive point to all the negative talk... "Search Engines" love conversation. Even with changing algorythms, content still sells.

The important point is we match or better the negative with a positive. Reality is people will make up their own minds based on what they read, interpret and understand.

Positive reality is -> Chemicals are designed to Kill (Plant animal or Insect) by changing cell structure or manipulating the growth habit of the 'patient' to do something it otherwise would not have done, anyone who thinks chemicals designed to manipulate one species can have no effect on a non-target species must have had too much Glypho in their morning coffee!

Lots of keywords there for the search engines... Now, lets sell the positive Chemical Free Philosophy!

20. butchasteve

Preaching to the converted gentlemen/women..

I already know the serious ills of what these things and that company does, hence me being on a permaculture forum in the first place.

I apologise to Milifestyle if I offended or upset you. It was meant to be a harmless joke. While pebbles may disagree, i never intended to offend anyone, just thought it would be funny. I now know better, and knowing it was actually upsetting someone I have removed it.