Faywood Hot Springs Food Forest project

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Bart the Gardener, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Bart the Gardener

Bart the Gardener New Member

Gardener and caretaker
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    High desert
    Hello this is my first post in the forum. I'd like to introduce a project I'm working on at a hot springs in New Mexico. Faywood hot springs is a 27 acre parcel on the edge of a 720 acre property in the high desert of SW New Mexico at around 5,000 ft.
    [​IMG]
    For the last year I've been playing with what will grow where etc. A lot of observation while I walked around this RV park, camp ground, Spa and recreational setting wrapped around a healing hot springs that has been being visited and used as an agricultural area as long as people have been here. The current owners would like to see the place become a regenerative food forest and are open to engaging in the process.
    Historically this place was known for it's dairy and orchards, up until 1930 or so. We hope to bring that abundance back using the hot springs as a focal and leverage point.
    I'm in the process of putting in food forest/ fedge and orchard pathways while slowly modifying the watershed by defining edges and creating pocket gardens throughout the property. This work goes on daily in a more or less unstructured manor. Lots of room for flexibility in schedule as well as form and methods.
    We are at the beginning stages of converting the surrounding acreage in to pollinator habitat and ever expanding food forest. We will also be producing veggies on a small farm scale with help from a local cooperative, to supply the on sight restaurant and community.
    I'm doing this while immersing myself in the permaculture universe via wifi, and drawing up designs and setting up FarmOs as a management tool. There isn't a lot of bureaucracy or committee stuff going on, meetings happen in the pathways, mostly I just keep doing what seems to need to be done, or what I feel like doing, at the time. It's self paced practical application of the permaculture design process, in a park like setting. Come enjoy the space and the hot springs and plug in to the permaculture process as and when you like.
    If this kind of project interests you, please contact me or stop by and visit.
    Some info is at http://bartswindow.com/ I'll start updating this site regularly now that it's winterish.

songbird likes this.
  2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    hello and welcome! what a wonderful opportunity!

your image did not post so perhaps the link is not publicly available or the picture is at another location?