"Desert on Hold"......Great Southern...West Oz

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by kimbo.parker, Sep 24, 2010.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

it has been a dry winter, and spring was dry ( it lasted a couple of weeks ) and it is very full steam ahead with climate change....

and the permaculture systems here have had to evolve and do it fast....
    most did it by through voluntary redundancy or to use the vernacular ' karking it'.

what stands is pretty resilient now...the fruit trees are in the water courses.
    the acacia and sandalwoods ( thousands ) require no inputs to yield edible protien.

the bee forests perform as they were designed and provide the right pollen and nectar flows at the right time...the apiary of 6 hives is sustainable with an eye to water consumption and enough for the bees (cooling).

all vegies and herbs are grown in containers, stacked under shade on top of tin such that the grey water irrigation ( by hand ) is caught and stored in a dip-able sump.

chickens process organics like paper, for delivery to worm farms which are kept moist with grey water ( by hand ) which again is caught by tin sheets and channelled to a sump for dip and pour irrigation of container plants.

the sheep are dropping twins all over the place. the flock grows. they need shearing which is good because i need the wool for more insulation of my shed/cave/dwelling prior to summer.blow flies are thick and i have to keep an eye on them.

the two cows need to be pregnant, to the right bull and this is an issue.

the chinese red dates are exciting...ziziphus jujube...i have 10 , of reputable cultivars.

meanwhile i'm messing around with fences and paddocks because there is always some improvement to make in where and how a fence goes.

keeping an eye open for the 'leaks' that permit rain ( if when one day please god ) to leave the property...

the wildlife prospers, the remnants are supported, the riparian zones reinforced, the granite rock forms managed....

fire season looms; firebreaks compel compromise....it is hard to get past herbicide,,,,the alternatives are steel and oil or technology beyond the common man.

the solar array, batteries and inverter are all keeping pace with demand...no small wonder given the clear skies.

so;
    seed protein, fruit and veg, bees, dairy, meat, fuel, poultry, eggs, water, power, insulation / shelter, forests and wildlife are all up, running, and resilient...

it is simply the best bit of applied permaculture that your ever gonna see in a long time my man i don't care where you are....it is frgn poetry and on a scale.

could i charge people to see it?.....no.
    it would be like charging someone to see your child...

in the case of desert on hold, some would likely find 'the child' dam ugly....others would see it as stupid,,,,ugly and stupid?

all right, i admit it...if she wasn't so ugly, sure i'd make some money off of her.

if the truth be known ( say to the japanese backpacker market ) that a magnificent example of aussie bush ingenuity was on display with a tour with a genunine aussie bush character complete with hat, gun and dog ; who would drive them around the place and give informative comment ( through an interpereter ) identifying trees and wildlife, and explaining that the entire show ran on fencing wire and bullshit,,,

i'd do it.

if i could just get 'income' sorted the pooch would fly.
    as it is, i am technically an extremely well off peasant without a zac.
    k

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Which makes you one of the exceptions to my post in the personal-effort thread Kimbo. Of course this is a ridiculous thing to say but I wish I was more like you Kimbo ;)

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yep I been to Kimbos Permie Paradise..

Its everything he says and more.....

The man is a Permaholic....

heres a shot from the road of his place.. he dont know i took this picture of his Dam that hes been digging out

Tezza

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

only joking Kimbo lololololololollolol

This is a picture of an open cut coal mine about 10 ks outa collie....

Its an absolute disaster zone,theres mountains of the waste just piled up into mini mountain ranges, and canyons.....

But hey dont worry folks its only Coal........

you only see it going out of collie via the back door.. and the residents of collie wonder why the black coal dust settles in the town 10 ks away.....

This country is MINES crazy and DOLLAR mad......

Dont get yourself wound up now Tez

Tezza

5. kimbo.parker

jeezies tezza you got me good with that ''pic of my place''....i was chucking a sad that you might have just put a pic of DOH up ( that would be wrong),,,,then i chucked another sad when i found that it wasn't of DOH at all, thinking ; that crazy man is going to blow my reputation and my cover ....to finally drop down to the post below when you come clean.....

it is late, i've been moving a chaps apiary and i'm a bit tired....else you wouldn't have got me.....
    no shit terry i'm having to pull a billy to calm,,,it would freak me out if i logged on and saw my baby....it would be tantamount to being dakked in public.

why (by the way) have you dumped your coal mine pics on my DOH thread?....ta mate....i'm sure they'll thrill the multitudes that want to see my work.
    are you still on for monday? catch you then.

ps i am not a permaholic either.....permaculture is passe pour moi....mine is more neomisantropicgreenhermit....i feel there is sufficient difference in our approaches fundamentaly to warrant a distinct division and its own name.

the only reason i even hang out here is because ( and this is ironic ) i thought permaculture was about systems design, and i do system design compulsively
    and there is no neomisanthropicgreenhermit forum.

oo roo

6. kimbo.parker

grahame

you hardarse you told me not to wallow, so don''t go soft on me now!

as for that post of yours....is personal effort enough?,,,,man i was the ONLY joe who said no!...i have checked the thread bro....show me the player who said it 'wasn't' not named kimbo,,,

there is a distinct lack of heart here my man,,,i was thinking that this place was stocked with senior cits but could be they are all gen y....that would explain this 'in it for themselves ...the converse of which is personal effort being enough ( or i'm wrong, happens when i guess ).

anyway; i think that the post itself seemed like the old grahame from a year ago, before you went through your sad, then hardarse periods.....that is positive.

the thing should have had the forum survey attached,,,,the click a box shit....
    i'm a big fan of the forum survey thingy (haha)
    do it man!.....i'll vote.
    then we can graph the sucker..........make sure we really understand the data (ha!)
    one joe, one.....makes me want to cry....exactly where the hell should i be ??? not frgn here that is for sure....

maybe it is just language...maybe i misconstrue 'personal effort'....maybe it does not mean or suggest what i think it means.
    maybe the data as i see it ( sample space your thread ) is "what?".........seems black and white....
    1 int 10. 10%
    good thing i was passing through or it could have been 100% of the survey believed personal effort was enough.

if it is, and i'm wrong....everyone looses (i think).....salvation comes from an all for one, one for all attitude.

we stop for the weak and we go back for the fallen,,,,everyone moves forward together or not at all,,,this is the hallmark of enlightened society...
    this is not done by a personal effort constrained to individuals,,,society needs help, we look after us and then we go to look after society.

for some, this may take the form of shit stirring and provoking society to stretch its attitudes...this is what i do....else i'd have to find something possibly harder and not as much fun.
    oo roo
    kimbo

7. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I fluctuate between being soft and being a hardarse; I am not yet a fully developed human. :blush:

Also on the one hand I think the personal effort is all we have. That doesn't mean the personal effort should be a selfish effort, or that it should be all about our own self interest. On the contrary sometimes I think real personal effort will involve activism, political foray's, revolution, or what ever it takes to create the world we are looking for. It takes ordinary people doing extra ordinary things.

We can only do what we can do, but what we can do is usually a lot more than what we are doing! Which is evident by the state of society and the world. That personal effort thread is mostly about my own internal struggle to be more than I am already being. It is a recognition that I have a lot more to give if only I could get over my own self doubt and short comings. I think sometimes we don't do more because we don't really know what to do or how to do it, but mostly we don't do more because we are personally afraid; we can't overcome our ordinariness.

So thank you Kimbo for reminding me that you aren't doing enough either. I don't want to be more like you anymore. Get on with it man! ;) Slash those tyres, burn down the $10 hot beef roll joints, do what ever it takes for you to be authentic. More authentic

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

On one shoulder I have Purplepear, on the other shoulder I have Kimbo. And they both whisper and cajole at my inner voices.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Someone just mistook me for a GenY! Cool.... You just made a Boomer happy. :)
    I'd pay to do a farm tour at your place. You could even knock up a shed and call it eco-tourism and offer accommodation and I'd come. Even without toilet paper....

10. kimbo.parker

so it is pp on the other shoulder....i knew it!

a rogue element.
    i knew it!...that frign hat man, i knew i'd seen it before.
    ha!
    g'day eco; "built it and you will come".....i'll keep that in mind....
    would you cough for a $10 hot spit beef roll as well?

the prospect of a captive paying audience really rings my bell....

i swear, i have to actually stop myself from rehearsing,,,,my speal.

i could do the showman bushy, piece of piss -
    born for the job....
    kind of a 'ringer' but kind of a 'tracker' and kind of a farmer and kind of a bushman that looks like a hippy, swears like a deckie, and takes a perverse pride in not being the full book.....

it writes itself!!!
    infinately marketable,,,i have you guys pegged as franchisees when i take Desert on Hold national.

so i'll just concentrate on establishing my brand, probably get a government grant via tourism or environmental streams....
    in end,,,,i'll have more money when i die and some holidays to see other peoples homes in between....

and for this bounty; all i have to do is turn DOH into a commercial venture...

NEVER>>>!

we will suffer, we will stay pure, we will die different...and for this i want my own earth like planet....having proven my uncorruptability and virtually martyred along the way, deserving.

[​IMG]

ever since i set eyes on this image i have been captivated....no polar ice....the northern hemisphere is all forests with some desert near the ocean....
    i experience a kind of lust.
    i want my own....it would explain so much.

11. kimbo.parker

pain of unrequited lust ( is that a word? ....yeah lust?)....sounds like something a chicken gets on it.

can you just see that baby sitting out there?....a Pangea like continent.....that forest could be something like the ancient oaks that covered earth, truly fat cracking stuff.

there could be a primitive semi human species, kinda childlike and innocent that would utilise my previous lifes training married to my wife....
    that i could inspire spiritually and genetically ( assuming i still need /want/can get laid from time to time).

that might be presumptuous though; for all i know all this lifes training has been to set me up for several millenia as a particular toxic vapour, purple ( i hope ) doing my thing on some back water.

it might be very anthropocentric to presume that humanity ( hail, hail) leads onto some meatless state of sublimity, and not some trail to a nasty parasite in some other dimension......well not all of us,,,which is precisely why i have this 'tack' about my own planet.

being different demands difference....it may be class elitism but i feel i deserve more than being chained in the hold with all the mob that wanted to be chained in the hold....

if there is a worthy compensation for being a fkn environmental saint, it would be something like my own planet where my tendency to enlightenment has earned me the power to manifest certain environmental balances....like the plague.

i would be good at it....i would be passionate.
    i'll just go back to staring at my planet for a while.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'd eat your $10 beef roll so long as you had raised the cow organically, killed it with your bare hands, and put it between 2 pieces of locally milled flour.... I'd even give you an extra 50c if you tossed on some fried onions and herbs from your herb spiral. (Do you even have a herb spiral? I'm thinking that it is a bit too predictable for you....)

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

you 2 wouldnt happen to be in cahoots together as MAC and DONALDS with your yummy beef rolls,but sorry at $10 even Ill forgo the EXpensive price tag

Tezza

14. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Permaculture Holiday Theme Park

Hey Kimbo... Id like to book a winter break special holiday again Mate?
    How are you going for bookings? Any vacancies available... i cam help you with my infamous Rope Making Classes again in Exchange again..
    Could you return my post, and give me a date where u may have,your D o H outdoor extravaganders... Otherwise i could come during a quiter period if more convienient.

Tezza

15. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Give us an update too Kimbo, we been missing you and wondering how you are.