Compost High PH/No dig slugs

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lockycturn, Jul 9, 2017.

1. lockycturn

lockycturn Junior Member

I purchased 5 square metres of mushroom compost. It has a ph level of around 7.5/8 taken with a simple ph test kit. Can I get any suggestions as to what to mix with it to get a lower ph. Pine needles and peat are the two I can come up with. Also I am in Hexham near Mortlake/Warrnambool Victoria and have mulched a lot of my beds with hay and am having terrible slug problems. I am getting some ducks but they will not be able to access all of my veg garden because of no fencing. I am thinking of mulching my brassicas with compost only. Please don't s tell me you can't mulch with compost only because there is a very successful Englishman Charles Dowding who only uses compost as mulch. https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/no-dig-growing/no-dig-growing-preparation/. The slug problem is really only on my brassicas so I am thinking to just clear the mulch around the brassicas and use only compost with some wood ashes sprinkled over and leave the rest of the garden as is.

chamni likes this.
  2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Have you checked the Ph of your soil?
    If you are mulching and not digging it in, it probably wont be too much of a problem as is.
    If your soil is really aciditic, it might be better to dig it in.

One Biodynamic book that I used to have but stupidly lent to somebody, recommended mulching with compost every year at the rate of an inch deep.(from memory).
    I've never had enough to do that myself.

chamni likes this.
  3. chamni

chamni Member

Climate:
    tropical rainforest
    hi lockycturn
    the using of plastic look interesting but i worry about sunlight because i live in hot climate(tropical zone) that temperature can reach up to 38 degree C. so tip burn might be effect my veg at noon any way i will try to do this method.
    THANK YOU