Clay pipe Irrigation

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ali, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Ali

Ali New Member

Climate:
    Oceanic Climate in the mid south of France.
    My wife and I grow a lot of Veg in our garden in the Dordogne. We have a very long growing season and enough water over winter for summer use if we could utilise this effectively.
    What we propose is to store in IBC tanks that will collect water from two large tiled roofs and run that water into clay pipes that run below the ground in our veg beds.
    A bit of an automated Olla pot arrangement. This is all quite practical but the bit of info that i am missing is the porosity of the clay pot. Olla pots clearly work but are too labour intensive so can anyone tell me what porosity the Olla pot has. I can then speak to manufacturers and find the suitable pipe that we need.
    We propose to lay around 80 m of pipe and link those to the IBC so that they have a continuous feed when there are plants in the ground.

songbird likes this.
  2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'm not sure how well this works for supplying plants with enough moisture during times of high demand - i don't have any experience with it. i would hate to put in an expensive system only to find out it doesn't do what is needed.