Bloody cats!!!!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by PDB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

Well if that wont, what will? If I was the person with the animal that strays away then that would most definitely motivate me to come up with a permanent solution quick smart. I don't see the need to pussyfoot ('scuse the pun) around cat owners just because they cant take a hint, especially if there was a prior warning as in my post above.

2. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

maybe a shiney new garage is the answer. What will you want to kill for the hail and ultra-violet damage?

3. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Ojo, .. huh?

4. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

5. PDB

PDB Junior Member

I think hes talking about the scraches on your car elliceh??

6. pete152

pete152 Junior Member

I think he is saying to use them as reinforcing in the new garage?? :(
    Cheers,
    Peter

7. Permibeginner

Permibeginner Junior Member

I thought what he was trying to say was if you are likely to kill the cat for scratching what are you going to do to stop the sun from damaging the car?

why not build a garage and solve both problems lol.

8. ppp

ppp Junior Member

So.. if I buy an Elephant for my 600m2 backyard. It's OK if it roams a bit.

If any of my neighbours have any problems with it squashing their pertunias or dog or house, then they need to build a 4 metre high fence to keep it out.

It seems there are three solutions to this problem
    1) $0.00 Cat & Elephant owners become responsible
    or
    2)$30 000 we all build cat / elephant - proof fence and garages
    or
    3) ~$100 or less. Trap / poison or shoot the offending pest.

Please note option 1, which I beleive to be the best outcome.

9. Permibeginner

Permibeginner Junior Member

I agree triple P.
    Cat owners need to be responsible. :)

A bit like gun owners and car drivers. If you own something it is your responsibility to ensure it does not adversely impact on others around you.

10. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

where do you live? :twisted: :twisted:

11. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

I think we can clearly see how idiotic cats make their ever loyal dim witted unconditional loving slaves. I bet you squish annoying little mosquitos without thinking about it.

Thats just what I do - 'squish' annoying pests. Such a pity that these creatures aren't (generally) looked after properly. You want to keep an introduced species then be prepared to keep it under control. My brother has the most adorable cat thats kept indoors.... seems perfectly happy to me playing with his wind up toys and sleeping in the linen closet.

Useful for controlling rodents? Some things that come to mind... cane beetle... cane toad... FANTASTIC IDEAS!

12. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

PS the car is undercover. The cat is the only natural disaster that touches it. For the moment anyway :lol:

13. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

FERAL very FERAL Cats

There are about ten million feral cats in Australia.
    That's not USA/ American-"cute-but-neglected-city-stray"
    (Which you euthanase 5-10Mil of every year).
    These are big , aggressive, no holds barred, top-of -the-heap, predators that do untold damage to all sorts of wildlife here.

There is no similar carnivore in our ecosystem with perhaps the exception of the Tasmanian "tiger" who eat a lot of carrion and seem most content fighting each other.

One Australian reptile I would never tangle with is a Goanna. They are like smaller versions of Monitor blizzards of Indonesia-2-4 metres long. I was amazed to find that feral cats hunt and eat them too!
    Big mean mothers!

In Australian slang, someone who has "gone feral", is totally out of control.

14. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Trap, neuter,Release. (TNR) is working pretty good here. We have ferals they aren't unique to Australia. I do have pity for your marsupials, but cats aren't the only introduced species doing the damage. Loss of habitat is a bigger concern. TNR won't satisfy the blood-lust, but it will help control the ferals.

https://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 77,00.html

Professor Dickman recently called for dingoes to be re-introduced in NSW to protect native animals from feral animals such as foxes and cats and says that part of the motivation for writing A Fragile Balance was to highlight the threat of extinction for native animals.

"We're pushing many species to extinction," says the scientist who has had a life-long fascination with mammals. "There are some ten or eleven marsupials that are now extinct, three that are currently in imminent danger of extinction, including the northern hairy-nosed wombat, and dozens more that are vulnerable."

According to Professor Dickman, Australia has at least 20 extinct native species of mammals - a higher number than any other country in the world. "Half of the mammal extinctions over the last two centuries have been in Australia," he says, adding that many of these extinctions have been caused by Australia condoning land-clearing on a larger scale than almost any other country.
    excerpt
    https://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=2068

Australian studies found that the neutering of several feral colonies led to an overall reduction in cat numbers as the resident, non-breeding populations deterred other cats which would have swarmed into a vacated area. The few cats which did join the managed colonies could be identified, trapped and neutered, or rehomed if tame.

Eradication methods, even if implemented humanely, cannot solve the feral cat problem. Trap-neuter-return methods sometimes seem like a drop in the ocean, but offer a longer-term solution, giving healthy ferals the chance of a decent life and freedom from the otherwise endless cycle of breeding while those which cannot be re-released can at least be given a humane and painless escape from their predicament.
    https://www.feralcat.com/sarah2.html

you've been losing marsupials for three thousand years...
    where are the, "lets compost the dingos" threads?

The Dingo is now Australia's largest living land-based carnivore. It originated on the south-east Asian mainland between 6000 and 10,000 years ago and was brought to Australia by seafaring Asian peoples around 3000 to 4000 years ago. Soon after the Dingo arrived, Australia's largest marsupial carnivores of the time, the Tasmanian Thylacine and Tasmanian Devil, died out on the Australian mainland. The Dingo's success is probably due to its ability to hunt in well-organised packs.
    excerpt
    https://www.lostkingdoms.com/facts/factsheet58.htm

15. Michaelangelica

[/quote]
    Totally inappropriate in an Australian environment.

16. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Ojo

Yes we have the dingo, but they have been here for thousands of years and might be considered part of the natural ecology. Is permaculture about stable systems and ecology?

Irrespective of that, even if the dingo is a bad thing, does that provide a logical argument for allowing another to run rampant?

I understand the TNR concept and it may be appropriate in places, however Australia being so vast, and the damage so widespread, that it would seem inapropriate to catch an animal only to re-release it. If only there was a biological control. Then we could get rid of both feral and domesticated cats. !! I can here the catless owners meow already.

17. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Well, which permaculture zone does the shiny new car go in? Cat scatches it, annoying, squish them. Bird shits on it, annoying, squish them. Neighbor kids baseball dents the fender, annoying.......
    I call that habitat loss. When you've destroyed all the habitat for natives, guess who will be left. You can kill all the cats and it won't keep people from propagating spreading out reducing habitat, who will you blame then?

18. Michaelangelica

KILL CATS

We have plenty of room
    Typical USA, total rubbish about feral cats
    Come out and have a look!
    We are talking about very isolated 1,000 K from anything areas where feral cats wreak havoc to anything that moves- birds, small marsupials and even goannas.

I love cats
    I have always had a cat.
    But the Oz bush/outback is not the place for them.
    There they they need to be totally exterminated
    Together with other feral animals- pigs, cane toads, cattle,horses, camels, foxes, rabbits and mice.

19. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Australia isn't so vast that you can't build a fence across it. Didn't work so great? The feral colony I lived near in Colorado had twenty to thirty adult members, when they would litter, sometimes there would be 60 or more (including young) and that is with severe winters which controlled breeding and survival rates. You couldn't walk outside your front door without seeing a few around. It was a mess. TnR was already being used when I moved in here. One of the first things that happened when I moved here was the neighborhood representative gave me the phone number to call for cat traps. I have 3 or 4 that I see very infrequently, no litters, no young ones. I've never had to call for a trap. It's warm year round here, they could breed year round. Give me a choice between 60 and three that I rarely see. I'll take the three. Nature abhors a vacuum. You kill a hundred and a hundred more will swoop in to harvest those resourses. A trash dumpster at the McDonald's was the biggest resource that supported the colony in Colorado. Keeping it closed could have done alot to control them. People are the main problem, nature could take care of itself if we didn't interfere so much. Wait a few years then you can call the cats "naturalized too", no more problem.

20. Michaelangelica

[​IMG]
    You have over 10 times the population for almost the same area.

Get a life!
    Come out and have a look.
    We have built two fences (visible from the moon) mostly they just damage wildlife.
    I have had the same argument with Yanks on previous occasions you just can't understand how vast this county is. Or how different is our meaning of the word "feral". Our feral cats are not little, neglected USA city pussies.

Your techniques are laughable here.
    Just tell a country Australian you had neutered and then let loose a feral cat.
    He is likely to deck you for your stupidity.

Did you read my previous posts? We have nearly 10 million feral cats!
    About the same number that you euthanase ever year.
    So don't get too 'high-and-mighty' with Australians.
    Look to solving you own scandalous problems.
    If we could only kill ten million a year we would be laughing so too would the Australian wildlife.