best shredder

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by solidlight, Aug 24, 2008.

1. solidlight

solidlight Junior Member

During warm season, county will chip any wood (except blackberry and poison oak) I drag up to the road side. I have two acres spread down from the road. Not sure if the dragging back and forth is worth it. I'm in my early 60's and don't have a lot of time.

But for composting, seems appropriate to get a shredder for cardboard, and newspaper. What are the best shredders available in the U.S.? Seems I read something about lawn mowers being good shredders.

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Re: best shredder

I bought a cox shredder last year.......it has a large and small shute and will shread hay. I have a lot of onsite greens so think the shredder is warranted but it takes more time and effort than I anticipated. A resident here (commercial gardener) uses his large mower and catcher to shred his clippings. It works really well especially on the autumn leaves, you might need to look at a stronger mower with big catcher.
    Cheers
    Cathy

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Garden shredders don't work well for paper, and not at all for cardboard. Most garden shredders have a thing like a flail inside that beats the branches, although the ones that can handle larger branches may have something else.

Lawnmowers do fine for plant material that is dry and not too hard or too thick, great for leaves. They may handle clean, dry straw as long as it's fluffed out and not still in flakes, but I haven't tried it.

If you decide to buy one, don't get one that drops the shredded material right under the shredding unit, as you'll have to keep stopping and raking the material out from under. One that throws it to the side a bit (not a blower) onto a tarp is a lot less work. Guess how I know this?

Paper and cardboard are usually cut or ground, an entirely different kind of mechanism. There is one kind of shredder (the Flowtron) that has a nylon whip (like a weed whacker) that will shred paper quite well, but you can't do a lot very fast, and not at all if the paper is wet. I don't know about cardboard.

I did read about a unit that shreads cardboard for a worm bed, but you have to cut the cardboard into strips first, then feed it into the unit. I think it was made by Aurora. It didn't sound fast.

Sue

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day solidlight,

the common garden type shredders are not made to shred paper/cardboard.

but if that is the way you want to go you realy can't go past the greenfield peacemaker, for you i'd suggest the 10hp electric start with the honda motor though i got good service out my 5hp b&s i/c powered machine until i sold it.

a lot have urchased the greenfield and never looked back, and to date i have never seen or heard of another that will come close to it, damn fine machinery.

for paper/cardboard you need to be looking for other machinery, for us we'd simply make use of the stuff as it comes as having a machine just to shred that is most likley not going to be a good move. it's the green stuff you want to shred an the greenfiled does the fibrous stuff perfectly ie.,. banana plants, plam fronds any o tht sort of stuff we have in our gardens.

len

5. redorangenbrown

redorangenbrown Junior Member

I would like to echo Len's praises. We bought a second hand Greenfield peacemaker with a Honda motor some years back and it is great. We run everything through it before making compost in tumblers. It struggles with green Qld Arrowroot stems but hey that's no real problem.

6. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Not sure on their availability in the U.S. but i use a Masport shredder that has both flails and a side chipper that takes up to 65mm branches (about 2 and a half inches).

Mine is the type that Sue doesn't like :) it drops the chips out the bottom. I set mine up so i start at one point and when i've finished i have a row (or 2 or 3) about 2 or 3 meters long. Thats if i'm shredding where i want the chips to stay.

If i'm shredding and moving it i just lay a tarp on the ground and shred until i've moved it a couple of times then empty the tarp in the wheelbarrow for transportation.

My suggestion is, whatever shredder you choose, your best bet is a belt driven unit. If you are going to have something jam in the shredder your better off having the belt slip than having the drive shaft in the motor break. Most belt driven units use the weight of the motor as the belt tensioner which makes for easy belt replacement and maintenance.

Examples from a US website...
    http://toolsmet.com/chippers-shredders-and-mulchers/

My Unit...
    http://www.masport.com.au/PRODUCTS/Outd ... fault.aspx

Hope that helps.

7. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Len - am looking at getting a piecemaker now. They now have Kawasaki and B&S options. Am just trying to decide whether its worht spending the extra to get the 10.5 (or 11? - can't remember) as opposed to the 5.5. And of course need to get it past the Mrs :lol:

8. ppp

ppp Junior Member

does anyone have a shredder that I could borrow in return for, say some help with a job?
    A vague option is to biochar them, but I don't think I'll find the time to build the setup, and then I've got nowhere to store it really..

The final alternative, I'm afraid, is I am going to put the large pile of prunings I have been acumulating into the tip. :-(

9. gardenlen

g'day veggieboy,

you need a lot of work for the 10hp models have heard it can take 2 people to feed them to keep up with them. if you look after it and run it in properly you will have a machine technically for life. the kawasaki should be a good donk also.

not best to store pruning they go dry best shredded when fresh and green, once pruning go dry you blunten the blades rapidly (blades need to be honed porfessionaly as they are case hardened) plus they should probably go through a chipper machine, at the end of the common garden shredders are only that a shredder not a chipper. i used to prune and shred all in the same time frame all too easy then, wouldn't suggest you sue older stuff into a new machine right up. anyhow something to think about. maybe for now go hire a machine for what you ahve piled up.

len

10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Thanks Len - I've got nothing piled up and always inteded to do while green. Is interesting to hear about the blades not being able to be sharpenned at home though - thanks.

11. gardenlen

they are a reversable blade, so you get 2 goes before the need to sharpen, at a shop that sharpens tools, you will get a lot of work out of one edge if yu work within the machines capacity.

would suggest you replace the balds studs and spring washers as about each third use, check with greenfield i think they suggest this, as when thread edge of stud wears and washer loses spring capacity tend to over tighten and then strip the threads which then means new blades.

len

12. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Thanbks for the tip Len.

13. solidlight

solidlight Junior Member

Thank you all for your helpful information. Just got back to view this!

14. gardenlen

just in case "bald studs" = "blade studs". the reason being the spring washers lose tension so we then tend to over tighten and that can strip the case hardened thread inside the blade, so cheaper to replace studs and washers regular could even replace washers more often maybe?

damn fine machinery though all the same.

len

15. diygarden

diygarden New Member

Climate:
    Cold
    I've got the Bosch AXT 25 TC shredder and it's been fantastic. Very reliable, hardly ever jams, and can chomp through most branches and shrubs. It's not cheap though! Here are some other ones than you might want to consider: