Avocado leaf damage pest help please

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ed209, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Ed209

Ed209 New Member

Climate:
    Cfb - Temperate (Melbourne Australia)
    Hi

My wurtz avocado is 5 years old, and over the past few months has started to suffer from leaf damage. I suspect it is some kind of pest, however not sure exactly what to do about it.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Yep! Something is eating your leaves hard out!
    I have Avocadoes growing here too but have never seen that sort of damage on any of them.
    Is it possible for you to look at the leaves close to where the damage is to see what sort of insects you have on them, better still, a leaf that is partial damaged?
    That might give you a better idea of what is doing the damage, but it isnt going to tell you why they are attracted to your tree.
    You can use some sort of pest control but thatis sort of dealing with the symptoms rather than the cause.

I say this because I have come to the conclusion that plants, like people, are more likely to become sick when they are stressed out.
    Find that out and fixing it is more likely to deal with it in the long term, as opposed to having to use sprays, even organic ones.

It might be a good idea to see what could be done to improve its growing conditions.....could it benefit from extra mulch?water?
    Hope that helps.

songbird likes this.
  3. Ed209

Ed209 New Member

Climate:
    I think it might be a possum. Looks like I might have to net the tree unless there are any other ideas :(

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    That looks a lot like a caterpillar is eating your trees, look at the eating pattern on the partially consumed leaves.
    Most of the caterpillars that would do that damage will go to the ground between feeding times so if you have a heavy mulch, pull it back away from the tree to allow about a foot of bareness and see if that helps the situation, most likely the caterpillars are hiding in the mulch when they aren't feeding (daylight hours).

You might be able to stop them or at least capture some of them if you lay out some sticky plates. Another method would be to do a heavy sprinkle of DE all the way around the tree trunk about 3 feet wide and thick enough to not be able to see anything but the DE.

Improve your soil by increasing the mineral content, adding good compost as a mulch layer. If you can find some Sea-90 use that since it will add around 95 trace minerals to your soil in one application.

Redhawk

5. Ed209

Ed209 New Member

Climate:
    Ok thanks will give it a try on the weekend

6. Ed209

Ed209 New Member

Climate:
    Couldn't see any obvious insect life under the tree, but put some copper and grease bands around the trunk just in case. Damage got a lot worse overnight. As there were some broken branches I figure it must have been a possum. As such I netted what leaves were left, hopefully the tree will survive. Not sure if I should prune the limbs which have been stripped of leaves or leave in the hope it regrows.... any ideas?

Attached Files:

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Looks like a possum to me
    try some chill powder

8. Banter

Banter New Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean
    As suggested either possums or caterpillars. Probably worth trying a garlic/chilli spray or perhaps a neem oil spray. Goodluck!