Anti-GMO 'Santo' movie

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Earth's Internet, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Cheers, Bill. It's all good. I think I was born with a sceptical mind. RationalWiki is always a fairly decent resource with which to start one's 'fact checking' exercise. However, there is no substitute for studying the primary documents. Of which I did in the case of Seralini's (2012) paper, hence my earlier stated position that it 'has been thoroughly discredited'. Of course, don't just take my word for it - you might draw a different conclusion. Peace and respect, Mark.

2. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Many of us like to keep an open mind about these things. Like I said, I've found nothing good about roundup ready crops(or other herbicide resistant crops). Having said that, I'm not ready to completely throw out the technology. GM technology very well could be important once it is better understood in the laboratory. Some people went nuts with it straight away, just like young drivers and texting. I'm a firm believer that our scientific advancements(and greed) have far outpaced our wisdom.

My "litmus test" of sketchy information revolves around how much emotion is injected in to what is supposed to be a factual, unbiased report. Don't get me wrong, I know that a lot of ecologically disastrous products and practices can be emotional. I too get angry at times(quite a lot when I read the doom and gloom stuff). But once we start introducing emotions in to our debates, they become arguments. Arguments get us nowhere.

I live in the Greater New Orleans area. I know some of the outcomes of nitrogen pollution first hand since every year we get an increasingly larger area of hypoxia at the mouth of the Mississippi River. Our drainage canals also suffer from hypoxia if we get a couple months of no rain during the summer months(these canals are not connected to the Mississippi). While hypoxia isn't just nitrogen pollution, it does play a large part in it. My job deals with those drainage canals, and I know how to fix a fair amount of the environmental problems with them. Yet everyone that I talk to about it just looks at me like I'm crazy.

That link points me to a video about BRIX.

More on nitrogen toxicity(animals and plants):

https://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_ID=7709
    https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/01610.html
    https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/crops/00517.html

3. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

The nitrogen toxicity comes from the method of fertilizing the GMO plants. These plants do not grow hair net roots in response, drinking in vast quantities of NPK, become weak, and thus need herbicide protection (yes, plus all the other 'cides). Watch the entire video...

I don't believe you have created a strawman by using the word emotion, but I want to be clear I am not emotional. I do have a wide knowledge concerning the energy cost of agri-business in general, and the GMO/herbicide with which we discuss. When figures like ten calories of energy to grow one calorie of food is presented, then it is a losing proposition and will not last. Three to one will not last. Two to one will not last.

Like Geoff Lawton said in his Permaculture Design Course, it is a dead end.

Also, the term "gloom and doom" is mostly used as another strawman argument, as because I don't agree with you, I am therefor in the gloom and doom camp. Well Mr., Permaculture is not a doom and gloom scenario, it is the solution to the problems. IMO, there is no room for GMO in a nature-based agricultural system and it is not even necessary. So I plan to not waste my time or money on it.