dairy goats and gum trees?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Nickolas, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Nickolas

Nickolas Junior Member

is feeding eucalyptus branches and leaves to dairy goats ok for the goats health?

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi Nickolas.
    I cut & pasted this from here:
    https://home.vicnet.net.au/~yvgoat/poison.htm

I used to feed my dairy goats black wattle leaves which they loved. (In addition to their grain & lucern hay of course.)

Poisonous and Sometimes Poisonous Plants for Goats, Symptoms of Poisoning and What to do if You Suspect Poisoning

Common poisonous plants for goats are:

Azaleas
    Rhododendrons
    Fuchsias
    Hydrangeas
    Oleander
    Laurel
    Foxgloves
    Poppies
    Laburnum
    Bulbs
    Rhubarb leaves
    Larkspur
    Yew
    Lilac
    Lily of the Valley
    Lobelia
    Lilac and Privet - poison the milk.
    Boobyalla - poisons the milk sometimes but not at other times.
    Potato haulm - a cumulative poison, it contains the toxic alkaloid solanin (nightshade).
    Rhubarb leaves and Soursob - contain oxalates. Goats seem to be able to eat them occasionally with no ill effects but it depleats the calcium levels in the goat.
    Cape weed - Calendula artotheca - can be lethal following drought or if pushed out by other animals so there is nothing else to eat. It contains nitrates that convert to poisonous nitrites and Cape Weed only grows where the soil is poor and low in pH.
    Variegated Thistle - contains nitrites in dangerous amounts.
    Sugar Gums and many Eucalyptus - contain hydrocyanic acid (prussic acid) especially in young shoots which is very poisonous to goats.
    Be wary of: Sorghum, Sudan Grass, Linseed, White Clover, and Bitter Almonds as the contain prussic acid. They could be safe if not fed in excessive amounts.
    St John's Wort, Heliotrope, Red Clover contain high amounts of copper and can be toxic to white goats .
    Symptoms of poisoning

Vomiting.
    What to do if you suspect poisoning

Contact your veterinarian immediately.

3. matto

matto Junior Member

Mistletoe is supposed to be good medicine

4. beanni

beanni New Member

My goats love small leaf privet. I notice above that it states privet is poisonous to the milk, does that mean it will poison the kids that are suckling? Also would goat meat from goats that consume privet be poisonous to humans?

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi Beanni,
    Welcome to the forum, I hope you do find out for sure, but i think would be safe to avoid feeding them this.
    I havent had that much to do with goats for a very long time, but one thing I did come away with was that Goats who are allowed to do their own foraging prefer trees and bushes rather than grass- so top grazers not bottom feeders.

As a kid, I did get to see the older goats chase off the younger ones from things that they shouldnt have been trying to eat. I havent heard that anywhere else, but it has always stuck in my head even after all this time. i dont know if was just the Saanen or if all goats do it, but fascinated me- cant remember now what they didnt want the younger ones eating.