Howdy Ya'll...from San Antonio(ish) Texas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Donald Hutton, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Donald Hutton

Donald Hutton New Member

What ever needs done
    Climate:
    (Zone 9) 28-30" rainfall yearly 470' elev. hot n dry
    New to the permaculture scene (technically) and I just can't get enough. Im like a sponge soaking up every bit of information I come across, relevant to my property of course. I live on 5 acres of relatively flat land (7% or less slope overall) so as much as I want to build a swale there are more productive things to do with my time. Cleaning up 25+ years of neglect and carelessness is quite a chore for a one man army but I'll push on until I'm done or dead.

Im looking for a permaculture group in the San Antonio Tx. area but the ones I've found online are not current. Wondering if any of ya'll fine folks might know of someone who could point me in the right direction.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Donald and welcome!
    I looked at the Permaculture Global maps, both People and Projects in the San Antonio area. There are a few local Permaculturists registered nearby and a few projects. If the local Pc groups are no longer active, perhaps through their contact information you could get them going again?

I'm in similar situation with an old farm and numerous outbuildings that have been here since the early 1900's. Although I don't get surface water flow, I am putting in swales fed by the roofs of some of the buildings. This works well where the caliche isn't too close to the surface.

Do you have caliche soil?

3. Donald Hutton

Donald Hutton New Member

What ever needs done
    Climate:
    (Zone 9) 28-30" rainfall yearly 470' elev. hot n dry
    Fortunately, no. I do not have caliche in my soil. The first 5 - 8 inches of my 5 acres is excellent soil, rich, full of life and nutrients. Unfortunately, my land is also almost dead center of a 5 square mile slab of clay any where from 8 - 26 feet thick. When it rains it's nasty, slick, sticky until it drys out somewhat in the sun. Here lately though the rain is relentless. Almost 12 1/2 inches since mid Sept, I know for a fact from setting fence posts that it's saturated down to a depth of more than 3 feet. I can watch a post hole fill with water seeping from in from the ground around it. When there is no rain the ground cracks and splits wide enough to fit my arm through and some of them I cant feel the bottom.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    With all that clay, I bet you have a large list of cob projects!