Christian (YWAM) Missionaries also Permies looking for a place to go.

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Jalex, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Jalex

Jalex Junior Member

Hello, Name is Alex 25, My wife 24 and son who is 18 months old and we have completed staff training with Youth with a mission (YWAM) and I am currently studying permaculture
    we are looking for anywhere that needs help, I have an organic agricultural background, and livestock experience growing up on a grain and cattle farm in Saskatchewan Canada
    Recenty I have been studying sustainable living and permaculture, my wife and I are also missionaries with YWAM and we are looking for our next step.

Preferably we are looking for a place (country) that we can call home besides north America

We have a heart for the middle east but anyplace where they have a need would be great. Help with immigration as well as help with the flight to get us there would be great.
    We are not financially stable at the moment, still working with Youth With a Mission and not having a traditional job.
    My farming experience goes back to when I was a child I am 25 now, and I have studied permaculture and sustainable living for about a year now.

We are seeking a job or a place where we can live and help everyone around us... helping them to become self-sufficient.

I know it may be a long shot to post a need like this out there, but here goes

Extra details...
    My wife is Swiss and New Zealander
    and I am only Canadian
    My son is Swiss and Canadian

If it is in New Zealand immigration should not be too difficult, like with all immigration it will be time consuming.

2. Natasha

Natasha Junior Member

Hi Alex, I have missionary friends in Iraq who are working with gardens and may be helping a refugee camp in the near future. However, I doubt they would have the finances to buy your tickets. . . . Let me know if you would like to know more about them, and I can send you some of their newsletters.
    Thanks, Natasha

3. Jalex

Jalex Junior Member

Very interested

Natasha... we are very interested, we are saving up for flights at the moment but yes anymore information would e great.

4. Natasha

Natasha Junior Member

email

Hi Alex,

Could you email met nnelsonturner at gmail dot com? I think it would be better if I sent you some info through there.

Thanks so much,

Natasha

5. Natasha

Natasha Junior Member

Oops, I meant, could you email me

6. creative planet

creative planet Junior Member

Hi Alex,
    I started searching Ywamers & permaculture on the internet and your old post came up. My name is Ron, have lived in France the last 17 years originally from Pennsylvania. My last 27 years have been pioneering arts in mission but eventually I am interested in going into permaculture, was hoping to maybe see where you end up; Iraq, N Zealand, etc...drop me line if you would please. Also hoping to perhaps ask an occasional question.

Wisdom and courage,

Ron

7. Jalex

Jalex Junior Member

Hello Ron, Currently we are in Saskatchewan, Canada. I have been excavating now for about a year. Although we are not doing any current missions my wife and I are learning more about permaculture and holistic management, my wife has focused more on nutrition and health, as well as psychology which are great fields for living self-sufficiently. The work I do now in excavating gives me an opportunity to learn about soils, dam construction as well as making roads and trenching in water and sewer in cold climates.

I haven't done much in propagation or plants but a lot in soils. If you are wondering what I mean by soils I mean balancing soil minerals to grow nutrient dense foods. Like in permaculture you hear lots about rock powders and adding compost, but those are still missing something, if your soil is low in cobalt, copper, and has a high amount of magnesium then your soil will always compact and you will need to add tonnes of compost to make it spongy each year for new growth to take place. Balancing soil minerals insures that you have the healthiest food for proper bone growth so you keep your teeth forever.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

To start off though I will suggest some good reads.

After working at a few missions bases and eating low quality foods my son began to develop weak bones and teeth and even chipped a tooth without hitting it, so we learned about healing teeth. What we got was amazing, increased health and energy as well my son's teeth hardened and began so solidify. So I highly recommend
    Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel
    Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
    If you're having kids
    The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care by Sally Fallon Morell

For Balancing soils:
    The intelligent gardener by Steve Solomon and Erica Rienheimer

Ron what you should know about me is that I never recommend anything unless I have tested and tried something. I have been studying holistic management but I don't have land or cattle to begin to practice so in that way I won't recommend those just yet.

Good luck with learning permaculture, if you screamed out to God one day asking Him what you are made for and he shows you land around the world going from desolation to lush landscapes then throws you back in your body and says "this is what I made you for...." then 'neat' me too.
    See you around
    Alex

8. creative planet

Hi Alex,
    That was a very thoughtful and detailed message, I appreciate you taking the time to for this, will make note of the reading list.

It seems clear the knowledge of soils would be a very important if not fundamental to good growing practices, results, quality. Good to hear that perspective.

The way people treat each other and the earth is a regular source of anguish, that is a lot what is pushing me to imagine a way out of participating in the many unhealthy modes of living.

I'll pose questions if some come up.

All the best to you,

Ron

9. Jalex

Jalex Junior Member

Hello Ron

There is one thing I would suggest, if you need to use water harvesting techniques on your land or land that you are working with, then you are only treating the symptoms of a larger problem. The larger problem is that your land is not absorbing water, if you were to regenerate your land to a point where you have maximum absorption then there would be no need for swales and dams and gabions ect. We can talk more on that later.

Where did you do your DTS?

Alex

10. creative planet

Hey Alex,

Ok, good point.

My DTS was in Maui outreach Philippines & Hong Kong. Immediately after I was staff on Windows dance '86 YWAM Hong Kong for 9 months. Had one other 4 month stint with a YWAM Switzerland dance team in '89. Since then I have visited some bases but little more.

In no way related to what you said about water absorption, but have you heard of Aquaponics? YWAM Romania uses the technique to grow plants without soil: https://www.tpmconstanta.ro/en/ministries/aquaponics

Seems to me a Ywamer in Hawaii came up with the technique, not 100%.

Ciao!

Ron

11. Sim Topas

Sim Topas New Member

Climate:
    Hot tropical climate

12. Michael Zobel

Michael Zobel New Member

Climate:
    cold temperate rainforest
    Hi Alex, you wife is probably aware that immigration to Australia is not too difficult for NZ citizens