trial and error in coastal pacific panama

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by witingaia, Sep 22, 2017.

1. witingaia

witingaia New Member

artist
    Climate:
    tropical
    hi we r a family of three my partner Carlota our daughter Zen (4yrs) and myself rob .. we have a smallish lot in coastal pacific panama ( 3000 sqm) and have been working on it for the last thirteen yrs .. we started before even hearing of permaculture .. but wanted to be organic .. we r artists using natural materials ..driftwood etc .. and have been finanzing our project through our work teaching english or spanish massage and idd jobs here and there .. our house is made of natural and recycled materials ..it is dug out of the hillside with an open front and recycled poollinner covered with vines (empress eugenia ) as a roof ..the garden was iriginaly a cow pasture on hard red clay soil...where we planted fuit tress in a happhazard non designed knd of way .. snce begining with no knowlage of building nor of organic horticulture let aline permaculture we have had more and more exsposure to permaculture first through Bill Mollison s introduction book and the odd fellow we have met on the way we have implemented permaculture techniques to adapt to or inicial starts .. denser growing ,, banana circles .. nitrogen fixers ..balo guava boton de oro .. hugle cultur ...mega mulching ... swales that on learning more are not realy swales but water catchments and drainage dirches mini swales at best..but they do nake a difference ...our garden is now very lush producing some food and medicinal s and we have plenty of bio mass for mulching we have got here the hard way and still have far to go and much to learn but we love it ... thankfully we now have goid phone signal and have access to internet and unlimited info and expert advice itslike seeing the sun for the first time ...here we have w very wet seasons and very dry seasons .. the village has a limited water supply in the dry season we do not have a well ir the resouces to drill one .. i have been immersed in the irrigation articles the last couple of days and was inspired by the olas ,, wicks .. loop syphons and self watering buckets .. these r reveroations to us .. we r so thankfull to become part of this community and have access to the ideas of genius...we wish to contribute in a positive and constructive way and network with others .. especialy those in our locality ..we wish fluid harmony to all

toriolove likes this.
  2. toriolove

toriolove New Member

Architect
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Tropical
    Hi Rob! I'm fernanda. Me and Mosh just got some land in Torio, and what a coincidence that we enter this forum at the same period of time. Can we come visit you? Let me know where to find
    Hi Rob! Im Fernanda, we met like three years ago in playa reina. My boyfriend Mosh and I finally got some land in Torio (wohoo!), so will start soon to practice permaculture. You guys live in Palo Seco?? We come by and visit you!! Its a wonderful coincidence you are the first thread i entered in this forum which im also new to.