Hello from South Carolina

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Benjy136, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

PS What are trophy points?

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    hey Benjy made it back! whee! glad to hear you and auntie Willie are doing ok.

the honey thing is going to be a challenge. the real stuff crystalizes after a while... it's still good, just crunchy. :)

trophy points are listed someplace i ran across, but i can't find it again now. haha. you get points for doing certain things (most of them are from how many posts you write and how often). <--- ok, i found it, click on someone's avatar and then on the trophy points number there's the list...

gotta get some sleep, nite all...

3. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Uncle Ben very nice to see you made it back. Good to see you and Willie are doing well. As usual time is a scarce commodity around here. We went to New Zealand for Christmas and our 40th Wedding anniversary. Just a memory now lol. Back at work again. Good to get a full weeks pay in tomorrow. The Woodies have taken off with a blast this year. No time for the worms at the moment. Not sure if I told you but I have registered Brian's Worms as a business. Should be Brian's Woodies now. I did a tally up before of the amount of carrots they have eaten since the start of October when I registered. !42 kg. I didn't keep track of them before. They are eating machines. Not sure how much dry dog food but must be close to 30 kg in the same time. I do a swap of woodies for dog food so haven't kept track of the amount.

My friend is looking at screw pressed honey and cut comb honey. No heating involved. He got one of those Flow Hives too where you turn the tap and honey pours out of the hive without disturbing the bees. The honey is so clean and clear. Unfortunately the Flow Hives are way over the top price wise. With the screw pressed honey it is basically just squeezed out of the wax. Cant get much better that.
    Better go and feed the woodies before I go to bed. Great to see you back.

Pak I hope you are doing ok. Songbird if you are doing the PM with him please pass on my best wishes in case he isn't checking here. Take care all

4. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Songbird and Brian (and Pak, if you are on. The honey crystallizing is no problem. As long as I keep the temp below 140F it can be brought back to liquid without ruining it and without much effort. I told the shipper not to have it delivered on Saturday, as it will sit outside and surely crystallize outside. It got up to 34F today and some stuff that came by UPS was not frozen but pretty darn cold. Songbird, you must be using a lot of fuel with all the cold you're getting. We are just on the edge of all that STORMY stuff the East Coast is getting, so it's mostly rain and cold, Brrrr.

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Benjy, very mild here this winter so far, yes some cold spells, but not too bad at all
    compared to what it could be like. the super cold weather has not hit here yet. only a
    few nights of single digits (-15C) and some days with a stiff cold breeze. we don't walk those
    days. today was sunny and mid 20s (-4C). for Jan-Feb that is good.

have not heard anything from Pak. so can't say what's from what, but i hope he's
    doing ok.

6. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I see on our news the Eastern States of the US are copping record snow and cold. Uncle I assume that means you. Stay warm my friend. Extra cuddling with Willie might be in order. Share body heat lol. Songbird I am under the impression you are on the other side of the country on Pak's side of the would.
    Uncle how much honey can you eat? if you want creamed honey just whip it with a beater then put in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Mind you you could just leave it out over there as it would be cold enough.
    A tree fell down on Woodie Central ( my woodie shed) Only crushed 3 containers and only one of them had woodies in it. My shelving held the tree up which surprised me and saved further damage. The shed is a write off so good chance to get something a little bigger. I have a 7' x 7' now and have ordered a 10' x 10'. I just need more floor space not shelf space. When I am packing there is no room and I am tripping over stuff. With the new shed should be better as I can organize it so it is more user friendly. Stay warm

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

(((group hugs everyone)))

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Today it got into the mid 70's and bad men were arrested in my state.

I planted 2 cherry bushes recently and I have been cloning Willows with an aeroponic setup. There is medical clones in it also but the willow is the important thing here because I like all the neat stuff you can do with it. To that end, when this batch of clones is done I am going to also clone 21 corkscrew willow.

I'm still caring for 2 people while trying to pull this off.. and this is the 1st year I feel I am doing well. My 1st two food forest swales are coming along well. The chickens have ravaged the land in a good way where my veg normally grows.

We have dropped down from "Extreme Drought" status to the 1st level aka "Dry" yet we can currently use burn barrels and the like.

Currently I am working on making a chicken coop / telescope tower to put me another 5' over the level of the ground. :)

Yes Songbird, Im being safe and slow. :)

9. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    glad to hear about the safe and slow Pak! around here safe and slow also applies when it snows. :) i'm not going out much except for walks once in a while when the road is not icy and the wind levels don't get too high.

as we are over the hump the days are getting longer and that is nice to have more light.

the second round of light replacements went well enough that today we'll be replacing our reflective lights that are CFL shop lights with LED shop lights. the one in Ma's room started to go out after almost 20 years and the others used for the kitchen are the same age and up high too so it will be a time for careful ladder use. new ones use 42watts and should last 50,000hrs.

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Electric fencing is confusing. :)

11. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Skipped the fencing work today, built the new coop, adding the run tomorrow and tomorrow night they move in. The run is next to the compost pile so it is easy to compost, also, it is high up on the property so any leeched nutrients will be absorbed by the mini food forest and then the rest of my property, and then my neighbors since he is downhill.
    Next to the nest box is a plum tree with wisteria that starts the mini food forest area, at the far end is a hedge row / windbreak as well as kiwi fruit.

12. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    raining here today. not snowing. blah! it is winter, it is supposed to be snowing!

the new lights went up without any troubles and are really really bright. like
    sunglasses indoors bright. Ma's first comment the other day when she switched
    them on to start quilting was that she didn't know she had so many colors. :)

yes Brian, i am a ways away from Pak (who is in Oregon on the west coast, i'm in Michigan which
    is mid-west and upper, Benjy is east coast and southern). about as diverse climates as it can
    get hey? :)

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Chooks went into a new per-ma-pen & coop near our compost piles & plum trees.

I need to get my butt in gear for the piggies & ducks (7 black Indian runners) coming. I feel like Winnie the Pooh's friend Rabbit with his note...

B isy Back
    son!

14. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    continuing to be quiet here, all is well, still cold of course. :) Pak, hope you are still doing ok there?
    being careful. sorry to be short, but gotta run.

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Songbird, it is a major win when anything gets done here, but I am trying. Little goals at the moment.

16. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    sounds good and about the same as here.

hang in there. :)

nice enough to be outside today with one long sleeved shirt on.
    snowstorm predicted for tomorrow.

17. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I got more fall gold raspberry plants, apparently these are a nectar insectiary plant as well as a needed plant for Tiger Swallowtail butterflies so they can breed.. Next I need about 8 more williamette raspberry plants & those 2 areas will be done. Transplanted some Gooseberry & planted fava beans with them. Onions got planted & I am still making in ground compost places for my medicinal plants which will go out April 1st.

Ben, what is going on in South Carolina?
    Brian, where are you?
    Hi Songbird!

18. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    hi Pak and anyone else... :)

we had two very nice snowstorms spaced a week apart. the one mostly melted off before
    the next arrived.

now we are looking at mid 50s - mid 60s F for the next week. should start to see some
    of the earliest flowers showing up. they're already poking out of the ground here or
    there... dunno if snow and cold will return, but probably will, it's a little too early for
    full on spring weather.

otherwise, all is ok, glad to see CA picked up more rain and is due for more.

19. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I'm alive, I just need 3 more months of blood thinners. I work slow, but well till I literally collapse. We have 5 new black Indian Runner ducks that are "abby - normal" such as 1 has the genetics of a crested duck & 2 of them have chests like cheetahs.

In other words, like the rest of Oregon, it's all weird here.

20. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate: