Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    wow! wonderful idea! : )

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Agree ... especially like the idea of "less disturbance to the bees". We ordered one even though we don't have bees yet. Should provide some impetus to getting set up in time for June delivery!

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I wrote them, asked several questions such as.... can a person allergic to bees safely procure honey this way? I am awaiting a reply and will pass on the info.

On a side note, I learned what the bees go through in order to make say cranberry honey and so forth. Poor bees. :(

One more thing, I wish I could have a hive for honey on my property, but I don't want to die, I hope something like this helps people like me out.

6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    in reading their website you can set it up to gravity feed through a hose, but somehow you do have to do something that separates the frame for a bit to let it drain out. i'm not sure what that motion is, but i'm sure it could be engineered from a distance. : )

i think though that you still need to do some kind of maintenance on hives once in a while so for you that would probably mean you'd need a full body suit and a fair big of care to make sure there are no bees remaining on the suit after you take it off that you might accidentally stress and cause them to sting.

are you allergic to hornets/wasps too? i'm glad that i'm not allergic to bees, hornets, wasps, etc.

because of how many flowers we grow here there are usually bees of some type always around. as of yet i have not found any to be aggressive (the africanized honey bees have not made it this far north) as long as i don't disturb their nests. the few times i get stung it usually means i've gotten one trapped somehow in the sleeve or have moved too fast and banged against them (walking through the trefoil and alfalfa). in the eight years here i've gotten stung about half a dozen times, most of them from small bees that i hardly even notice, the number of wasps/hornets we have around i have to go around the eves of the house and knock down the nests at least once a week, if i get them early there is only the queen and i do it in the morning when it is cool so they aren't awake yet, i'm usually not either so it is more of a fair match. : )

by far the most painful stings are those from hornets/wasps because they can sting more than once, but i won't ever forget the time a bumble bee got me, i went to harvest a cluster of seeds and didn't notice i'd also grabbed a flower with the bee in it. ow!

7. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

They use a key (rod) inserted which opens the frames. Bees aren't aggressive away from the hive but poor conditions can see them attack as you approach. I was attacked from about 30 metres from an apairy.

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

It does depend on the bees too
    I had very gentle bees, by fluke, as I caught a wild swarm.
    I only got stung about 3 times in 3 or 4 years (mainly them getting caught in my hair).
    I used to walk around it in shorts and a t shirt

9. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

It is a very cool invention and should take off for backyard hives. You still need to care for your bees though doing mainenance etc so Pak you will get stung. Also what do you mean about the cranberry honey?

I love it but I do fear the number of unkept hives will be on the rise.

10. briansworms

My mate the bee keeper reckons it could open up a market for beekeepers to service hives for a fee. They come in a couple of times a year to check the hive for disease or beetle and any other maintenance it needs. Would suit a retired beekeeper or a hobbist

11. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

I'm a hobbiest and I'm in :) that market really will exist.

12. rmcpb

rmcpb Junior Member

While its a brilliant piece of engineering I am not sure it will actually help the bees. For the beek it will be expensive but for the bees it will encourage over havesting.

13. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

How does it work!!!

Pak..... I recon u need to form a symbiotic relationship with someone who wont die when bitten!8)

How does the cost compare im guessing its more expensive than a conventional hive!!
    Are there any replacement parts(consumables)???

14. briansworms

The frames are exceedingly expensive at this stage. The boxes are way over the top too although you can modify a standard box.

15. goshenw

goshenw Junior Member

Permaculture Design
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cool Temperate
    I ordered one too - was planning on getting bees at some stage, and this new method of doing it was very well timed. Expensive, but I'm no beekeeper, and view it as an investment. Glad to see there's a not a large negative response from those on this forum. Seems to be a bit of backlash elsewhere, with the frames made of 'plastic', and generally the idea that if it's easy for humans, it must be bad for the bees.

16. briansworms

Honey is now transported and stored in plastic here in Australia. Normal bee keeping practice is recommended and greedy people will over harvest with either system. No doubt inventers of anything face ridicule from skeptics.

17. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

One problem i could see is that some of the hive diseases and bugs could be an issue with lots of unregulated hives!!

I recon there will Be another level of beauocracy to misadminister backyard hives!!

18. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Hive beetle is a pretty common beetle around here that can be treated with oil traps,but that needs a bit of checking
    Swarming from un checked hives may take of too.

But just on the ease of collection and that you need less equipment to extract its worth it.

19. briansworms

I think if people are going to invest good money they will monitor the hives. Hive beetle will eventually wipe out neglected hives and wild swarms that set up house. Reducing the humidity in the hives can help control beetle. A friend of mine is trialling special slotted bottom boards.

20. briansworms

They have now reached $7,673,143 USD with 7 days to go. 19,880 funders so far. It has slowed up and getting just under $100,000 USD a day.