developing flow forms naturally more than design

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by gardenlen, Mar 12, 2013.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

sorry paka,

best you keep your complex ideas, maybe start your own post, doesn't matter if a fan club follows you and no one responds on mine i simply saying what i am doing.

now further to our developing flow form we are working against the lay of the land and running the chook house roof to the upper most side so water is on property for the longest.

there are many natural simple as flow forms: rivers; creeks also man made canals and siphon systems.

what you showed was commercially made landscape garden ornaments using artificially derived water ie.,. out of the tap. that's ok if that's what people want and can afford.

our flow forms work toward making our soil better.

done it before, it simply works.

there is too much so called research, simple natural forms do not need researching here in perma-c we are supposed to be working simply in the parameters of nature, keep the research out of it as nay research is going to promote the interest of others usually to extract money into their banks eg.,. books are a very good aspect of that wasted paper and ink taking up space.

again Keep It Simple Stupid is the routine.

len

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

How discouraging. Dismissive to the very end, and insulting works by Wilkes, Mollison, Holgrem, Universities, and others; Glad I am in good company with them. Have a nice life.

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

when I have looked at flowforms before , it reminded me of a row of tractor seats ,more precisely a row of arseholes .

4. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

"Does she float?"
    "Yes"
    "Then burn her, she must be a witch!!!"

Apologies to Monty Python and all hard working researches out there. I'm sure Len means well.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Paka, you're right about flow forms, designs for moving water quickly and creating aeration in order to clarify or clean up the water. Like a mushroom-shaped fountain where the water circles rapidly, picking up oxygen, then moves on through a series of them to add more and more oxygen, or where a river enters into the sea it flows in a mushroom-shape swirl, picking up oxygen.

Berms and swales are not about moving water quickly to aerate it. They are about slowing water down, the exact opposite of flow forms.

Terminology is crucial in order for us to be on the same page, or how else can we discuss these things? There are so many misunderstandings about Permaculture already.

No one is criticizing anyone or what they are doing, here, just wanting to clarify terminology :)

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Another term for flowforms is turbulence basins.

From page 102 in Permaculture text book by Bill Mollison and research conducted by Virbella Institute:

Flowform or turbulence basins "efficiently mix air and water by inducing turbulence in flow. Three distinct mixing effects are noticeable; the first a plunge or vertical overturn as fluid drops from one basin to another; the second as a figure-8 or lateral flow around the basins themselves; and the third, (a fascinating process) as an interaction between these two, as water coursing around the basins deflects the vertical drop flow and switches it from side to side in a regular rhythm"