couch grass for grazing?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by dreuky, Jan 22, 2015.

1. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

We have had some so quite heavy summer rain. Very unusual. The Lucerne as really loved it and as well a fair percentage of the block as suddenly sprouted couch grass. I did an internet search and at least some of it came up with couch grass being reasonable fodder for grassing animals. Has anyone had any experience using in couch as a fodder? I am interested because I want to establish perennial grasses as pasture. Most perennial grasses need more than the 350-400 mm that Milang gets. I know native grasses can grow in low rainfall and I do have an area of wallaby grass which I plan first to look after and second to try and spread, but buying native grass seed is unbelievably expensive.

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Cooch is ok feed particularly when green and fresh!
    U probably wont be able to run very many stock with that amount of rain
    fairly easy to collect your own native grass seed! wheat grass(elemus) could b worth a try!!! a good rotation will assist in the development of the sward!

3. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

I am quite aware that the stocking rate is low that's already factored in. But having said that I want to keep the ground covered as much as poss. As I said the wallaby grass seems to grow well so I will definitely be doing my best to spread that and I have transplanted some kangaroo grass from my last place to see how that grows at milang. anyway good to know that couch as a place too

4. WAA WAA

WAA WAA New Member

Climate:
    STORMY OR FIERY
    I am interested to hear how you go. I am also interested in the native pastures. My main concern with them is their ability to survive on low fertility soils that might be acid and also have high aluminium uptake. I emailed the native pasture guys to see if they had an analysis of the native pastures. I looked up plant testing procedures and it is poss to check for nutrients. I did a quick google and similar soils with native species in i think southern america did pick up al in their tissues. I am very hesitant to go native pastures without more information. Although my natural inclination is to want to plant them. I also got told they are less nutritious and the animals have to eat more of them. I have been pondering today if one is planting native pastures one should be using animals that maybe have adapted to survive on them like emu and alpaccas?

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'm not sure why you'd be so stuck on aluminum as it
    is a very common element in the soil. i'm pretty sure
    most creatures have figured out how to ignore it.