Category: Community

Best Kids’ Permaculture Album Ever

The story of the project. Music is by far the raddest way to learn stuff! Our band Formidable Vegetable Sound System has been touring around the world for the past three years singing songs about permaculture (ecological design) at some of the biggest festivals on the planet (Glastonbury, BOOM) in the hope of inspiring people to start growing food everywhere and to take better care of the planet. After releasing […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Permaculture Swaying on the Stunning Emerald Waters of Kilifi, Kenya

It’s no secret that Tom and Romain Mari have totally transformed Kilifi. With their tireless enthusiasm, style, passion, sweat and tears they have managed to create the coolest place on the East African Coastline: Distant Relatives Eco lodge and Backpackers. When we first met them in 2011, we kicked it off immediately; their visions of creating a masterpiece that would re-ignite a sense of global community and a positive scene […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Growing food, Growing Community

The example of the Hawley Hamlet | Tim Rinne | TEDxLincoln We grow enough lawn to cover the state of Ohio. This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. Since 2010, Tim and his wife have gone from a measly little tomato patch to six tenths of an acre (the equivalent of roughly 65 yards of a football field). They have planted over […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Bartering System Makes a Comeback Due to Greek Financial Crisis

Greece is in financial crisis. That’s unlikely to be news to anyone after updates on the Greek economy have been gracing our television screens, newspapers and radios for the last month or so. But most of the reports focus on the impact that the financial crisis and the third bailout programme will have on the country’s banking system and on its large, medium and small business; rather than taking a […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Increased Environmental Awareness amongst Developing World Factory Workers

Industry development plays a pivotal role in the economy of a country. It not only provides employment to local working class but also, it boosts economy by selling and exporting the products manufactured by the factories. As we all know, factories have direct impact on our environment and eco-system. The emissions of gases and disposal of waste products have always been serious threats to the environment. With the beginning of […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Energy Globe Award

National ENERGY GLOBE Award Jordan 2015 Has been won by Geoff Lawton and The Permaculture Research Institute for the Permaculture sites featured inGreening/Re-Greening the Desert “To be honored with this award is a great recognition of our work for a better environment and motivates us to continue our endeavors in the future” Geoff Lawton, National Energy Globe Winner Jordan About the AWARD With more than 170 participating countries and over […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Casa de Paz (House of Peace)

This video, “Casa de Paz” A film by Michelle Moore, has been made available courtesy of Karmatube.org 36th Avenue in the Fruitvale district of East Oakland, California, is the turf of four major gangs. The fourth one, according to Pancho Ramos-Stierle, who is one of the anchors of Casa de Paz (House of Peace), is the police, an institutionalized gang, and the most dangerous. Yet the residents of this house […]

Read More >
0 Comment

PRI Luganville, Set Up Stage 1

Tom and Zaia Kendall from PRI Sunshine Coast join Daniele Bettini, Anne Blanc and Meriem Kadiri to set up the Permaculture Research Institute Luganville in Vanuatu. The Permaculture Research Institute Luganville volunteers, with Aunty Lyn Tom and I arrived in Port Vila Sunday afternoon and went to our accommodation. We settled in and got prepared for the next day. On Monday morning we went to the Financial Services Commission in […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Defining Permaculture Away from the Garden

I’ve recently been interacting with a lot of people who are new to, but completely interested in, Permaculture, and in general, they think of it as a type of gardening. Most often, the explanation I hear of what newbies think Permaculture is revolves around using raised beds. And, honestly, I can remember once feeling much the same. It seems it’s the question so many of us —permies— are forever trying […]

Read More >
0 Comment

A Fresh Perspective on the Drought in California and the Future of the Water Crisis

California’s epic drought began in July 2011 and continues to make life increasingly difficult for its residents as the flow of the water diminishes to a trickle. California has a climate that is classified as Mediterranean partially because the majority of the precipitation accumulates from October to March, when greater than 80% of the state’s rainfall occurs. After an insignificant amount of rainfall in the wet season we are now […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Green in Guatemala, or Planting the Perennial Seeds of Permaculture

Earth Lodge, Aldea El Hato, Guatemala My wife Emma and I have recently been offered roles in two separately exciting projects that are striving to bring permaculture to two very different audiences. One is working with an indigenous community near (as in a two-and-a-half hour bus ride, crossing rivers that have no bridges, into the thick of the jungle) Rio Dulce, Guatemala, one of the most bio-diverse stretches of land […]

Read More >
1 Comment

Permaculture – A Real Education for Children

After writing The Permaculture Student (www.thepermaculturestudent.com), I soon realized that just having a permaculture class in traditional schools wasn’t enough, we needed schools that were entirely dedicated to teaching permaculture to children the full academic year and not in summer. In my research and education, I also have come to realize that we cannot force anyone to learn anything, that all is choice-based if we are seeking true intent, and […]

Read More >
0 Comment