Category: Community

Earth as a Petri Dish: The Problem of Growth

Republished with permission from http://simplicitycollective.com/earth-as-a-petri-dish-the-problem-of-growth The 1972 publication of Limits to Growth sparked a controversy that has yet to subside. This book argued that if population, resource use, and pollution kept growing on our finite planet, eventually economies would face environmental ‘limits to growth’ – with potentially dire consequences. Despite the evidence mounting in support of this position, any suggestion that we might have to give up economic growth, or […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Ecological enterprises for 727 Kenyan farmers

Summary PRI-Kenya’s Permaculture & Regenerative Enterprise Programme is an innovative approach to development aiming to build sustainable livelihoods and food security whilst regenerating the environment in 4 different rural locations in Kenya. We do this through permaculture agroforestry systems where food crops and cash crops are intercropped in a mutually beneficial way. Groups are further supported with ecological value addition, processing and linkages to organic markets. What is the issue, […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Why Are We Being Fed By A Poison Expert?

While we have made a strong effort to put forward strongly positive articles on this site, we will share this very good presentation video by “The Undercurrent” The video is courtesy of their Youtube Channel “The Undercurrent” Is the ‘old’ Monsanto, the one responsible for producing Agent Orange, PCB’s and DDT and a terrible record at covering up and denying the tragedies that have resulted from their use, the same […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Permaculture – a real education for children

After writing The Permaculture Student (www.thepermaculturestudent.com), I soon realized that just having a permaculture class in traditional schools wasn’t enough, we needed schools that were entirely dedicated to teaching permaculture to children the full academic year and not in summer. In my research and education, I also have come to realize that we cannot force anyone to learn anything, that all is choice-based if we are seeking true intent, and […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Human Permaculture: looking at migration as flow to solve problems

Permaculture is largely about turning problems into solutions. Many social issues currently seen as problems, when looked at closely, simply require a little re-organisation or ‘re-design’, which permaculture techniques, even those normally used to design land or water flow, can apply to. These involve looking carefully at the energies which go into a system, and human movements and desires can also be seen as energies. This article will examine a […]

Read More >
2 Comments

2015: A year of ‘firsts’ for Permaculture in Greece!

Tumultuous times? Permaculture power! Go green, Greece! You may be hearing the worst about Greece, so here’s the best news: people are turning to permaculture! All that abandoned land, all those forgotten properties: permaculture is providing appealing solutions that make returning to the land a desirable and delicious option. It’s the only thing that makes sense in a nonsensical world! And in case you are wondering who I am, my […]

Read More >
1 Comment

Permaculture taking its ground in North Laikipia, Kenya!

Editor Note. This site is a great example of Permaculture in an environment that can be quite challenging, if you would like to see first hand how people work with their local conditions, please check out their website here or attend one of the PDC’s on offer. The Laikipia North region is a dryland facing severe problems of drought, food shortage, malnutrition, high mother/infant mortality, climate change challenges, massive soil […]

Read More >
1 Comment

Last Day of IPCUK Live Stream

Today is the last day of the live stream from the 12th International Permaculture Conference. Todays speakers include Geoff Lawton of the Permaculture Research Institute, who will be discussing The Global Potential of Permaculture. For those who missed yesterdays presentations or for those wanting to watch it again, you can view it by pressing play on the player at the bottom of this post or viewing it on the Official […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Designing the World We Want Livestream

The great people hosting the 12th International Permaculture Conference have allowed us to share the live stream of the event through Permaculturenews.org. You can view it now either at their website here or in the player below. This is a great service and is a credit to the professional organisational skills of the men and women from the IPCUK. This will give the whole world the chance to be involved. […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Permaculture Finalist For Environmental Sustainability

Callum Morrison is a Finalist for the Regional Achievement and Community Award. Callum has been working on the Waminda House Community Garden in Benalla, Victoria and started out with the Potbot, now updated to the Dirt Bottle Irrigation. The garden has overgrown during a cold winter but should be re-started again soon. Since writing the previous article on Potbot irrigation, Here is an update. It appears also that the dirt […]

Read More >
1 Comment

New Water Paradigm Case Study: Just Add Water

As anyone who read my post from earlier this year titled ‘Rehydrating the Earth: A New Paradigm for Water Management’ will be aware, the issue of global water management has been a topic of great interest for me for a number of years now. Following on from the writing of this article, which was originally published in the January 2015 edition of the Holistic Science Journal, I was provided with […]

Read More >
0 Comment

Permaculture and the Myth of Overpopulation

When teaching permaculture I often start out by doing a giant problems mind map. I ask students to brainstorm all of the major “problems” they see in the world to reflect on what brought them to study permaculture. Nine times out of ten the idea of overpopulation as a root “problem” in the world comes up. Overpopulation describes a situation where there are too many people for the amount of […]

Read More >
2 Comments