Seitan success!!

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by mouseinthehouse, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I cannot believe how easy it is to make seitan. I just tried it this afternoon and it turned out a roaring success.
    In fact I am eating it right now with sweet chilli sauce after deep frying it. It is golden crispy on the outside and a tender chewy in the middle. Tastes great. I am going to be making a lot more of it for sure. I kept the process as simple and quick as possible.

Dump a heap of flour in a large bowl. Preferably strong white flour but I had to use wholemeal and it was fine. Add water to make a dough and knead it a good bit. Then leave in bowl covered with water for at least an hour.

Then, put the bowl in the sink and run the cold water tap on a gentle flow. Knead and stretch and fold the dough in the bowl, tipping out the cloudy water every couple of minutes. Keep doing this until you are only left with clear water and a stringy, rubbery mass of gluten stands. It will only be about 20% of the size of the original dough.

Gently squeeze as much of the remaining water and air out of the seitan ball as you can without breaking it up. What you do next is up to you. Most recipes say to gently simmer the sliced seitan in a veggie or miso style broth for a half hour or so after which you can drain it and use in any recipe. I skipped the broth simmer and just put slices straight into hot oil until they were looking like flat chicken nuggets. I can just imagine eating these with lemon or plum sauce or sweet and sour etc etc. :) Next stop...tempeh. Ordered some tempeh starter culture today!

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I had success with a batch of tempeh recently. Must be about time to make some more soon.... Dead easy.

3. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

I give it a go.:)

4. clangs92

clangs92 Junior Member

So I know you posted this ages ago but I have been recently wanting to try this seitan business. Glad to hear it seems so easy!