Radical Homemaking

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by 9anda1f, Nov 8, 2014.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    An excellent essay with some astute observations:

(my bold)

https://www.yesmagazine.org/happine...st+Recent+Articles+and+Blogs+-+YES!+magazine)

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  2. Livingston

Livingston New Member

Mother/Teacher/DIYer
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate
    You know I always enjoy that magazine. I seem to never plan to but end up getting every issue in my hands. Radical homemaking is less scary if your not a single parent. Up until last October I worked about 75 hours a week to keep the homestead running for three children and myself. I was working two jobs while pregnant and at the same time finishing my masters and I ended up having my Babylon weeks early from the stress. She was in the NICU for 8 weeks and is truly a miracle. One day I couldn't do it anymore. I realized I had worked every day since my dad died when I was ten years old. I had about a week off in total having three children. Crazy. I quite one job and we all buckled down. Now I landed a teaching position so I'm home every evening, weekends and all summer and I actually have more time to make this homestead able to help take care of us. I guess in a way I've started to rely on it like one would a spouse. I can talk to the land. It can keep us warm, fill our tummys, and give us a sense of belonging. I feel so lucky I was able to hang on to this place even though it seemed impossible. Homemaking is really a loving gift we can give our families and ourselves.

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'm glad you were able to simplify and have come to appreciate your place. :)

i'm lucky too that i can mostly stay home. i'm quite happy being a hermit who
    grows things.

unfortunately there is no credit here for retirement or savings for doing it this
    ways, but we'll see how it turns out...