Permaculture Musicians Unite

Discussion in 'Environmental and Health Professionals Interested' started by Callum EHO, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Callum EHO

Callum EHO Junior Member

There is an ancient chinese saying that
    "You can measure the health of a community by the quality of the music it makes itself!"
    This is a very deep statement and in many communities this is deteriorating and disappearing fast.
    Music is part of any developed and permanent culture and many community bands are starting to age and dissolve in many cultures as they start to break apart.
    Music is an essential way of relaxing in this stressed world and also an important way of passing on messages and communicating. Then there is also the dancing, celebration, atmosphere etc....
    School music programs have probably never been stronger with new technology and the realisation that many musicians are very high achievers and that music helps with development of language, maths and personal development. In many rural communities almost all the local music students disappear off to tertiary education or cannot lower themselves to play in a local band.
    Many audiences now have much higher expectations of music quality after listening for so many hours to artificially engineered digital content.
    So what can we do on this site .............
    Maybe this website would be an ideal meeting place for permaculture musicians or anyone interested in keeping alive community music. Maybe a forum section could be dedicated to music. Threads could be dedicated to each instrument type so they can chat among themselves about types of music, techniques, gigs etc and anyone looking for a player for a performance could maybe make contact with someone and email them the charts etc.
    There are whole bands in danger of dissolving through lack of a “Permaculture Drummer” or “Permaculture Trumpet Players” so we need to set up networks for people to call on. We also need backup players occasionally if someone gets sick, goes on leave or gets injured. Maybe some “Permaculture Bands” could set themselves up as Permaculture Projects on the mapping part of this website so local musicians can see what talent they have locally. Some musicians will travel for hours to the right sort of gig and experience but so often we hear about them too late.
    There is also no reason why we also could not set up discussion threads for “Permaculture Music Teachers”, “Permaculture Vocals”, “Permaculture Harmonica”, “Permaculture Trombone”, “Permaculture Composers”, “Permaculture Song Writers”, “Permaculture Jazz” etc.
    Then there could also be “Permaculture Garage Band”, “Permaculture Band in a Box” etc where people with certain software doing arrangements for bands or writing music could share ideas and collaborate.
    Music is going to have to become alot more organic if local skills are going to survive and rural communities are going to become musical deserts. The generations of people that had to listen to real live music are starting to age and disappear so unless we start doing something about the skills and the audiences the local processing will disappear.

2. youngwarrior

youngwarrior Junior Member

Hey, i write my own original music, but i got a bit lost with what you're trying to say. Do you want to start a band made up of permaculturalist?

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Sounds like a great concept/idea... A "permie band" for a "Jamming Session" Organic of course..

Tezza

4. Callum EHO

Callum EHO Junior Member

I guess now composing of music and programing of music can be done on line so what I was thinking is that between us we could put something together, write, compose etc. Most of us know other muso's that could help each of us perform it where ever we are. Maybe a group of permi musicians could be formed - big distances to cover though but if we put together big enough hits, insted of this dummbed down industrial noise on the radio, it might pay.

5. youngwarrior

My man, I've had a recent idea of everyone downing tools on THEIR property, travelling to a farm destination where someone needs a lot of help. A musically inspired working bee. The permie band rocks out and supplies the working tunes. Everyone could be working and grooving to the tunes they hear through the grape vines! Would be awesome.

I just made a post about donating seeds/plants (https://forums.permaculture.org.au/...ers-propagators-and-permies&p=85028#post85028 ), this idea could be adapted with people bringing their surplus to plant, or cook or in this case to be heard. So that's a possible venue, and a feel good vibe all the way. I think it works all round.

6. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yeah Perma Woodstock sounds great concept..a different state every year...

Unfortunatly i dont compose my own songs. Seems i must just be a De composer:giggle:

7. youngwarrior

There may be a problem... I've got rhythm eggs but are we likely to find a permie who finds it natural to shake them. and their colors are pink and purple, might have to get the light brown paint out(depending on which mum we want to say they came from).

8. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

permaculture dance party>?
    i think there is such a concept

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Sounds just like the Woodford folk festival actually....

10. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

anyone going to the deliveranch this weekend

attempting to organize a tour

11. Lesley W

Lesley W Junior Member

Charlie McGee and Cello Joe are on at the Alexandria Hotel in Sydney tomorrow (Wednesday) night: uke plus beat boxing, loop machine and bicycle-powered speakers :) highly recommended!

Details here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/512092035490844/

[video=youtube;cn49ah6bKzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn49ah6bKzI[/video]

Charlie's usually based in WA (Freo) but is heading up north after Sydney. Great guy so I'm sure would be happy if anyone would like to be in touch.

12. annette

annette Junior Member

A permaculture group featuring Charlie Mcgee was playing at woodford. They were on ABC radio yesterday too singing, "There's no such thing as waste". I can't remember all of their names but one was penny Swale. Appropriate I thought.